IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My experience has shown anywhere from 3-6 but I get 15-25% moving companies

Bonuses here are like 3.1%. At Emc it was some laughable number every quarter, few hundred bucks.

Akamai was the best, it was 10% bonus + profit sharing

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Boss has 8 spreadsheets he's gotta check to do a price update in our system (four types of spreadsheets each with a before price and an after price), ranging from 300k lines to about 1.3 million lines. He was complaining the other day about it taking hours to do a vlookup from one spreadsheet to the other, making it take pretty much an entire weekend to do a price update. So I was like well hey, let me take a look, and so I wrote him a script to grab, parse, associate, and write all the information in about 30 minutes for the 1.3 million line one, and like 5 minutes for the rest.

He was so happy, but it was so easy.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I sometimes wish spreadsheets didn't exist. It's like the half measure of automation.

Don't get me wrong, it's a useful tool when used right, but it's so easy to use in a wrong fashion and then fall into those habits.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dude, this is all they're allowing me to work with. I'm on the same exact page, though. We get our drawings to the shop by printing or drawing them on a sheet of paper and walking them over.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Do you negotiate the hourly rate or project total? I am an android novice and doubt I have time for that but who knows heh.

The website does that for you, I set my rate at 40/hr. Generally stay within their budget of what they are wanting to spend.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You have to work for peanuts on those sites if you want to get any contracts at all. The people who hire out work through those internet consulting sites either don't know anything about software development and what it entails or don't give a shit about the quality of the final product as long as it "works". It's cut rate software. You're not going to get any work through them if you try to consult through it at a reasonable rate (for the US)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of pay, I've already made 20k this year. I used to make this much money in a year working for the university.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Too bad your job makes you miserable. Go do something you like.
But I'm miserable all the time anyway!

Working in IT again has made me really hate computers though, and computers were my only hobby. If anything gets me to quit it'll be that (or the mouse pee smell.)

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
My contract is up for recompete this year and I honestly hope another company gets it. Most people take pay cuts when this happens but Im pretty sure I can get a raise. Plus the company that I'm thinking is likely to win has much better benefits. If I don't get a raise then it's time to jump ship (and get a raise).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've been at GM for five years now. It is time to switch jobs. just not sure which job to go after.

Although it is hard to quit because GM gives you more holidays than the government does.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Our holiday package is a bit better than other companies ive worked at just due to the Christmas week shutdown we get. This isn't counting traditional PTO though. I get 3 weeks, but I've worked at unlimited too.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So I now have to rethink my move because the holiday package is hard to find. I just got a 20% raise and 150% of the bonus payout after my yearly performance review. But in the same position as I was. Not that that means a lot as I've become a jack of all trades of sorts.

They HAVE noticed my due diligence!

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Anyone have experience with using recruiters as a job seeker? What is industry standard, or your experience as far as the payment they take? I always assumed the employer paid the finders fee or paid them direct but I am hearing people that have been charged directly by the recruiter via a fee or salary %.