IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I don't even want to put my Exchange servers in the cloud (O365) no matter how much Microsoft is pushing it, and even if e-mail is designed to be latency insensitive, because again you lose so much control, and the integration with other 3rd party systems like mail gateways, Fax servers, workflow products, network scanners, and archiving solutions are now more difficult to implement and troubleshoot. Any changes to exchange that can't be done through powershell are basically off limits, so if you want to tweak something related to say activesync or OWA that requires access to IIS or a config.xml file, your SOL.

O365 is great for small business that don't have many integration needs or a large infrastructure, otherwise it's just more money grabbing by Microsoft.

I cant speak for every company out there, but our implementation of 0365 has been horrible for all the things you listed. From an administrative level the cons far out weigh the pros.

Vinen

God is dead
I cant speak for every company out there, but our implementation of 0365 has been horrible for all the things you listed. From an administrative level the cons far out weigh the pros.

I've not seen -severe- issues with O365. Sounds like your company may be attempting to jury-rig aged practices into it. Probably should fix your processes first. //The last piece of advice is what I give to most customers trying to jam legacy process into modern technologies. Its a severe issue in IT orgs.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You know man everything in your post is a comment so you might as well encase the whole thing in /* and */ to be efficient

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I don't care either way. I'm just a realist and on prem Exchange, SharePoint, Skype and office type stuff are the services I see moving out and staying out. Ive worked for 10k+ employee government agencies who run entirely on O365 so it seems to scale just fine.

Everything else is still workload dependent. Personally, I think hybrid clouds are the best way to go right now. Especially if you architect your services in a way that allows them to run on both your onprem and offprem assets.

Pivoting the conversation slightly, who's rocking HCI? I've been testing several options over the last year and I dig Nutanix and hate VxRail.

I think at this point I vastly prefer just running VMware with vsan and nsx and writing my own scripts. VxRail is basically just a wrapper over this stuff anyway. I blame my boss for that mistake because emc clearly intended them to be maintained by emc engineers and of course classified/ disconnected systems don't lend themselves well to that support model.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I think at this point I vastly prefer just running VMware with vsan
We just implemented a VDI/VMI/NFV setup here at my place and I am learning to love 6.7 compared to my previous time with VMware. I must say that proper VMotion and VSAN is why I don’t want to blow it up.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah 6.7 is good shit. There were some dark times with 6.0 and that flash interface, but they really have an awesome interface now.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Any JavaScript/css geniuses up in here? Trying to get a horizontal slider to work for mousewheel and track pad (osx) however osx chrome and safari are homo and bounce the trackpad scroll back and forth. Tried a straight css implementation with no luck as it needs to be responsive (i.e. flexboxin). Fu w3c, my browsers should be able to tell the difference between a mousewheel and trackpad via events.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Pivoting the conversation slightly, who's rocking HCI? I've been testing several options over the last year and I dig Nutanix and hate VxRail.

I think at this point I vastly prefer just running VMware with vsan and nsx and writing my own scripts. VxRail is basically just a wrapper over this stuff anyway. I blame my boss for that mistake because emc clearly intended them to be maintained by emc engineers and of course classified/ disconnected systems don't lend themselves well to that support model.

Heh, I work for Dell Managed Services. All our customers use HCI.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Any JavaScript/css geniuses up in here? Trying to get a horizontal slider to work for mousewheel and track pad (osx) however osx chrome and safari are homo and bounce the trackpad scroll back and forth. Tried a straight css implementation with no luck as it needs to be responsive (i.e. flexboxin). Fu w3c, my browsers should be able to tell the difference between a mousewheel and trackpad via events.
I typically use UI toolkits/frameworks that have already worked out the buggy, cross-platform bullshit. Anyway, what's your code look like?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I typically use UI toolkits/frameworks that have already worked out the buggy, cross-platform bullshit. Anyway, what's your code look like?
After doing more research I'm not convinced what I want is possible without it being a hack job that would potentially not always work. I'll link the code sometime today. Thanks for offering to give feedback.

What toolkits/frameworks do you normally use?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
After doing more research I'm not convinced what I want is possible without it being a hack job that would potentially not always work. I'll link the code sometime today. Thanks for offering to give feedback.

What toolkits/frameworks do you normally use?
UIkit is a great, full-featured CSS framework. JQWidgets, free for personal use, is an excellent widget library that's based on Jquery. However, none of these detect the mousewheel for the slider natively so you'd have to hack in your own logic (which shouldn't be too difficult, but still may result in OSX wokiness).

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
UIkit is a great, full-featured CSS framework. JQWidgets, free for personal use, is an excellent widget library that's based on Jquery. However, none of these detect the mousewheel for the slider natively so you'd have to hack in your own logic (which shouldn't be too difficult, but still may result in OSX wokiness).
Thanks man! I'll check those out in a little bit. Appreciate the help.

Side note for anyone working in web industry. Have you noticed a disconnect between web designers and front end developers? I have a friend who's a super talented designer. He's given me reference to all these cool sites and they are cool but they aren't very functional from a UX perspective imo and they're almost all JS and get fucked on mobile. I asked him if he thinks in a mobile first design methodology and he doesn't.

It seems like the best designers would be the ones who were extremely talented designers AND knew the limitations of code which they could account for in the design process.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Thanks man! I'll check those out in a little bit. Appreciate the help.

Side note for anyone working in web industry. Have you noticed a disconnect between web designers and front end developers? I have a friend who's a super talented designer. He's given me reference to all these cool sites and they are cool but they aren't very functional from a UX perspective imo and they're almost all JS and get fucked on mobile. I asked him if he thinks in a mobile first design methodology and he doesn't.

It seems like the best designers would be the ones who were extremely talented designers AND knew the limitations of code which they could account for in the design process.
What kind of stuff does your friend do as a "designer"? Is he drawing shit in Illustrator/whatever and hands that off to a developer?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
What kind of stuff does your friend do as a "designer"? Is he drawing shit in Illustrator/whatever and hands that off to a developer?

More or less ya, illustrator, Photoshop and wireframing in sketch. Dude is good, he just moved from an agency to Facebook. Just seems like it would be beneficial (maybe not practical) if he knew the coding limitations.

Vinen

God is dead
Yeah 6.7 is good shit. There were some dark times with 6.0 and that flash interface, but they really have an awesome interface now.

I spent some time with VC leadership a few years ago while visiting a customer. The whole Flash vs HTML5 interface discussion was kinda hilarious.

#bringbackC#client

My secret horror is that one of you guys uses the product I work on.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I spent some time with VC leadership a few years ago while visiting a customer. The whole Flash vs HTML5 interface discussion was kinda hilarious.

#bringbackC#client

My secret horror is that one of you guys uses the product I work on.
All my guys are begging for the C because they are too dumb to use chrome instead of Firefox.

I am sure we use your product.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So this new guy that started has his wife and kids living in Philly while we're in RI working. Drives up every weekend (8 hours?). No stop whining, literally, about his family being so far away. Dude you accepted this job, shut up. But his voice is ultra whiny. And he's Indian so the English is half broken. He also keeps whining that he's not doing Dev work, while I was working on a big feature for another team. Just finished it up and handed another huge project (I had to propose it to the head of software engineering for AMDR). Originally we were going to have 3 people implement but instead it's just me.

I'm just tired of this dude whining all day. I've never worked with an adult man baby.

It's actually a little refreshing doing real development, all in full scrum. I hate scrum, but my last job at this company was the wild west of programming. This is much more structured.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So this new guy that started has his wife and kids living in Philly while we're in RI working. Drives up every weekend (8 hours?). No stop whining, literally, about his family being so far away. Dude you accepted this job, shut up. But his voice is ultra whiny. And he's Indian so the English is half broken. He also keeps whining that he's not doing Dev work, while I was working on a big feature for another team. Just finished it up and handed another huge project (I had to propose it to the head of software engineering for AMDR). Originally we were going to have 3 people implement but instead it's just me.

I'm just tired of this dude whining all day. I've never worked with an adult man baby.

It's actually a little refreshing doing real development, all in full scrum. I hate scrum, but my last job at this company was the wild west of programming. This is much more structured.

Don't you work for a DoD contractor noodle? I have lots of similar war stories from my time working with big DoD. I quit a year ago and vowed to never go back to DoD. Seems like it's real hit or miss jobs depending on the program you're on.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I work for a defense contractor. It's not very glorious that's for sure. But it's stable

I might look for a more lucrative job later this year

• 1Like