IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I've checked out both, I don't see anything in .NET I would really miss by going to core aside from distinctly windows things. HTMLAgilityPack works just fine on core for me. I'd also not scrape in C# unless I absolutely had to, but that's another discussion.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
New role is swit - software integration and test. Never done this stuff before so it'll either be interesting or make me want to kill myself

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Could be like an R&D type position. At my work, the R&D department is like my dream job.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Our stuff sort of traffic slates all the different systems and routes them around. The testing is exercising all of the interfaces.

I was worried we were QA

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
At our shop software testers use some telerik tool to make scripts that jam a bunch of data, click all the buttons, etc. They don't really have to write too much code, but they get a ton of freedom so the good ones usually write tools that help to test better and take on coding projects on the side. They are pretty good about giving opportunities to advance up to actual developer positions if people do well as testers.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
At our shop software testers use some telerik tool to make scripts that jam a bunch of data, click all the buttons, etc. They don't really have to write too much code, but they get a ton of freedom so the good ones usually write tools that help to test better and take on coding projects on the side. They are pretty good about giving opportunities to advance up to actual developer positions if people do well as testers.
So, people that "develop" automated blackboxing? I'm not sure I'd like that either.

I'm the QA manager at a small shop and we do QA a bit differently. We still do some test result reviewing that I would like to push back on developers, luckily it's not much of my day anymore. But sometimes I can't tell if I dislike my job because it's QA or I'm just projecting and it's actually because we're so damn overworked due to the inability to hire anyone for this department. Only the stupidest Asians want to work in QA.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
So, people that "develop" automated blackboxing? I'm not sure I'd like that either.

I'm the QA manager at a small shop and we do QA a bit differently. We still do some test result reviewing that I would like to push back on developers, luckily it's not much of my day anymore. But sometimes I can't tell if I dislike my job because it's QA or I'm just projecting and it's actually because we're so damn overworked due to the inability to hire anyone for this department. Only the stupidest Asians want to work in QA.

Everywhere seems to do it a bit differently. People actually go after the tester jobs here because it's a good way to break into development. Our apps are nothing fancy though, they are mostly C# crud type web apps as well as modules for like SharePoint and CRM. I personally find that type of development incredibly boring but it pays well and it's steady. They have one old dude that does some of the lower level stuff and I wouldn't mind having his job, but I think once he leaves the person that takes his position won't have enough with just his workload and have to take on some business app work.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Nah, we don't have that kind of mobility here. I'm not sure it would do much in the end. The further up the career tree you progress, the less programming you do. QA, development, doesn't really seem to matter.

Or, I could just be telling myself that so I don't have to do the hard work of looking for a new job.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I make my own tree. Don't really want to spend 40+ hours a week hating what I do. If I wanted to program I'd find a job that lets me program.

If Gabriel wants to rollerblade, Gabriel rollerblades.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I had a real issue with vs code several years ago. Our project had like 10000 files in the git repo, and VS would hang for minutes at a time trying to reconcile with it. I'm sure they fixed it but I never went back.

I actually emailed the devs about it and they agreed with me and said they'd work on it. This was right when it got released.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've been steadily porting all my old SharpDX stuff over. I've had a few moments of hunting through tabs looking for a file I knew I had just opened a minute ago and it's not there.

Turns out that when you open something in the usual way, from the list on the left (or whereever you put it) that it opens it in a "preview" mode. And if you switch off to something else it very helpfully closes it. Yet another in the long list of "Why would anyone ever want this ever" features ms seems to keep coming up with.

I finally figured it out when I wanted to change all my libs projects to optionally aim at SharpDX libs I had built myself (just hackily doing it by commenting out the packagerefs), so I had opened like 10ish csprojs so I could go through them one by one. Only to find it had closed all but the last I had opened.

This disables it: How to config vscode to open files always in a new tab?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
git:svn::c++:c

Our company just recently switched from svn to git and it's been a nightmare. I like some of the features in git, but just like c++, it seems to give you just enough rope to hang yourself with.

Let's say you have 10 commits ready to push, 10 being the oldest. Part of 9 was bad and I fixed it with 1. But, commit 9 still exists in the push, so it's still being rejected by our commit hook(automatic, no override). My solution? Squash commits 9 through 1. Seems that was the wrong idea as there were two merges in that range.

Is there a way to unfuck this? And if so, what should I do afterward to get our commit hook to stop complaining about 9?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Do you mean you have like a CI platform that is running tests or something and it doesn't like build 9? Is it Gitlab or something similar?