IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Good luck tjt.

So i recently completed a failry complex project at work. I basically did a full ocr service, into an Elasticsearch service, using teseract, docker, AWS ECS, AWS S3, AWS lamda deployment for serverless application, and AWS Fargate tasks.

If anyone is interested, we can do a tutorial like last time.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Good luck tjt.

So i recently completed a failry complex project at work. I basically did a full ocr service, into an Elasticsearch service, using teseract, docker, AWS ECS, AWS S3, AWS lamda deployment for serverless application, and AWS Fargate tasks.

If anyone is interested, we can do a tutorial like last time.

I am interested in this.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Prerequisites
Get a student account access for AWS . Or some account in there.
What OS are you using?
You need to install docker, basically docker is a pseduo Virtual machine that allows you to run images in your PC.
Also you’ll need visual studio community with AWS toolkit installed.
Once you get the AWS account generate your accedss key and secret access key. It is your programmatic access credentials.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Was told today I can work unlimited overtime and also I'm looking at more travel consistently going to the cornfield ship in new jersey. Such a different from my last team where everyday I wasn't sure I had a full days contract to charge

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Do you work 16 hour days because it's mandatory or because you want to?

Mist wants to be miserable. He always has. Some guys are just like that. They get off on misery. No point in playing into it, just ignore him until he's done being mopey.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Mist needs to sack up and go get a PhD in whatever the fuck she does now. HIC or networking or whatever the fuck she does for a living.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mist needs to sack up and go get a PhD in whatever the fuck she does now. HIC or networking or whatever the fuck she does for a living.
I don't even know what I do for a living.

My job theoretically involves telecom engineering and network engineering. Also data center engineering, since everything now runs on some flavor of VMware/SAN infrastructure from Dell or Cisco or Netapp or Simplivity or whatever. Except for all the 20 year old shit that I also support, which runs on flaming (frequently literally) garbage boxes that die all the time and involves me going in the warehouse looking for trash (also literal) to tape up and ship in a box in the middle of the night. So yeah, it also involves the logistics of shipping and sourcing various new or legacy parts in emergencies, dispatching field resources in the middle of the night, etc.

Also involves security, because incident response always includes a security component (we like to leave default passwords on every server, and therefore our customer's servers like to get hacked) and also modern telecom and network engineering require a significant understanding of, things like how to create and sign TLS certs, and all sorts of bullshit with the various DNS records required for certificate chains.

I have no fucking idea what I'm doing 90% of the time. Every shift is just some shitshow of trial-by-fire nonsense because I've never been trained on anything relevant to my actual job. I got hired as a fucking CSR and now I'm a full-stack infrastructure engineer who also does a bunch of logistics, major event management, disaster recovery/bc shit, etc. Also none of our customers' systems are documented so every single fucking incident involves starting over from scratch.

I don't think they make a PhD degree in dealing with tremendous bullshit.

I mean, it could be worse, my job could be boring instead... oh wait, it is unbearably boring on the off-chance that shit isn't literally on fire.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

My job theoretically involves telecom engineering and network engineering. Also data center engineering, since everything now runs on some flavor of VMware/SAN infrastructure from Dell or Cisco or Netapp or Simplivity or whatever. Except for all the 20 year old shit that I also support, which runs on flaming (frequently literally) garbage boxes that die all the time and involves me going in the warehouse looking for trash (also literal) to tape up and ship in a box in the middle of the night. So yeah, it also involves the logistics of shipping and sourcing various new or legacy parts in emergencies, dispatching field resources in the middle of the night, etc.

Also involves security, because incident response always includes a security component (we like to leave default passwords on every server, and therefore our customer's servers like to get hacked) and also modern telecom and network engineering require a significant understanding of, things like how to create and sign TLS certs, and all sorts of bullshit with the various DNS records required for certificate chains.

I have no fucking idea what I'm doing 90% of the time. Every shift is just some shitshow of trial-by-fire nonsense because I've never been trained on anything relevant to my actual job. I got hired as a fucking CSR and now I'm a full-stack infrastructure engineer who also does a bunch of logistics, major event management, disaster recovery/bc shit, etc. Also none of our customers' systems are documented so every single fucking incident involves starting over from scratch.

I don't think they make a PhD degree in dealing with tremendous bullshit.

I mean, it could be worse, my job could be boring instead... oh wait, it is unbearably boring on the off-chance that shit isn't literally on fire.
Dynamics of communication over complex systems? Do that.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Do you think that you can get a security clearance?

You have sec+ and a network one like CCNA or Net+?

I could get you a job pretty easily on the .gov/contractor side that would at least have a pretty defined role.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Do you think that you can get a security clearance?

You have sec+ and a network one like CCNA or Net+?

I could get you a job pretty easily on the .gov/contractor side that would at least have a pretty defined role.
I had to pass a T3 background investigation from OPM for this role, even though clearance stuff/federal contracts are a tiny subset of our customers.