IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
That's a good idea, I'll check that out later. Last time I interviewed here they called me out on the assembly language reference on my resume and made me step through code with them (the actual guy leading this team)
Data structures like linked lists and stuff like hashmaps are.a bit outside my wheelhouse so worth focusing
Should be easy, honestly buy Conquering the Coding Interview, work through the problems, hackerrank and leet code

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That Adobe interview they asked me a collisions question. Which I had honestly never practiced ever outside of university but I know it's extremely important if you do game development. I am pretty sure it was just to fuck with me because this job was for developing their BI platform.

I didn't even know where to start.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
That Adobe interview they asked me a collisions question. Which I had honestly never practiced ever outside of university but I know it's extremely important if you do game development. I am pretty sure it was just to fuck with me because this job was for developing their BI platform.

I didn't even know where to start.
Hash collisions? Rehash if abs necessary, Chaining, , linear probing with consideration of clustering depending on data and probing function.

Did they ask you to implement or just concept??

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Data structures like linked lists and stuff like hashmaps are.a bit outside my wheelhouse so worth focusing
You mean a vector, one of the basic C++ data structures?

EDIT: snarky comment aside, there are some differences between vectors and linked lists apparently.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I understand vectors, I meant advanced data structures/types. Queues, stacks, linked lists - I know how they work, but if you asked me to implement one I'd have to dig deep and probably fuck something up.

Thhey're moving pretty aggressive which is nice - I officially put in for it last night at 1230 and they requested I come in as of like 11AM today

Last edited:

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I understand vectors, I meant advanced data structures/types. Queues, stacks, linked lists - I know how they work, but if you asked me to implement one I'd have to dig deep and probably fuck something up.
If a developer is writing their own queue, linked list, hash table, etc. then they should be fired. Obviously it's important to know when to use one over the other, but expecting an interviewee to implement one via pseudo code or whatever is just dumb.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If a developer is writing their own queue, linked list, hash table, etc. then they should be fired. Obviously it's important to know when to use one over the other, but expecting an interviewee to implement one via pseudo code or whatever is just dumb.

Welcome to coding interviews. lol

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Welcome to coding interviews. lol
What TJT TJT .

O I don't disagree with you at all shaky. But it's the shit we gotta submit to for tech interviews now days. It's pretty retarded.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What's the difference between asking someone to implement hex() or path elision? In both cases, I'm far more interested in how the interviewee handles the challenge than correctness or usefulness, one just happens to be a common builtin.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What's the difference between asking someone to implement hex() or path elision? In both cases, I'm far more interested in how the interviewee handles the challenge than correctness, one just happens to be a common builtin.

Like I just did an interview with Adobe right? I got rejected but whatever. I am starting a new job on 25MAR anyway.

But anyway, here is why the interviews are so fucking dumb. Dude comes in says solve this problem. You can use any language. Okay let's do this in Python. It was that one question that's pretty common where you have to add numbers in an array into some target value. Which is a one liner if you use, pythonic code/inline conditionals or python's array slicing features. Followed by 4 other problems if increasing complexity.

Dude told me I had to write it in pseudocode and not use any of the python features or presumably any language's native functionality. Which is absurd beyond belief to me. Most of these interview questions are asking you to reinvent the wheel. It would be sufficient to just about various sorts. Since in whatever you're developing 9 times out of 10 you're going to just sort(array) on whatever you're working with.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Like I just did an interview with Adobe right? I got rejected but whatever. I am starting a new job on 25MAR anyway.

But anyway, here is why the interviews are so fucking dumb. Dude comes in says solve this problem. You can use any language. Okay let's do this in Python. It was that one question that's pretty common where you have to add numbers in an array into some target value. Which is a one liner if you use, pythonic code/inline conditionals or python's array slicing features. Followed by 4 other problems if increasing complexity.

Dude told me I had to write it in pseudocode and not use any of the python features or presumably any language's native functionality. Which is absurd beyond belief to me. Most of these interview questions are asking you to reinvent the wheel. It would be sufficient to just about various sorts. Since in whatever you're developing 9 times out of 10 you're going to just sort(array) on whatever you're working with.
Maybe they're looking for resourcefulness. When we ask candidates to implement hex(), obviously they can't use the hex() builtin, but they can use any other. We also let them google whatever they want. If they find the exact answer, that's fine, we're going to ask some followups to make sure they understand what they just copypasted.

We're primarily a C/C++ development shop, but our test system is in Python. We ask our C/C++ engineers to build an index(like the back of a book) from a file of unknown size. That requires a bit of work in C but is dead easy in Python. Bad interviewers try to compensate for this by trying to take away from Python what makes it Python. Good interviewers ask a different question.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

It's hard to predict what their thought process was or what they were looking for, that's the annoying part.
Maybe they're looking for resourcefulness. When we ask candidates to implement hex(), obviously they can't use the hex() builtin, but they can use any other. We also let them google whatever they want. If they find the exact answer, that's fine, we're going to ask some followups to make sure they understand what they just copypasted.

We're primarily a C/C++ development shop, but our test system is in Python. We ask our C/C++ engineers to build an index(like the back of a book) from a file of unknown size. That requires a bit of work in C but is dead easy in Python. Bad interviewers try to compensate for this by trying to take away from Python what makes it Python. Good interviewers ask a different question.
What industry is your company in Death? Also what's the size of it? Just curious to see how different companies approach interviews.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Also

For people who are or have used C extensively for work. What IDE if any is the most popular? I assume visual studio? I love intellij for Java and it looks like they have a c/c++ idea.

All my experience was using vim + gcc. While I'm a huge fan of vim I'd like try out an IDE with some more robust features.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ah but see Deathwing you have a different experience.

Most interviews I've been on are whiteboard only, no computer, no google. It's tough to pull that out of your ass.

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Also

For people who are or have used C extensively for work. What IDE if any is the most popular? I assume visual studio? I love intellij for Java and it looks like they have a c/c++ idea.

All my experience was using vim + gcc. While I'm a huge fan of vim I'd like try out an IDE with some more robust features.
IDE????

I use VIM

When I wrote UEFI we used Eclipse/Eclipse-variants

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Also

Well, not "extensively for work" but for C++ during my college course I used JetBrains CLion. Which, if you're familiar with IntelliJ, it's pretty much the same as that.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
In regards to interviews, have you guys considered just pointing them to your Github account? "Check out my repos if you want to see my code", and dispense with the stupid code challenges.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Also

I've used a ton of C over the past 4.5 years. But in a limited capacity as I was doing a lot of performance work at GM. So my IDE was Loadrunner but I consider this C lite. As it has a lot of custom internal features. You can still use all the normal C syntax and shit. But it does a lot of other stuff too.

So my experience with C was limited to the context of using it to manipulate web traffic. Rather than building any actual applications. I am quite the wizard with using C to handle JSON objects and RegEx these days though!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
In regards to interviews, have you guys considered just pointing them to your Github account? "Check out my repos if you want to see my code", and dispense with the stupid code challenges.

I do not think this would go well for you. Maybe at a startup. The hiring process at any moderately sized company is defined higher up than the people actually doing the interviews. Whiteboard/technical video interviews... anything like that is just part of the process.