IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
first you advocate spaces over tabs (cause multiple invisible characters instead of a single invisible character totally makes sense)

Now vi instead of nano?

Yall just enjoy pain. Its the only explanation.

Tabs are open to interpretation, spaces are deterministic. Why do you keep trying to have this losing argument?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
A friend of mine has been in school for a while now, all for computers. He took an internship with a company that he likes, and now the internship is almost over, they would like him to make an offer to work at the company. He already has a bunch of programming degrees from his years at college, but he's at a point where he doesn't know what to do.

He has 2 choices.
1.) Ask for $40/hour as a part time employee (He was making $35/hour as an intern) while he finishes school for 10 months, getting a bachelors in both business and computer science in the process.

2.) Stop worrying about school and go full time at this company with a $100k/year salary position.

What do you guys suggest? Finish school making a great part-time wage (it will take him around 10 months to complete school), or go for the full time $100k position? As people in this industry, how much weight does a bachelors degree carry?

Last edited:

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Unity, C#, Python & C++ mostly, a bit of database management too. That's the area.
He already has associates degrees in Web Programming, Computer Graphics, and Game Development.

The internship was dealing with augmented reality. He's working for a company that is using augmented reality to assist buyers of their physical products.

He wanted me to give this info as well:
He lives in a very low income & cost of living area, and the wages reflect that. $100k a year there isn't like say... California. The same job offer at their California location would be in the $250k a year range. The average yearly income of most residents in his area are only 14-18k a year. Less than minimum wage.

He said if he went full time, he would decide to stay where he's at already, but "eventually" could decide to move to California and his same company would pay him $250k a year to do so.

Last edited:

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
A friend of mine has been in school for a while now, all for computers. He took an internship with a company that he likes, and now the internship is almost over, they would like him to make an offer to work at the company. He already has a bunch of programming degrees from his years at college, but he's at a point where he doesn't know what to do.

He has 2 choices.
1.) Ask for $40/hour as a part time employee (He was making $35/hour as an intern) while he finishes school for 10 months, getting a bachelors in both business and computer science in the process.

2.) Stop worrying about school and go full time at this company with a $100k/year salary position.

What do you guys suggest? Finish school making a great part-time wage (it will take him around 10 months to complete school), or go for the full time $100k position? As people in this industry, how much weight does a bachelors degree carry?

If it's a stable opportunity and 100k is a good wage for the area, I'm quitting school and going to work full time. Even better though, would be to part time school and still finish the degree (just at a slower pace). The biggest risk I suppose would be getting let go after like 6 months and not really having enough experience to get his next job or the degree to fall back on. I suppose he could always finish up school though at that point.

Kiki

Log Wizard
He won't even get an interview anywhere else decent without a degree. They won't even look at you even if it doesn't matter in the slightest.

I would get the piece of paper that is useless once you have an interview unless he can just go back later and pick it up. He'll get the work experience regardless since he already works there.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Xarpolis Xarpolis
How many classes is he missing?

Toward the end of the career, you can take night classes. Also I don't understand why is one or the other? Why can't the company offer him a full time position and pay for his tuition, or allow him to take classes 2 per semester?

Being full time does not mean 40 hours of work per week. He can be full time and leave an hour early every day to get to school. If he likes the company, and the kind of work he does, he can negotiate that.

PS tell him to finish the degree.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

He has 2 choices.

Tell him to finish his degree. The $100k job will still be there in 10 months, and if it isn't it will be somewhere else. Finish the degree!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Tell him to quit school and then when he gets laid off he has to work at McDonald's for the rest of his life

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Tell him to finish his degree. The $100k job will still be there in 10 months, and if it isn't it will be somewhere else. Finish the degree!

Funny, I see it the other way around. College will still be there in 10 months and a decent job may very will not be.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

He has 2 choices.

If he can work part time at a high hourly rate while finishing his degree in a timely manner, that would likely be the best choice.

I'm about to be in a similar situation. Our new Chief People Officer (worst title EVER) told me they would make an exception to the previous rule against part time employees and pay me Per Diem as a telecom engineer on nights and weekends if I wanted to go back and finish my Masters degree, though that has less to do with me and more to do with the fact that they are adopting policies that worked from the company we just bought, from which she came from.

I don't think I'll take up the offer though. I'm just gaining way more valuable experience in IT/telecoms than anything I was learning in grad school on the track I was on. I would have to totally change education trajectories to even think about going back to college. There are also too many new opportunities coming up as a result of the reoganization of the combined company.

Last edited:

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Thanks a lot for all of your opinions everyone. My friend is in bed already, but I'm giving him all the posts. He has to give the company a response by 8:30am EST tomorrow morning. I'll let you know what he says. And if anyone else wants to chime in before then, I'll give him the info.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
No shit, I'm clinging to the edge of my seat.

In a similar situation, I have buddy without a degree that is incredibly smart, and after about 18 years of being in the work force (and about 10 in his field) was promoted to director. To get any higher he should (in theory) have to go back and get a college degree.

• 1Solidarity

Vinen

God is dead
No shit, I'm clinging to the edge of my seat.

In a similar situation, I have buddy without a degree that is incredibly smart, and after about 18 years of being in the work force (and about 10 in his field) was promoted to director. To get any higher he should (in theory) have to go back and get a college degree.

Why? He's already proven his worth. He should more concerned if was to jump to another company then his current.

Only Government contractors truly require degrees for promotion. (It's required for billing, etc)

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
He decided to continue with school and working part time. However, now he says there's a possibility that the company will think that's too much hassle, and will outright fire him when his internship is over. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I'm 6 hours behind the East Coast, and I typically go to bed 6am EST.

It gets better though. This guy's family is a bunch of shit. His father is a good guy and smart, so he left the situation a long time ago. The mother is a hunk of white trash shit. She has this "innocent" dog that actually bites ANYONE that tries to pet it, but it's the sweetest thing, so she won't get rid of it. And she hasn't had a job in 12 years. So she has zero income. She's on disability, so she has health insurance through that, and takes this really expensive medicine (12k a month). So if she has any sort of job, that is considered income, and she would lose disability status. And that would also take her health insurance. So his piece of shit mom is living in a house that was owned by his step father before he died. He owed a lot of money on it, and she's been squatting there ever since. But the house finally goes up for auction next month. The mother spoke with the bank and even with her zero income, they offered her a loan to buy the house (pay the debt). And she is expecting my friend to pay for it all. What kind of bullshit is this?

Last edited:
  • 1Like