IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think working from home is perfect for shit like not wanting to shovel a driveway or deal with driving in snow or whatever. You can't really treat a modern workplace like some sort of assembly line where if Joe doesn't show up to label the jars or whatever then it messes everyone up. If some developer doesn't come in to the office to write code, who gives a shit. If he commits he commits.

Me personally, I'm both more and less efficient from home. When I actually have real and interesting work to do, I'll do work on it from the minute I get up until I can't keep my eyes open any more from home. Of course on the flip side, if it's during a lull that all of us IT people have, I fuck off with ferocity when I'm at home. Some of the best MMO gaming of my life got done on telecommute days.

It is a mixed bag though. I think your company has to wholeheartedly embrace it and not give a fuck about it for it to work. Trying to work somewhere where people are skeptical about it just makes it not worth it. People also have to be good at it too. I've worked with too many people who can't figure out how to dial in to a conference bridge, join a webex or respond to IMs. They're the ones who really screw the whole thing up for everyone else.
Driving in bad weather is a good reason to work from home, particularly because it's out of your control. Shoveling is insulting because you're going to have to do it eventually. We have the typical flexibilities regarding work hours and such. He could have shoveled his driveway, showed up at 10, worked until 5, and there would have been no problem. The point is that if you're able to be in the office to facilitate better collaboration, then you should. We have absolutely no problem with people working from home outside of regular work hours to make up sick time or whatever.

This same employee uses up all his sick time halfway through the year, complains about having to use vacation time for sick time, and then acts like we're treating him unfairly. Bitch, I didn't make you live 45 minutes away with a 300ft(his words) driveway and not buy a snowblower.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I just had my CEO walk in and shake my hand. For the first time in the companies history, despite record high revenue from software sales and maintenance, our professional services account for a higher percentage of revenue (a total of 54%) than what was a long time bread and butter of software monies.

83% of professional services income flows through my department to get it done. That equals my team being responsible for about 45% of the companies revenue.

Fukyah, treating the team to some motherfucking steak tonight.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Twenty minutes after I got home from the first interview I had an email about a resume I sent off arrive. Even though I do not have the C#/.net they are looking for went I sent the resume in, the team liked my info and that turned in to just getting off the phone with HR and heading for the second interview with the team next week hopefully. It has been good for the confidence for sure. Starts around the same salary, $60k but also has full insurance/401k+4% match and lots of other bennies. Hopefully this momentum keeps going, savings are almost gone after a year of learning and education for swapping to tech industry.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Driving in bad weather is a good reason to work from home, particularly because it's out of your control. Shoveling is insulting because you're going to have to do it eventually. We have the typical flexibilities regarding work hours and such. He could have shoveled his driveway, showed up at 10, worked until 5, and there would have been no problem. The point is that if you're able to be in the office to facilitate better collaboration, then you should. We have absolutely no problem with people working from home outside of regular work hours to make up sick time or whatever.

This same employee uses up all his sick time halfway through the year, complains about having to use vacation time for sick time, and then acts like we're treating him unfairly. Bitch, I didn't make you live 45 minutes away with a 300ft(his words) driveway and not buy a snowblower.

Well a bad employee is a bad employee whether they work from home or not. But like I said, I really think you (as an organization) have to be all in on working from home and not giving a fuck if you're going to do it. Judging people on their work from home reasons is just uncomfortable for everyone involved.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Last place I worked from home a lot, and I've never been more productive .I can't work from home here and it's so old fashioned

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I just looked at the receipt from the celebration dinner for the first time while sober.

Just shy of $800, was 13 people.

My VP is going to lol at me when she sees this expense report.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That doesn't seem like much of a celebration dinner? 60 bucks a head, that's like a sandwich for everyone and the rest in alcohol.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
30 dollars a steak or 30 dollars for appetizers and main course? Because the former is ok, the latter is gross.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
$30 dollar steak.

I offered appetizers, they were turned down. As were desserts. People wanted meat, taters, and alcomahol.

It was a Friday night, and the company catered lunch since we had everyone in house for an all hands meeting, in addition to our company wide Friday Breakfasts.

I guess we just fed them too much that day.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
So, my VP did yell at me, because I did it on a day she had to leave town early.

..Sometimes, I sit in my office, look around, and go "WTF?"

I work with children as executives around me.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
2nd interview (in person) tomorrow. It's been 25 years since I had to do this haha. Pretty nervous, Junior Engineer role. This is C#/.net, and my resume was all about Java/JS/React, hopefully they will not be too rough for the interview.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
2nd interview (in person) tomorrow. It's been 25 years since I had to do this haha. Pretty nervous, Junior Engineer role. This is C#/.net, and my resume was all about Java/JS/React, hopefully they will not be too rough for the interview.
Be honest about how you don't know stuff, and show them you've picked up the JS/React/etc stuff quickly. They're not hiring a junior dev with C#/.net experience, they're hiring a jr. dev to learn C#/.net in their environment. The faster you come up to speed, the faster they aren't training you, the faster you're able to prove your value to them as an employee (and potentially the faster you can get promoted to Dev).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well, don't ask yet ye shall receive. I got a call out of the blue from a company that would not only be a move into a role I would like to do but also the company is very well known. It will be a huge boon and advancement to my career to work for them for any period of time.

Although I kind of wanted to move out of Big Corporate this is an opportunity I can't really pass up. Far from a sure thing yet but I did the second (skype) interview this week and have the actual in person interview later in April while they set some things up. Time to study up fam!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users