IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So I now have to rethink my move because the holiday package is hard to find. I just got a 20% raise and 150% of the bonus payout after my yearly performance review. But in the same position as I was. Not that that means a lot as I've become a jack of all trades of sorts.

They HAVE noticed my due diligence!
At 20% I'd stick around .you might get that job hopping but that's on the high side. Unless you hate your job

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Anyone have experience with using recruiters as a job seeker? What is industry standard, or your experience as far as the payment they take? I always assumed the employer paid the finders fee or paid them direct but I am hearing people that have been charged directly by the recruiter via a fee or salary %.

I guess that probably depends on the industry. There are recruiting firms (and also bullshit websites like https://www.theladders.com/.) that will charge you rather than the company but I'd never use one. You basically can't get a decent job without a recruiter in tech these days. Most companies have contracts with recruiting firms that require them to field at least X amount of resumes from those recruiters and give those candidates priority in the interview scheduling process. Which means you probably aren't getting an interview unless you're going through a recruiter. But those recruiters almost always get paid by the company not the candidate.

It's just another fairly useless "service" industry that has somehow made itself necessary. Like Realtors and Car Salesman. Why the fuck do I need you? All you do is annoy me with your constant phone calls to check up on how things are going and to see what my "career goals are" only to spam me with "opportunities" that have nothing to do with my field of expertise. Yet I can't get an interview without you.

Last edited:

ex-genj

Golden Squire
I dunk all over 3rd party recruiters i.e. "I might be interested that role, for top talent, what's the salary range for this position? I'll need a number in from you in next contact in order for me to move forward" type stuff. Even if you're not interested its a) fun to put the screws to them and b) salary/market conditions are useful data points always.

When I'm really lazy I just respond "$?".. which actually works too.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
So I now have to rethink my move because the holiday package is hard to find. I just got a 20% raise and 150% of the bonus payout after my yearly performance review. But in the same position as I was. Not that that means a lot as I've become a jack of all trades of sorts.

They HAVE noticed my due diligence!
Why do you want to leave?

If anything negotiate work from home and other perks, but it seems like a good gig.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Why do you want to leave?

If anything negotiate work from home and other perks, but it seems like a good gig.

Boredom and stagnation. I have an extreme dislike of solving technical problems that take 3 weeks to solve only because that's how long it takes for you to hunt down the (usually a retard) who has access to whatever you need. Then I have to explain to them what they need to do for me and watch them do it on skype or something to make sure it was accomplished.

Getting access to fucking anything around here is almost an impossibility. Work from home will never happen. Hardcore Work from Work policy is enforced at present.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Boredom and stagnation. I have an extreme dislike of solving technical problems that take 3 weeks to solve only because that's how long it takes for you to hunt down the (usually a retard) who has access to whatever you need. Then I have to explain to them what they need to do for me and watch them do it on skype or something to make sure it was accomplished.

Getting access to fucking anything around here is almost an impossibility. Work from home will never happen. Hardcore Work from Work policy is enforced at present.
Slightly sarcastic, but 20% raise and 150% bonus doesn't sound like stagnation. I'll take boredom if I could get that every (few?) years.

Vinen

God is dead
Slightly sarcastic, but 20% raise and 150% bonus doesn't sound like stagnation. I'll take boredom if I could get that every (few?) years.

He said 1.5x his target bonus. Not 150% salary.

Also you can stagnate in a job. So what if you make extra money if your career is in the shitter down the road as you've learned nothing new.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Stagnation here means that, because of my role (in name only) the vast amount of my duties at this job are innovating and creating more efficient processes in various ways. Which is cool. I get to do a wide variety of stuff and learn a lot of things. But because of numerous yearly goals the CIO of my department is obsessed with I am continuously left with no resources to accomplish this kind of shit.

I have 4 applications now that are being used by multiple departments that are half or less of what they could be because I can't get anything to work with in terms of infrastructure for them. I have two of them running off of jerry rigged desktops I found in the backroom basically. One got moved to some servers that I was able to pump out two major releases for almost entirely alone. But only after some executives from other departments I am not even in expressed interest and support. This was 99% of the reason why I did well on the performance review in 2017.

Just as an example of the day to day for me.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
He said 1.5x his target bonus. Not 150% salary.

Also you can stagnate in a job. So what if you make extra money if your career is in the shitter down the road as you've learned nothing new.
I know, I didn't feel like typing it that specifically.

That is an interesting topic though. At what rate do people expect to learn on the job? New technologies, expertise, tools, anything really? I've often had that internal conversation about not learning new stuff either and I often blame being stuck in QA. But I talk to my dev friends, pay attention to what the devs at my own company do day to day, and it seems like learning new stuff is actually kinda rare. Almost like the only way to do it is to change jobs, which is unfortunate.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I know, I didn't feel like typing it that specifically.

That is an interesting topic though. At what rate do people expect to learn on the job? New technologies, expertise, tools, anything really? I've often had that internal conversation about not learning new stuff either and I often blame being stuck in QA. But I talk to my dev friends, pay attention to what the devs at my own company do day to day, and it seems like learning new stuff is actually kinda rare. Almost like the only way to do it is to change jobs, which is unfortunate.

Developers can get siloed hard. In terms of say you get a few years experience working on the front end (gag). You end up qualifying for better front end jobs sure. But you wont have as easy of a time getting say, a DBA job or some other path.

Not uncommon for devs to get trapped in a very narrow field of development for a long time. Which is overall very detrimental and you need to avoid that.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Stagnation here means that, because of my role (in name only) the vast amount of my duties at this job are innovating and creating more efficient processes in various ways. Which is cool. I get to do a wide variety of stuff and learn a lot of things. But because of numerous yearly goals the CIO of my department is obsessed with I am continuously left with no resources to accomplish this kind of shit.

I have 4 applications now that are being used by multiple departments that are half or less of what they could be because I can't get anything to work with in terms of infrastructure for them. I have two of them running off of jerry rigged desktops I found in the backroom basically. One got moved to some servers that I was able to pump out two major releases for almost entirely alone. But only after some executives from other departments I am not even in expressed interest and support. This was 99% of the reason why I did well on the performance review in 2017.

Just as an example of the day to day for me.

From what you typed? It doesn't sound like stagnation. But Frustration.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
With that in mind. Frustration can be a powerful motivator. It sounds like you are touching a lot of areas of development and making a measurably positive impact on productivity for the company though. It also seems that the company sees and is more than willing to reward that.

If you are seriously considering leaving though? See what the market looks like. See if there's anything out there that can offer you what you are looking for.

My only advice is to not start the search with the idea you have to leave or the sky will fall. The company sounds like they are trying to make you feel valued. There is something to be said in that. I'm not trying to sway you to stay. Just looking in objectively it sounds like staying isnt going to be of detriment if no other company pans out.

Have you tried having a frank talk with your CIO and laying out the reality of your project load and such?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So. Some girl in our department came to me the other day and asked me to show her how to do some SQL related shit for... some project. She is not a technical person although she has a technical role.

Today I helped her for like 20 minutes and she told me to my face that she, "didn't like being mansplained to about this" I have honestly never heard this said in person before. Ever.

I looked at her then told her to figure it out herself then and that stackoverflow.com is a good resource. Then walked off. Dumb bitch.

What the fuck? lol. That is the absolute last time I help a woman in the office. Not even kidding.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users