IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
/brofist

putty is right next to Chrome and R in my my frequently used shortcuts. Putty for life

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I actually don't use Putty anymore now that I just ssh through GitBash ran inside ConEmu for multi-tabbing. It kind of deprecated Putty for me. Putty is better for keeping track of a bunch of different hosts, though.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
They might know it under a pseudonym. I haven't heard anyone use or reference putty in a while. I usually just open a cygwin prompt.

Dat IA department is not real keen on Cygwin. I use putty and a little addon called MTPutty to add some tabs.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I have put all my things that I need to terminal into in my Guacamole install and so I don't need putty ever again as long as I have web access.

Sometimes I have to do local routers at work and so we have putty on the machines there but it is rare that I log on and configure them.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
They're very strict on what programs we can use here. Just putty
Guacamole is all in browser, not an installed program.

I doubt you can access your local stuff with it though so it's a moot point for you.

I use it very specifically since I can't hit port 22 at work and I can't install anything. I just open my browser and I can RDP my desktop at home and SSH into all the things I control.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Some old fuck gave me a hard time that I implemented twos complement crc on a message(which, btw, was in the spec).

He told me I need to investigate overflow even though I used the shitty algorithm that's tried and true in every book ever written.

I don't even know why..

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Guacamole is all in browser, not an installed program.

I doubt you can access your local stuff with it though so it's a moot point for you.

I use it very specifically since I can't hit port 22 at work and I can't install anything. I just open my browser and I can RDP my desktop at home and SSH into all the things I control.
Holy shit I love you

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
So I'm going home tonight to update my resume - I've worked for the same manufacturing company in various management positions for 20 years. I have a year of production supervision experience (45 - 50 employees), 10 years process control/improvement, product development and quality management (4 - 5 employees), and 9 years production planning/supply chain experience. I've been working with MSAccess since I don't have anything else and have set up relational databases for several departments over this time.

What's a good place to get resume tips to get in to something in IT/data analysis fields? I've got to get out of this environment where everyone stands around with their heads up their asses and fingers pointing elsewhere saying (albeit muffled) "it's their fault." Not that they don't do it elsewhere, but it's incredibly frustrating to come up with information and possible solutions no one wants.

Last edited:

Tenks

Tip #1 would be say you simply have relational database experience and conveniently don't say it is with Access

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
Tip #1 would be say you simply have relational database experience and conveniently don't say it is with Access

Thanks, yeah I can't say I'm fond of it, but since it's what I had I've used it. Some of these guys wouldn't bother with computers if we didn't have an accounting department.

But hey, our CFO loves me since I'm able to pull manufacturing data out of the back-end of our archaic online monitoring systems and correlate it to data out of our inventory/order system (AS400) so she can call bullshit on most of their weak excuses.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
We got a call into our NOC tonight. Our CEO drove the wrong Escalade home from the bar, and the manager needed to get in touch with him.

It was all a big mixup, though; it turns out the valet accidentally gave him the keys for his neighbor's Escalade, and they're just going to swap Escalades back in the morning, no big deal.

The whitest problem I've ever heard of.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
We got a call into our NOC tonight. Our CEO drove the wrong Escalade home from the bar, and the manager needed to get in touch with him.

It was all a big mixup, though; it turns out the valet accidentally gave him the keys for his neighbor's Escalade, and they're just going to swap Escalades back in the morning, no big deal.

The whitest problem I've ever heard of.
That was an episode of Modern Family also but Priuses so Hollywood agrees with you.

Tenks

People still drive Escalades? They're so tacky I thought they died out with the Hummer craze.

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
Quite a few around here, they all have chrome spinners, dark tint and are lowered.

Confirmed CEO is a pimp.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well duh. It takes longer to type out 4 spaces than one tab so you have more billable hours!