IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Question for guys with website domain knowledge.

Brother in law owns his own company. Other brother in law registered the domain in his own name and it expirss in 15 days. The brother in law that registered it is banished from the family.

What do I do here.. let it expire and purchase it again?

Try and get the account info from him some how some way. I bet he registered it through some wack ass company like Go Daddy who will turn around and re-register it to themselves and charge you a premium to get it back.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I second zoho as a free email host.

to get an @mycompant.com style email address, that domain will need to be registered appropriately tho

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
I have a question for the professional IT folks.

I'm a biologist who does (relative to biologists) quite a bit of programming. Compared to real IT professionals I have no doubt that both my choice of languages (Perl, bash, R, PHP, HTML) and my proficiency in each is weaker. But in the biology world I am often called on to handle all the data analysis & coding tasks on a project. I'm currently assistant professor at a reasonably well respected research university. I'm starting to lose my taste for academia (this is comedic understatement -- nearing a nervous breakdown may be a more accurate description). My amateur friends who know nothing about IT or academia often say "with all my computer skills" I should consider a job in IT. I roll my eyes when I hear this but maybe I'm wrong.

My question for you all in IT -- is there any place in the professional IT world for a person like me -- no CS background, proficiency in an odd selection of languages, and a CV / resume that is not typical for IT?

If there is such a place, what kind of positions do you recommend? What kind of companies are realistic targets, and what kind of salaries are realistic expectations?

Thanks for any advice.

It's been said a few times here, but I will echo what others have mentioned. There are a lot of jobs at pharma companies, big and small, for scientists with data analysis chops. You can also look at suppliers like Thermo Fisher or Millipore that have a lot of contracted or internal research programs, or even at CROs that work purely on contracts. All of these entities are filled with senior management who have PhDs from many long ago and still run stats and make all their plots in Excel.

Is there a reason you're focused on IT instead of scientific data analysis focused positions?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Any of you guys been through a govt shutdown before? Not sure if I should be worried or if it's business as usual

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Any of you guys been through a govt shutdown before? Not sure if I should be worried or if it's business as usual

I went through it in 2013 and it was pretty simple.

Everyone shows up on Monday morning to work like normal. The papers are handed out for everyone to sign to understand their rights and what they can do about it. This is the GS folk that I am talking about.

For the contractors involved everything runs normally IF they are already part of an ongoing budget program that isn't during a renewal process. If you are in the middle of that process or on some kind of provisional you as a contractor just go home. I have no clue what happens to you then because all my contractors have always been good.

When all is said and done you submit your time cards and everyone gets paid the full amount. The 2013 one went over a pay period but I think that since you are always two weeks behind that it didn't even hiccup. Most .gov/.mil employees have credit unions that are floating a paycheck with their cash they have on hand though. I don't think that applies to ctr though.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
For the first time, I'm in a position where I don't know what will happen on Monday. I just started this new job. Normally, yeah you're on a contract that is already funded, so you just show up as normal. For whatever reason, because of the way they do funding for these positions, we're not sure. So as of right now, I don't go to work on Monday. Still doing part time at the other job, and it's apparently fine, so I think I can just do hours over there during the shutdown.

If you're not sure, you should get in touch with your PM asap.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
No communication yet so figure we'll find out Monday. I was on a contract but it can only support a very small amount of people and definitely not a required person. The other contract funding was approved Friday so I think that one is definitely affected.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Heard a rumor today that HB-1 visa are not being renewed....

Side note, contract ppl were told no show on monday if shutdown was still in effect....this is different than 2013 deal. No clue why, want to know but nothing on the vine so far.....

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
My contract is paid up until June so I'm good unless the shutdown lasts that long... but then we got bigger problems than my job :eek:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well, I worked a half day at one job then got booted out. Went to the other job where I'm doing 1099 and did some hours. Looks like we're in tomorrow again.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Ive been extremely succesful on Upwork recently. Just landing the fuck out of all contracts I apply for. Ive been bullying these people really hard.

I simply just start building what they need or ask for. A general framework as you will, then they will interview you and send a PDF after an NDA. Than you start building closer to what they want done from the PDF, and they basically feel forced to hire you for the job.

Ive landed quite a few back-to-back using this method.

Just do it before they tell you to.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Do you negotiate the hourly rate or project total? I am an android novice and doubt I have time for that but who knows heh.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Expecting a fat 3% raise this year. Also some sweetass profit sharing

Should've stayed at Akamai lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user