IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Rezz Rezz sort of work with it but not on a regular basis.

My major issue was time management and parsing the Cisco answer yeah. That shit reads like greek until you read it 4 times and finally parse the very easy answer.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
During code review.
Your sentiment is good (wanting to keep things simple & clear) but sounds like there might be a decent reason to not bother with pretty code here. You can probably trust your review team more than Microsoft here.

But I'm essentially following the guidelines offered by Microsoft. This is (was) the typical pattern used:
Be wary of using vendor documentation as an example of how to code well (ie how or whether to optimize or not). In software this is very context sensitive relative to application and domain. Always keep in mind the vendor is biased to make money and sell & market their tools as being the *best* for *all* applications, which is never true.

The main purpose of guidelines/docs is to provide clear examples of API use for devs to learn how things work. In general practice this means the tool vendor (esp Microsoft with database stuff) provided examples will often be shitty or extremely contrived simpleton scenarios that do NOT translate well in the wild.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am playing around with an open source project and trying to fix some things in it. It is in python.

The first thing that I want to do is change the way it does web auth. It utilizes CherryPy to run the web framework.

Anyone do python?

hubbcaps/gazee this is the app and I want to change the auth from utilizing cherrypy to instead use a web form that I will have to build.

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm
Rezz Rezz sort of work with it but not on a regular basis.

My major issue was time management and parsing the Cisco answer yeah. That shit reads like greek until you read it 4 times and finally parse the very easy answer.

The key to any Cisco test is to realize they are looking for the best right answer.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
I recently tried to use a .env file to hide some things in it but was haing issues importing from that file in JS (using react). SInce Javascript wants to import only from stuff from .js type files and not weird things like .env, have you come up with a quick fix in naming?

My solution was to just call the file env.js and that way my imports will pull from it no problem

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Bad two week class!

If I remember right, you aren't new to this stuff (I think we're talking R&S, yeah?) so it's probably just nonsense questions where there's a right answer and there's a Cisco answer. When I took my R&S last year, that's what I missed, I'm fairly sure. Some specifics about what is the "best" of a given set of answers. Really glad I pounded EIGRP/OSPFv3 and extended ACLs into the ground the weekend before taking it, though. Literally had the configuration simulation be ACLs and both of the "here's four questions about some show commands. GO!" deals were routing protocol related. I pulled a 930 on the composite my first try, but I also spent two weeks before running through every packet tracer in the curriculum, and did the full command/non-tab typing method since I assumed Cisco wouldn't let you get away with shorthand or auto-completes.

Every IT related test I've taken (CCNA, AWS Solutions Arch, A+/Net+/Sec+) I've had the guy at the testing site tell me that it's a 90% failure rate for first time test takers. Not sure if that is factual but if you aren't preparing for the "types" of questions asked, I can see that being a stumbling block. I hit up 9tut before it got nuked for some borderline dump experience, and just seeing the types of questions asked helped me mentally prepare for it.
What happened to tut? Just checked and it was still there.

I've always found the 1-2 week boot camp classes to be garbage. Except for ITIL foundations and maybe Junos.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
I recently tried to use a .env file to hide some things in it but was haing issues importing from that file in JS (using react). SInce Javascript wants to import only from stuff from .js type files and not weird things like .env, have you come up with a quick fix in naming?

My solution was to just call the file env.js and that way my imports will pull from it no problem

dotenv is amazing but um you can't use environment variables like that on the front end. if your react is server side thing I linked will work great. If not you'll have to reach for ye olde constants.js for front end.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
OK new dumbass question. Thanks for the web development help earlier in the week by the way, website is coming along quite nicley.

I'm thinking about buying a domian name but only .info is affordable. I've seen conflicting statements on if .info is a bad choice for search rankings, some say it doesnt matter and some say that .info is assosicated with low quality spam websites and has a search ranking penalty. It's only something like $4 for the .info so no big deal, but I'd rather get this right before I go live so I don't need to change the brand name later on.

The .com is availiable but is a few thousand dollars so I'd have to buy that in the future if the website does really well, which realistically isn't likely for a long time.

I've found it hard to think of a good brand name which has an availiable and affordable .com assosicated with it.

If you want to make this a business, just pick a different name that has a .com available. .info may not hurt your seo directly, but it's likely to indirectly. It's a shitty brand signal.
What % of the TLD's that you click from search are .infos?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
What happened to tut? Just checked and it was still there.

I've always found the 1-2 week boot camp classes to be garbage. Except for ITIL foundations and maybe Junos.

They went through and removed all the question wording, due to Cisco finally deciding enough was enough with them. You have the answers, but not what they were asking in the first place for almost all of the material, making it a slog. It's still around, just nowhere near as useful as it once was.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
dotenv is amazing but um you can't use environment variables like that on the front end. if your react is server side thing I linked will work great. If not you'll have to reach for ye olde constants.js for front end.

Yeah ended up going dotenv. The stuff was server side just explained it shitty as my 3 yo was clawing at me.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
They went through and removed all the question wording, due to Cisco finally deciding enough was enough with them. You have the answers, but not what they were asking in the first place for almost all of the material, making it a slog. It's still around, just nowhere near as useful as it once was.

Interesting. Good thing TShoot for CCNP is a super easy way to keep everything current!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Interesting. Good thing TShoot for CCNP is a super easy way to keep everything current!

I know the Gov type jobs value all those Cisco certs. But outside of that I just fine them a bit weird. I don't know anybody at my company who ever had one. Even the networking guys and most of the devs like me are just froced to do networking shit ourselves and figure it out when presented with such issues.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
I know the Gov type jobs value all those Cisco certs. But outside of that I just fine them a bit weird. I don't know anybody at my company who ever had one. Even the networking guys and most of the devs like me are just froced to do networking shit ourselves and figure it out when presented with such issues.

Yeah, at least the DoD cares about them for sure. I have seen job postings for public sector jobs that require them though, public utility and what not. Plus Cisco...Cisco certainly cares about them. You won't find many company employees that don't have a CCIE, even sales people are encouraged to get them.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I am playing around with an open source project and trying to fix some things in it. It is in python.

The first thing that I want to do is change the way it does web auth. It utilizes CherryPy to run the web framework.

Anyone do python?

hubbcaps/gazee this is the app and I want to change the auth from utilizing cherrypy to instead use a web form that I will have to build.
I know python decently well, but can you be more specific with your question? I've never worked with CherryPy.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So right now it uses auth_digest over to cherrypy for user login and I want to switch to a form login inside the browser instead.
I'm probably a little off here, but are you going to be hosting this on a platform you can control? Maybe you can use PAM or LDAP auth modules instead?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'm probably a little off here, but are you going to be hosting this on a platform you can control? Maybe you can use PAM or LDAP auth modules instead?
Yeah, I have nginx in front of it providing all of that security. Work blocks auth_digest type popups though. I don't know how they do it but they do.

I figured it would be an interesting place to learn how to extract something like that out and switch to a forms based login.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Shaky my initial impression of your code is that it's useless, I have a theory, can you do me a favor and a bunch of calls and then open sql profiler and check if you're being split into individual calls at the database level or if they are somehow joined into a single statement. If the case is that is separated into single calls then you really haven't gained anything.

If you instead have joined them into a single statment, be very careful about overflowing your connection limits.

The bottleneck in EF is not database access, but rather EF context and change tracking, plus the horrible way EF joins tables as extents.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Shaky my initial impression of your code is that it's useless, I have a theory, can you do me a favor and a bunch of calls and then open sql profiler and check if you're being split into individual calls at the database level or if they are somehow joined into a single statement. If the case is that is separated into single calls then you really haven't gained anything.

If you instead have joined them into a single statment, be very careful about overflowing your connection limits.

The bottleneck in EF is not database access, but rather EF context and change tracking, plus the horrible way EF joins tables as extents.

Also is there logic at the db? Why would the validate hit the database?

Which library are you using?

If you need to check for settings why don't you cache them into a global static object, and update that object when you modify the settings model.
You can also build a separate cache service that handles the management of settings.

Last edited: