IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Sorry Mist. No offense to you.
Eh. I make a lot of money now. I got a 9% raise at the start of the year, then helped get my whole team a 15% raise on top of that, and now I just got a 30% raise on top of all of that. I'm also still hourly, and the least I have worked in the past year is is 55 hours, so I'm now taking home just shy of 2 grand a week, which is just stupid money.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
After 2 weeks of them trying to keep me under 50 hours they're now begging me to work 60+ again, at my new rate.

Welp.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Eh. Let's do some math.

Even at my shitty rate the first 8 months of the year, I'll end this year having made around 95-100k. Had to work 70 hours a week from January-August to do it, but a lot of people have salaried positions where they work similar hours and come out with less money.

Over the next year I'll likely make ~125k working 60 hours a week at my new rate.

The year after that, I'll likely be on a higher tier team working full-time remote making even more money.

Doesn't seem worth it to throw that away.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
But you complain about it near incessantly. You can only complain so much until there's really no help that can be provided.

It was sort of like that with big W.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
But you complain about it near incessantly. You can only complain so much until there's really no help that can be provided.

Also, the experience is just amazing here. You pretty much have to teach yourself everything, but there's not too many other jobs where you're learning Voice, Data, Contact Center applications, Exchange UM, Skype for Business Server (including lots and lots of Avaya <-> Microsoft SIP and messaging integrations) managing cloud migrations, managing big upgrade projects/big DR test scenarios, rescuing failed projects/bad cut-overs, along with just a fucking shitload of legacy voice hardware support.

Really my only complaints left about this place is that it's super poorly managed and, oh yeah, the fact that the NOC I work in smells like pee and there's literally mice crawling around under our cubes.

• 1Like

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider

Yeah, but I weasled my way into ~180k total compensation. Last month? I've been puttin in like, only 40 hours weekly too.

• 1Like

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Damn you guys are killing it with those salaries! I'd have to jump into a more stressful/technical environment to hit 80s but I really, really, really, like being comfy, learning, creative firm perks, not killing myself, etc.

Lotta freedom when you and the boss are administering a laid back place with global's mentorship.

• 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Jesus, is this thread going to turn into Mist's livejournal about her shitty life like every other thread she's in?

• 1Picard

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Skype and Avaya? So you're basically an overpaid call center manager? I kid, I kid.
Yes. We monitor+manage the infrastructure that runs 1000s of call centers and other corporate/government/911 phone systems.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Jesus, is this thread going to turn into Mist's livejournal about her shitty life like every other thread she's in?
I'm not really complaining, except about the pee smell + mice.

Going from untrained clueless call taker to Telecoms/Contact Center Engineer in the span of 2 years and tripling my income isn't really something to complain about.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users