IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Math has always been my road block towards a BS but I'm still trudging thRough it along with certs. I'm fortunate IT is one of those fields where my experiences has landed me decent gigs along with further learning opportunities.

Hell, I'd rather continue learning on the job and certs'ing it up, but I'm finding there's a stigma (sometimes) if you haven't finished a college degree amongst your peers. Also would like to break out of SysAdmin roles before I hit 40. :rolleyes:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
He decided to continue with school and working part time. However, now he says there's a possibility that the company will think that's too much hassle, and will outright fire him when his internship is over. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I'm 6 hours behind the East Coast, and I typically go to bed 6am EST.
Getting the right people for the job is worth almost any amount of hassle. That's incredibly short sighted of the company and should be a red flag for your friend.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
He decided to continue with school and working part time. However, now he says there's a possibility that the company will think that's too much hassle, and will outright fire him when his internship is over. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I'm 6 hours behind the East Coast, and I typically go to bed 6am EST.

It gets better though. This guy's family is a bunch of shit. His father is a good guy and smart, so he left the situation a long time ago. The mother is a hunk of white trash shit. She has this "innocent" dog that actually bites ANYONE that tries to pet it, but it's the sweetest thing, so she won't get rid of it. And she hasn't had a job in 12 years. So she has zero income. She's on disability, so she has health insurance through that, and takes this really expensive medicine (12k a month). So if she has any sort of job, that is considered income, and she would lose disability status. And that would also take her health insurance. So his piece of shit mom is living in a house that was owned by his step father before he died. He owed a lot of money on it, and she's been squatting there ever since. But the house finally goes up for auction next month. The mother spoke with the bank and even with her zero income, they offered her a loan to buy the house (pay the debt). And she is expecting my friend to pay for it all. What kind of bullshit is this?
Talk to Mist Mist .

She is our local expert on trash moms.

That should scare him... or anyone.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

It gets better though. This guy's family is a bunch of shit. His father is a good guy and smart, so he left the situation a long time ago. The mother is a hunk of white trash shit. She has this "innocent" dog that actually bites ANYONE that tries to pet it, but it's the sweetest thing, so she won't get rid of it. And she hasn't had a job in 12 years. So she has zero income. She's on disability, so she has health insurance through that, and takes this really expensive medicine (12k a month). So if she has any sort of job, that is considered income, and she would lose disability status. And that would also take her health insurance. So his piece of shit mom is living in a house that was owned by his step father before he died. He owed a lot of money on it, and she's been squatting there ever since. But the house finally goes up for auction next month. The mother spoke with the bank and even with her zero income, they offered her a loan to buy the house (pay the debt). And she is expecting my friend to pay for it all. What kind of bullshit is this?

Tech people are in high demand, if he had the skills to be worth a $100k job now, he'll have the skills to be worth a $100k job 10 months from now + a degree. If the company outright fires him because he wanted to finish his degree its not a company he wanted to work for anyway and he should be happy he evaded that.

• 1Like

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Signed a client in Florida this morning. Have to have someone out there by the last week in July to do a hand over.

I've handled all the hand overs thus far...But I know any one of my team members can handle it just fine, and its freaking beach-front Florida.

I can't afford to send all 3, but 2 is doable given the client size. How do I pick who gets a week in Florida on the company?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It might surprise you that someone might not like visiting Florida in July. Or Florida at all.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
IT, in general, has to be the leader in skills over a degree for job qualification. No job I have ever interviewed for gave two shits about a degree. They cared if I knew BGP or SCOM or Exchange, yadda yadda.

• 1Solidarity

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yet still, you'll find tons of people in IT saying they can't meet overly stringent or nonsensical hiring requirements. Can't get hired if you can't even get past HR.

In security it's becoming a huge issue. HR doesn't understand what we do, they are somehow being allowed to write reqs requiring certain certifications and degree profiles for roles, there are people who are the top of the field int hat role who don't meet those stupid requirements, it's a big circle jerk.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Why are the people pictured whales? Also "jobs in demand" paying 40k a year? :D
Sad reflection of new trends. Easy to laugh and hard to imagine but younger generations will have to get used to it. There will be quite a lot of continued downward pressure on salaries of great numbers of IT, programming and even engineering jobs as they become trivialized by software automation. It is not just truck drivers that should be worried.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Sad reflection of new trends. Easy to laugh and hard to imagine but younger generations will have to get used to it. There will be quite a lot of continued downward pressure on salaries of great numbers of IT, programming and even engineering jobs as they become trivialized by software automation. It is not just truck drivers that should be worried.
And who is going to write the software for automation?

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Over the course of half a generation to a generation, software and peoples experience is already obsoleted and replaced with newer processes and tools. That already happens now but it is slow compared to progress possible with automated learning which promises to scale much better and faster than human teaching & training.

Automated learning will be the equivalent, or perhaps worse, disruption compared to what automation was to the manufacturing industry, or software was to banking/office space over the last 100 years. Perhaps much worse. More and more software & machine code will be generated and but with fewer and fewer programmers (and companies) involved. Trends in software and hardware consolidation into centralized services (bleh aka cloud) will only accelerate progress in this direction.

And no this has nothing to do really with AI or even inteligence, neither is necessary for a great disruption: for a great majority of the work done by humans, much of it is already drudgery that could be automated with dumb learning systems. There will always be lots of shit (work) to do.... but more and more often it will pay shit as well, even in IT/programming & engineering.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Over the course of half a generation to a generation, software and peoples experience is already obsoleted and replaced with newer processes and tools. That already happens now but it is slow compared to progress possible with automated learning which promises to scale much better and faster than human teaching & training.

Automated learning will be the equivalent, or perhaps worse, disruption compared to what automation was to the manufacturing industry, or software was to banking/office space over the last 100 years. Perhaps much worse. More and more software & machine code will be generated and but with fewer and fewer programmers (and companies) involved. Trends in software and hardware consolidation into centralized services (bleh aka cloud) will only accelerate progress in this direction.

And no this has nothing to do really with AI or even inteligence, neither is necessary for a great disruption: for a great majority of the work done by humans, much of it is already drudgery that could be automated with dumb learning systems. There will always be lots of shit (work) to do.... but more and more often it will pay shit as well, even in IT/programming & engineering.
And who is writing software for automated learning? Its not writing itself.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Who's babysitting the AI, the servers the AI run on, the network switches the AI talks on, the APIs the AIs use to communicate with each other and other applications?

Oh wait, more AIs are doing that. Fuck.

I think the idea will be that there will be less babysitting stuff and other maintenance tasks, and more deployment of new tools and processes to enable better business outcomes. Developing, monitoring and improving processes that manage how humans input shit through the AI funnel, and how AI inputs shit through the human funnel, seems like the biggest part of the integration of AI systems with the human workforce that continues doing things that only humans are good at.

I think this is a long ways off though. Working in business-to-business IT services has shown me just how slow most businesses are to adopting any type of change at all. The answer is really fucking slow.

"What do you mean you can't find a tech to service my 20 year old phone system at 3am? We practically just got that thing."

The business proposition of AI deployments would have to be staggering and the implementation risks would have to be absolutely minimal before most companies will jump on it. wilkxus is right, it'll be just like "moving business to the cloud" is now except likely even slower due to the challenges and risks involved. It'll happen, just slower than the actual technology develops.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
It might surprise you that someone might not like visiting Florida in July. Or Florida at all.

All 3 of my team have mentioned the desire to go. "we are hot in Texas. Might as well be hot on a beach" was the consensus at my team meeting this morning.

I'm just eating into budgeting and sending all 3, I think.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You could always go with the "draw straws" approach. Or a favorite, dollar flip. The 3 of them flip a dollar in the air. The one that lands with the off side up loses. You may have to do it 2-3 times, but it always works.

IE - all 3 flip a dollar in the air (while standing). 2 of them land on the face, one lands with the building. In a betting situation, he would win, but if you're going for 2 out of 3, they win.