IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Where do you live? What's your background? What do you want to do? PM me, we just did sizing for FY19 and need a person for next year, especially if you have experience with automation. We also have two open Req's already, one for primarily coordinating, and another in an advisory role. I'm on the DFS IT side of Dell. I'm in a tester role for third party merchants, and don't deal with Dell directly, but the rest of my team does.
I'll pm you

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I know what you're saying but we all know it isn't that cut and dry. I'd never force my wife to move somewhere she didn't want to be

By the same token if you can't get a job that gives you what you need and you need to move, would she override you without a thought? It has to be a give and take on such things.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
By the same token if you can't get a job that gives you what you need and you need to move, would she override you without a thought? It has to be a give and take on such things.
I think she'd be open to discuss it, she's just very much against moving

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
These days that doesn't mean much when we're WFH 4+days a week.

WFH is nice but I wouldn't count on it when making an employment decision or housing decision. They can revoke that and demand you're in the office 100% the next day.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
WFH is nice but I wouldn't count on it when making an employment decision or housing decision. They can revoke that and demand you're in the office 100% the next day.
Speaking specifically to Dell. Our groups are split across India, Philippines, Brazil, Ireland, Canada, Mexico, Texas, Tennessee, and more - so remote is almost mandated. Only reason you'd need to be on site is for hardware support.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I wish my wife wanted to move to CA

Don't get me wrong I still love my job but every job eventually becomes just a job. Only real difference is I have an actual passion for my product since it is for a company I love. But it isn't like M-F I wake up going "Oh boy! Work time!"

Also Orange County is stupid, stupid, stupid expensive. My combined income is ~200 now and no kids and I could just barely afford an entry level townhouse. Especially if you don't want to live in a sketch area. So basically south OC.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Also Orange County is stupid, stupid, stupid expensive. My combined income is ~200 now and no kids and I could just barely afford an entry level townhouse. Especially if you don't want to live in a sketch area. So basically south OC.

Yeah, it's retarded. Unless you move out to shitass IE or something, you are basically in poverty making < 200k within a 150 mile radius of LA.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Speaking specifically to Dell. Our groups are split across India, Philippines, Brazil, Ireland, Canada, Mexico, Texas, Tennessee, and more - so remote is almost mandated. Only reason you'd need to be on site is for hardware support.

Where do YOU work, geographically?

Cause I got some bones to pick with your MozyPro bullshit.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
How hard is it to find hardware programming jobs? One company I've always wanted to pursue working for is Joyent because it's basically all the best engineers from Sun building some awesome shit.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah, it's retarded. Unless you move out to shitass IE or something, you are basically in poverty making < 200k within a 150 mile radius of LA.

I was actually surprised how many people said a major reason for applying at my company was to move to Southern California. Sure actually living in OC is great (especially near the coast where the temp is manageable all year) but you have to make a ton of concessions. It isn't necessarily a place I'd target to move to. If I had to live in IE/Riverside I'd rather just live in the Midwest than that furnace.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
How hard is it to find hardware programming jobs? One company I've always wanted to pursue working for is Joyent because it's basically all the best engineers from Sun building some awesome shit.

I'm 3/3 hardware programming jobs

Easy for me but the first one fell in my lap

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I was actually surprised how many people said a major reason for applying at my company was to move to Southern California. Sure actually living in OC is great (especially near the coast where the temp is manageable all year) but you have to make a ton of concessions. It isn't necessarily a place I'd target to move to. If I had to live in IE/Riverside I'd rather just live in the Midwest than that furnace.

You are in one of the pricier areas as well. How long is your commute? I live 30-40 min north and while also not cheap up here, it isn't ridiculous like down there. We're still no Silicon Valley/SF.

IE is awful, I'd rather move back to Vegas.