IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I would suggest against javascript if at all possible. It's a necessary evil but you have options here. Python is pretty easy to learn.
What's the issue with it? The difficult thing was working out the procedure/loop structures and HTML layout so it may not be too hard to switch over if there's a reason.

wait a minute is this JavaScript or Java?? There be a huuuuge difference.
I'm using Javascript. It's not the same thing?

I hope my cluelessness in some aspects of this are shining through haha

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
What's the issue with it? The difficult thing was working out the procedure/loop structures and HTML layout so it may not be too hard to switch over if there's a reason.

not the same thing.

Different programming languages that share a similar name. But it really doesn't matter.

Create your Azure free account today | Microsoft Azure

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
If you're interested research the differences between java and javascript.

The screenshot you posted was running over port 8383 which is netbeans built in server and that added to the confusion as well hehe.

The fact that you are using javascript makes it easier for sure. You can run this on any old shared hosting account and won't need any special considerations.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

It's a messy language with some counter-intuitive "features" like the triple equals. On top of that, with maybe the exception of Flash, it's the #1 source of Internet security vulnerabilities. Flash has been thankfully deprecated, Javascript doesn't seem to be going anywhere unfortunately. There's a reason I run with a script blocker and only whitelist websites I trust.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
If you're interested research the differences between java and javascript.

The screenshot you posted was running over port 8383 which is netbeans built in server and that added to the confusion as well hehe.

The fact that you are using javascript makes it easier for sure. You can run this on any old shared hosting account and won't need any special considerations.
Ah good. Yeah it's easier to run the website through Netbeans but I can open it directly from the c drive or memory stick and it's all functional.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Javascript is great. Especially react. Oh no null => 0 is true who the fuck cares.

• 1Solidarity

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
In the last few years working for a dev house, I have gone from not understanding a fucking word of this greek ass dev talk, to understanding most of it.

I hate myself.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
One of my best friends has had a coding related job for 5+ years. He's highly regarded in our circles for his intelligence. He came from an econ background and was one of those ones you knew would make top 5 in any tourney.
He does very well. I thought it was due to these qualities - and maybe it is - but recently he told me it didn't come easy. He said in the beginning he thought about quitting many times over, that it was too big for him, and that he wasn't good enough. For whatever reasons, he stayed, and he said it took him 2 years of scrambling to get to decent beginner-like level.
I found this inspiring and thus I shared - however, for me, I won't foot the bill to learn coding, it must be paid for or directly linked to a guaranteed job with security.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There are so many free or inexpensive tools to use to teach yourself coding these days that it's probably the cheapest possible career switch that exists. There are no guarantees when it comes to finding a good, secure job (as is the case in most careers) but you can teach yourself for pennies on the dollar in your spare time.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
One of my best friends has had a coding related job for 5+ years. He's highly regarded in our circles for his intelligence. He came from an econ background and was one of those ones you knew would make top 5 in any tourney.
He does very well. I thought it was due to these qualities - and maybe it is - but recently he told me it didn't come easy. He said in the beginning he thought about quitting many times over, that it was too big for him, and that he wasn't good enough. For whatever reasons, he stayed, and he said it took him 2 years of scrambling to get to decent beginner-like level.
I found this inspiring and thus I shared - however, for me, I won't foot the bill to learn coding, it must be paid for or directly linked to a guaranteed job with security.

I do a lot of coding at work and I learned ten times what I paid for in university for free on Stackoverflow.com. I like HackerRank.com a lot to learn and challenge myself a bit. Not nerdy enough for Project Euler. In my hands on preferred way of learning the best way to learn something is to say hey, "I want to make some code that does X." Then google around and think about how you would accomplish that.

May not be the most efficient way to learn sometimes but it's served me well when I get shit at work like, "hey we're switching to this new tool set because the Director whose never used it thinks its cool. Oh and the deadline is the same." Which happens way more often than I'd fucking like. As these people didn't vet it beyond hearing that it was cool from some other clown. Technically I am doing architect work right now but I spend a lot of time vetting tools that are just thrown at my from up on high.

In the job I am interviewing for it seems to be going back to my second job. Figuring out ways to add value to a given project and making them more efficient. Which I really liked doing.

• 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Finishing up a two week CCNA "bootcamp" this Friday and talk about boring. I want to blow my brains out every day.

• 1Worf

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
The real trick to learning programming is to have a project that you want to build and that solves a problem for you. The first application I ever developed was a windows application that allowed people to move files on their local drive to a file share that was backed up to tape. All of the meta data was stored in a database so that they could then restore their files from the same client on their own. I honestly think my former employer might still use it. It was pretty awful at first, I didn't know much about functions right off the bat so I recreated tons of variables and actions in every button click event. After the first year of working on this thing though, I got it extremely polished and learned a lot about OOP along with various protocols and windows APIs.

Before that though I had taken programming courses in college and tried to learn online but just couldn't bring myself to give a shit about making calculators and doing algorithms and stuff. A lot of people I have talked to have said the same thing. They want to program, they just don't have a good project to throw themselves at.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>

You could switch to Typescript and that is real close to Java (as far as syntax and object oriented-ness goes).

ShakyJake

<Donor>

I'm a self-taught coder that managed to get brought into our engineering department where I work. The best way I found to learn is to find something to create that inspires you. For me, I was working in operations at the time and we had really antiquated tools for logging customer calls and other data. So I wrote a Windows WPF desktop app that aided in that stuff. Right there I was immersed in the .NET framework and C#. Ironically, our company's commercial app used Silverlight so I lucked out that WPF was basically the same tech.

Anyway, it's really difficult to learn when you have nothing to apply it to. Just reading a book or watching a tutorial isn't going to do much. At least, it didn't for me.

• 1Solidarity

Lenas

Trump's Staff
JavaScript is great and its popularity is undeniable. It's only going to get bigger.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I see it more as a necessary evil because it allows you to do some client-side stuff that would otherwise be much harder or impossible. For what Chris Chris wants to do, Javascript is not necessary, so I thought another language would give a more well-rounded experience.

The popularity is undeniable, I don't think that means it's good though. Part of my dislike stems from the difficulty of testing your code. We have a utility for spidering the browser-utilizing portion of our product. It can test everything except our JavaScript because of the amount of complexity involved with executing JavaScript correctly in a utility that otherwise just uses python's http library to fetch and verify pages.