IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

kudos

<Banned>
I have officially been able to go 100% cellphone based for work.

Email? mobile
Inventory management? mobile
Maintain VM's? mobile
Lan? mobile
SSH? mobile
Monitor firewall? mobile
Monitor enterprise anti-virus? mobile

I can literally RDP into the imaging server from my phone and image 20 computers if I wanted to. The backup server can also be monitored by RDP from the phone. Almost everything sends me a report every morning anyway to my email.

I literally do not need a laptop anymore for my day-to-day work flow. Technology is amazing.

I just bought a battery charger case to make sure my phone doesn't die while I sit at the bar "working".

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So update on my multi-department application upgrade.

Its still running on a box on my desk but after arguing with 2 managers and 3 directors they finally gave me some dev infrastructure. I have to find a way to cheat into production use without actually being a, "live" application. This is so I don't have to go through all the big corporate hoops (documentation, business continuity, operations teams, etc). I already have some of these things. But the amount of dox needed for a live application here would take me a month by myself alone.

I have a way of cheating this to prod but I am not going to be telling them that. The next piece will be arguing for the very specific user accounts I need to do this without them understanding what I intend to do with them. Which is easy because some of these people are fucking retards. But also very slow because man do big companies move slow. I also have to fight with a platform team to solve my access issue for a business intelligence product to a reporting cube. Then potentially another one.

I do have to go through part of the hoops though. I wrote out requirements and they want some dudes to make wireframes for it or some shit. Which I am going to ignore while I build out the system. We've decided on developing the new web app in Angular as its popular lately in the office. One thing I really really dislike about tech is how so many new frameworks come out every single year. Get picked up for a few applications then discarded next year. After five years of this half the applications we have running are built in code that nobody is familiar with and can barely maintain or improve. God damn engineering archaeology. I read a really cool article about that concept in the modern era but cannot find it at present.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Your framework complaint mostly lies in the web sphere. It does seem like every other year some hot new framework is out and if you're not using it you may be running on ancient garbage.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
We've decided on developing the new web app in Angular as its popular lately in the office. One thing I really really dislike about tech is how so many new frameworks come out every single year. Get picked up for a few applications then discarded next year. After five years of this half the applications we have running are built in code that nobody is familiar with and can barely maintain or improve. God damn engineering archaeology. I read a really cool article about that concept in the modern era but cannot find it at present.

ReactJS is a lot better than Angular.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So update on my multi-department application upgrade.

Its still running on a box on my desk but after arguing with 2 managers and 3 directors they finally gave me some dev infrastructure. I have to find a way to cheat into production use without actually being a, "live" application. This is so I don't have to go through all the big corporate hoops (documentation, business continuity, operations teams, etc). I already have some of these things. But the amount of dox needed for a live application here would take me a month by myself alone.

I have a way of cheating this to prod but I am not going to be telling them that. The next piece will be arguing for the very specific user accounts I need to do this without them understanding what I intend to do with them. Which is easy because some of these people are fucking retards. But also very slow because man do big companies move slow. I also have to fight with a platform team to solve my access issue for a business intelligence product to a reporting cube. Then potentially another one.

I do have to go through part of the hoops though. I wrote out requirements and they want some dudes to make wireframes for it or some shit. Which I am going to ignore while I build out the system. We've decided on developing the new web app in Angular as its popular lately in the office. One thing I really really dislike about tech is how so many new frameworks come out every single year. Get picked up for a few applications then discarded next year. After five years of this half the applications we have running are built in code that nobody is familiar with and can barely maintain or improve. God damn engineering archaeology. I read a really cool article about that concept in the modern era but cannot find it at present.
Man... BC isn't just some stupid corporate hoop (and I think you're actually referring to DR, not really BC). Making shit is available constantly regardless of where it lives just makes it durable and usable, instead of having to worry about some prima donna developer getting fired for being an asshole and the computer under a desk going down because of a power-dip in the office.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Man... BC isn't just some stupid corporate hoop (and I think you're actually referring to DR, not really BC). Making shit is available constantly regardless of where it lives just makes it durable and usable, instead of having to worry about some prima donna developer getting fired for being an asshole and the computer under a desk going down because of a power-dip in the office.

DR is just called BC here because its a softer word as far as I can tell. I have a form of disaster recovery already and backups that deploy automatically should anything happen. The corporate hoop is doing it the stupid ass way they want me to do it that really isn't beneficial for this size of an application. Majority of the data I am using is from a live enterprise db with its own, enterprise scale BC anyway. They have some silly standards here about certain things. Like using Autosys schedulers for EVERYTHING. I hate that.

Sorry if I didn't explain that earlier.

Lendarios Lendarios I don't have that much control here. It's either use Angular where I'll get support or be on my own.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I'm very biased on the topic of Angular vs ReactJs.

At my work, where I lost this argument, it was partly because I drank the angular's guy koolaid in the beginning. Turns out I was left behind having to figure out stuff on my own, on a technology that has a notoriously steep learning curve.

So I switched tactics, made my peace with it and I proceed to NOT work with it, I have avoided it for now close to year an a half.

So fast forward to now, everyone that is working on angular, is tired of working with angular, they are struck on angular 1, while the Web moved on to react 4, without an actual workable upgrade path, and im just laughing everytime they have to upgrade, because they cant. Everytime they have to get together to solve a problem what with ReactJs would have been anon issue, I am literally smirking at my desk .

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What about angular 4? Any support on that?

No. Just Angular 2, which is now called Angular for some reason. The one with the typescript stuff. I suppose it's better than Sencha. Which is what they were using before Angular became popular.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
No. Just Angular 2, which is now called Angular for some reason. The one with the typescript stuff. I suppose it's better than Sencha. Which is what they were using before Angular became popular.
Angular 4 is the latest version of angular 2. Typescript is something separate altogether and it is very helpful to detect errors on compile time.

Godspeed on your project.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Angular 4 is the latest version of angular 2. Typescript is something separate altogether and it is very helpful to detect errors on compile time.

Godspeed on your project.

I'm not really familiar with it yet but we're going balls deep with it like next week. I'll tell you how it goes!

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
DR is just called BC here because its a softer word as far as I can tell. I have a form of disaster recovery already and backups that deploy automatically should anything happen. The corporate hoop is doing it the stupid ass way they want me to do it that really isn't beneficial for this size of an application. Majority of the data I am using is from a live enterprise db with its own, enterprise scale BC anyway. They have some silly standards here about certain things. Like using Autosys schedulers for EVERYTHING. I hate that.

Sorry if I didn't explain that earlier.

Lendarios Lendarios I don't have that much control here. It's either use Angular where I'll get support or be on my own.
Yeah. They're being dumb, DR is a part of a larger BC plan, and refers mainly to technology. BC is everything (exec succession plans, new facilities, potential loss of life scenarios, etc).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah. They're being dumb, DR is a part of a larger BC plan, and refers mainly to technology. BC is everything (exec succession plans, new facilities, potential loss of life scenarios, etc).

Well then they definitely include everything under the BC umbrella. It USED to be called DR here. But they just stopped using that word.

Vinen

God is dead
Well then they definitely include everything under the BC umbrella. It USED to be called DR here. But they just stopped using that word.

DR is part of BC :shrug:
It is correct that DR is part of a proper BC plan.

// just saw someone said this earlier.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
16 year old kid on Reddit made this and asked if it was legal.

It apparently stream s any movie ever

ZUU | Watch Anything, Anywhere

So he took the model of the Chinese sites that get past filtering because they're in Chinese and made it in English?

My lady uses several sites that are Netflix quality, free and illegal but nobody bans them because you need to search in Chinese to even find them. Somehow this escapes all filters that would otherwise draw attention to it.