IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Are you kidding me? VI? Fuck that shit. Sure, I know, people who are good with it can be fast as hell, but that's like a tiny percentage of the developer community uses it.

I'm a systems engineer, so I mostly deal in confs and scripts. The main reason to know some VI is that it is standard on pretty much every nix OS ever made. So if you have to fumble through some old bullshit, you can usually rely on VI.

There is definitely no destructor in Java, but I'm sure the dude wanted to hear about finalize. Like I said, dudes ask questions and want to hear what they want to hear, not necessarily what is correct.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I'm a systems engineer, so I mostly deal in confs and scripts. The main reason to know some VI is that it is standard on pretty much every nix OS ever made. So if you have to fumble through some old bullshit, you can usually rely on VI.

There is definitely no destructor in Java, but I'm sure the dude wanted to hear about finalize. Like I said, dudes ask questions and want to hear what they want to hear, not necessarily what is correct.
Your last two sentences seem like a potential possibility and some good insight, world ain't fair. I don't feel as bad now.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Jesus fuck did you go to code camp? This is not the same.
From Apress Java 8 Fundementals:

Finalizing an Object
Sometimes an object uses resources that need to be released when the object is destroyed. Java provides you with a
way to perform resource release or some other type of cleanup, when an object is about to be destroyed. In Java, you
create objects, but you cannot destroy objects. The JVM runs a low priority special task called garbage collector to
destroy all objects that are no longer referenced. The garbage collector gives you a chance to execute your cleanup
code before an object is destroyed.

The Object class has a finalize() method...

Sounds pretty damn similar to C++'s destructor. What am I missing?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

Is deconstructor similar to free in C? If not you're wrong. You're still at the mercy of JVM.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Garbage collection takes care of it and you use finalize to verify if you want. I agree that in docs it reads like a destructor

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What do you guys do to prepare for technical interviews? I kind of hate that I don't know what, if anything, they'll ask.

I have the benefit here that I know their codebase is C++ and I have actually worked on their code before, but they could ask anything.

I've heard of cracking the code, should I just start ripping throigh shit ?

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
What do you guys do to prepare for technical interviews? I kind of hate that I don't know what, if anything, they'll ask.

I have the benefit here that I know their codebase is C++ and I have actually worked on their code before, but they could ask anything.

Cracking the coding interview definitely, hackerrank, leetcode, geeskforgeeks problem list, careercup, at least one good algorithm textbook ( I can recommend one if you like, I have about 8), depending on company brushing up on OS fundamentals, a shit ton of free time and mental space and finally ample lubricant.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

My former advice is very general aimed at big tech companies like Google,I FB, Uber etc. Honestly saving you time noodle, it'd say it depends on what you already know, what sort of companies you're looking for.

Can you give insight into either? What languages, frameworks, tools, etc can you put on your resume and what companies are you looking at? How long have you been a software engineer? Do you maintain an active GitHub(lots of companies will ask for it)? No point in you busting your ass on tech hackerrank like problems if the companies you're looking at don't really interview that way.

If you do want to dive deep I'm happy to give recs on material. I'm a bit of a textbook fiend as I like to see different approaches to explanations/problem solving and sometimes I want an explanation that's more in depth (reducing an algorithm down to it's inductive proof) and other times I just want a 1 pager.

Pic of my current material, mostly utilize the algorithm books, language specific books, and recently that OS textbook.

20190313_071205.jpg

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My former advice is very general aimed at big tech companies like Google,I FB, Uber etc. Honestly saving you time noodle, it'd say it depends on what you already know, what sort of companies you're looking for.

Can you give insight into either? What languages, frameworks, tools, etc can you put on your resume and what companies are you looking at? How long have you been a software engineer? Do you maintain an active GitHub(lots of companies will ask for it)? No point in you busting your ass on tech hackerrank like problems if the companies you're looking at don't really interview that way.

If you do want to dive deep I'm happy to give recs on material. I'm a bit of a textbook fiend as I like to see different approaches to explanations/problem solving and sometimes I want an explanation that's more in depth (reducing an algorithm down to it's inductive proof) and other times I just want a 1 pager.

Pic of my current material, mostly utilize the algorithm books, language specific books, and recently that OS textbook.

View attachment 198834
So their codebase is C++ firmware that runs baseboard management for Intel servers.

For me I'm a c/c++ guy with a lot of UEFI/Firmware/BIOS experience in the Intel and arm space. Lot of Intel tool debugging on my resume, I can't remember the names now.

I'm not really looking is the thing, I was reached out to. No GitHub, although I could make one - mostly rpi stuff and some games. The job im looking at is very low level. Been a professional for about 7 years. Degree is BS in computer engineering.

I have almost all of those books too.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Just crank out problems on Hackerrank, Geeksforgeeks, leetcode... stuff like that. There's a pretty good analysis on the types of questions that they ask.

It's almost always an array question and a string manipulation question... every single time and some variations.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's a good idea, I'll check that out later. Last time I interviewed here they called me out on the assembly language reference on my resume and made me step through code with them (the actual guy leading this team)

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So their codebase is C++ firmware that runs baseboard management for Intel servers.

For me I'm a c/c++ guy with a lot of UEFI/Firmware/BIOS experience in the Intel and arm space. Lot of Intel tool debugging on my resume, I can't remember the names now.

I'm not really looking is the thing, I was reached out to. No GitHub, although I could make one - mostly rpi stuff and some games. The job im looking at is very low level. Been a professional for about 7 years. Degree is BS in computer engineering.

I have almost all of those books too.
What TJT said. It sounds like you'd ace any tech interview that was a take home design challenge, or any questions specific to c/c++ so I'd focus on hackerrank, leetcode, arrays, strings manipulation, linked list, bit manipulation, and maybe graphs, hashmaps depending on company.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Data structures like linked lists and stuff like hashmaps are.a bit outside my wheelhouse so worth focusing

• 1Like