IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So I have a old hp dl360 with vmware on it to play with. Fired it up the other day and got as far as creating a vm and installing windows 7 on it. Is there any good tutorials or how to's to start getting some understating/knowledge of it?
Hang out a lot on r/homelab and also join their discord, it's what I have done to learn a lot.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've been on no contract for like 3 months now, picking up tidbits here and there. None of it is software engineering, it's document control or updating databases. I hate sitting around. I also feel guilty because I'm charging a contract to "read documentation" that I really finished two weeks ago. I feel like a zombie here.

Already talking to a few recruiters. One for a big company in Cambridge that no one wants to work for along with Dell emc again

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You're not going to be programming and designing 100% as your career progresses. But, I also realize your frustration. It's hard to realize that isn't programming or designing as forwarding your career and at what balance you should maintain(there's always going to be some bullshit work to do). I struggle with that myself. I got a promotion recently and I'm now basically the test system janitor because of how not-automated this homegrown system is. Quite frustrating especially when I feel like I'm being tasked to do the job of at least 1.5 persons.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
I've been on no contract for like 3 months now, picking up tidbits here and there. None of it is software engineering, it's document control or updating databases. I hate sitting around. I also feel guilty because I'm charging a contract to "read documentation" that I really finished two weeks ago. I feel like a zombie here.

Already talking to a few recruiters. One for a big company in Cambridge that no one wants to work for along with Dell emc again
Set your own standard and bar, sounds like you have the luxury to do this at your leisure. Consider doing some more legwork investigating before moving this time? Perhaps look into what type of work they might have you do, what type of projects they have etc. Be prepared to put these other things up for discussion during interviews. You got plenty of experience and its kind of expected for anyone not green out of school.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
When I was at my last job doing absolutely 0 for 8 hours a day, it totally sucked the ambition out of me to do interesting shit in my free time. It was the opposite of what my expectation was. I thought I would make all of that lost time up by doing projects at home but by the time I get back to the house, I just wanted a beer and to get my mind back to normal.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You're not going to be programming and designing 100% as your career progresses. But, I also realize your frustration. It's hard to realize that isn't programming or designing as forwarding your career and at what balance you should maintain(there's always going to be some bullshit work to do). I struggle with that myself. I got a promotion recently and I'm now basically the test system janitor because of how not-automated this homegrown system is. Quite frustrating especially when I feel like I'm being tasked to do the job of at least 1.5 persons.
I realize that I won't always be programing but besides the first 6 months here I'm not doing ANY. Definitely not what I signed up for.

My boss already told me know I'm not challenged and said something like this place is a good resume booster. Unfortunately I've only been here a year

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
When I was at my last job doing absolutely 0 for 8 hours a day, it totally sucked the ambition out of me to do interesting shit in my free time.
Surprisingly it has worked out the opposite for me. I am at work for 12 hour shifts and do about an hour of actual work each day.

That gave me time to learn all the things I have server related that have nothing to do with my job and is what got this forum up and running. I do hate that I do nothing at work for years now but I have made myself better as a result.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
When I was at my last job doing absolutely 0 for 8 hours a day, it totally sucked the ambition out of me to do interesting shit in my free time. It was the opposite of what my expectation was. I thought I would make all of that lost time up by doing projects at home but by the time I get back to the house, I just wanted a beer and to get my mind back to normal.
Pretty much the same here. And when there isn't much to distract me at home(i.e. no video games I'm looking forward to playing), I get depressed because my job sucks and I have little faith in my superiors to allocate the necessary manpower to fix it. Which, looks stupid now that I'm typing it out, but I can't deny it happens. We(the few people in the test department) are stuck in a vicious cycle of spending too much time manually reviewing results and fixing machines in order to implement the automated way of handling things properly long term.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
There are lots of opportunities in the defense sector and you got that clearance already which makes it easy to move around. GD has been decent to me so far. They have embedded dev stuff like this: Software and Controls Engineer open a lot - though I have no idea if it would turn out to be another job that sounds better than it really is.

If you ever wanted to move to NC and develop C# bullshit I could get a job at the best place on base.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Unfortunately it feels like defense may not be for me. Dealing with contracts and other bullshit is terrible

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It was not a mistake. You were worse in your last job. You just don't remember it now, but we do!!!

Do you want us to remind you =)

plus enjoy doing nothing, until your next gig.
I don't like browsing Reddit for 8 hours a day.

I did dislike my last job, but at least most of the time I had work. Emc was much better than both

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I vastly prefer to be busy than sitting around having to post on FoH all day. At least I can boot up Overwatch or something to pass the time but if you do it too much it'll raise alarms as well. I come home way more exhausted doing nothing all day than jamming on the keyboard all day.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
... along with Dell emc again

Where do you live? What's your background? What do you want to do? PM me, we just did sizing for FY19 and need a person for next year, especially if you have experience with automation. We also have two open Req's already, one for primarily coordinating, and another in an advisory role. I'm on the DFS IT side of Dell. I'm in a tester role for third party merchants, and don't deal with Dell directly, but the rest of my team does.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Unfortunately it feels like defense may not be for me. Dealing with contracts and other bullshit is terrible

Your shit sounds janky man, it isn't all like that. I've always worked on continuous service contracts where I work directly with the customer on their site and charge all my hours to a single code. As long as it's a cool customer it's a cool job. I don't how prevalent this model is for developers on the whole, but we have quite a few here.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I vastly prefer to be busy than sitting around having to post on FoH all day. At least I can boot up Overwatch or something to pass the time but if you do it too much it'll raise alarms as well. I come home way more exhausted doing nothing all day than jamming on the keyboard all day.
I wish my wife wanted to move to CA