IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Vinen

God is dead
They made it so hard to leave I almost just dumped my shit on the security ladies desk and bounced. I needed to fill out forms that no one told me avout, took me 30 minutes to find my boss to sign them. Then security needed to debrief me, but it took them 30 minutes because she was new.

Vinen Vinen I made it out. You should be proud.

Later I can post my thoughts about working in defense.

GJ. Glad I didn't have that type of cancer when I quit a Defense Contractor. I remember having to go to HR to give my notice as I had absolutely zero fucking idea who I was supposed to give it to.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
One of the boxes said "did someone inform HR" fuck if I know. My.incompetent manager didn't even tell me I needed to fill this shit out

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was mad because I filled in my timecard with PTO for the rest of the day and they kept me an hour

• 1Worf

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So here's what I think of defense. This might be just my company at my location, so let's preface with that. In fact, I've had to work at the other location that my program was headquartered in and it's 100% nicer than our location

The people here are a mix of very smart people and complete dumbasses And it's a bell curve distribution. I know most places are like that... But the midpoint skill level is much, much lower. For instance, I implemented 3 lines of code to do some bit shifting and masking. It took me over an hour to explain this to a principal software engineer with "a lot of embedded experience". Dude has 20 years on this job. AN HOUR. The junior engineer picked it up faster.

The way they hire is very silly. They aren't allowed to ask technical questions, it's in the rules. So you talk to a bunch of managers and that's it. The big issue is they don't interview you for a specific team/task, it's very broad. The way they hire people is hire first and then place you. I got put on to a program writing Java, which I didn't even know, with a strong firmware/embedded background. My boss even always said he knew I wasn't challenged. I then got put on to a better program two years later at least.

The office furniture is from 1936. When I go to other facilities everyone has standing desk and ergonomic chairs. We felt poor.

Working from home isn't a thing, especially if you work classified. There's no easy way around this but... How will they hire new college grads or retain people? I straight up told them I didn't like it.

The worst thing though is how they treat people on these programs. They make it very clear from day 1 that the biggest threat to national security is us. They treat us like garbage criminals whenever they can. So why work there?

There's no reason to work here unless you want to coast to retirement.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So here's what I think of defense. This might be just my company at my location, so let's preface with that. In fact, I've had to work at the other location that my program was headquartered in and it's 100% nicer than our location

The people here are a mix of very smart people and complete dumbasses And it's a bell curve distribution. I know most places are like that... But the midpoint skill level is much, much lower. For instance, I implemented 3 lines of code to do some bit shifting and masking. It took me over an hour to explain this to a principal software engineer with "a lot of embedded experience". Dude has 20 years on this job. AN HOUR. The junior engineer picked it up faster.

The way they hire is very silly. They aren't allowed to ask technical questions, it's in the rules. So you talk to a bunch of managers and that's it. The big issue is they don't interview you for a specific team/task, it's very broad. The way they hire people is hire first and then place you. I got put on to a program writing Java, which I didn't even know, with a strong firmware/embedded background. My boss even always said he knew I wasn't challenged. I then got put on to a better program two years later at least.

The office furniture is from 1936. When I go to other facilities everyone has standing desk and ergonomic chairs. We felt poor.

Working from home isn't a thing, especially if you work classified. There's no easy way around this but... How will they hire new college grads or retain people? I straight up told them I didn't like it.

The worst thing though is how they treat people on these programs. They make it very clear from day 1 that the biggest threat to national security is us. They treat us like garbage criminals whenever they can. So why work there?

There's no reason to work here unless you want to coast to retirement.
Ya that sums up defense to a T. Fuck them. It's an awesome place if you're a fucking retard who wants to spend your life coasting to retirement. Honestly though fuck that. I don't know how anyone with a decent IQ could settle for that. Best day of my life was when I left defense. Should have done it 2 years sooner.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
It's definitely one of those fields where you don't want people on board who don't want to be there. What does suck about it though, is there are lots of smart dudes who I think could make a big impact if they landed on the right program with the right company - but it's this big giant mess that no one really knows how to navigate when they first get in. So like Noodle, if your first job is a shitty one then it's easy to be turned off by the whole thing and just leave and not come back. You obviously made a good choice though, I would leave too if Dell or someone offered me an awesome job with a 20% raise. The majority of DoD is run on Dell infrastructure though so your still part of the machine anyway.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
It's definitely one of those fields where you don't want people on board who don't want to be there. What does suck about it though, is there are lots of smart dudes who I think could make a big impact if they landed on the right program with the right company - but it's this big giant mess that no one really knows how to navigate when they first get in. So like Noodle, if your first job is a shitty one then it's easy to be turned off by the whole thing and just leave and not come back. You obviously made a good choice though, I would leave too if Dell or someone offered me an awesome job with a 20% raise. The majority of DoD is run on Dell infrastructure though so your still part of the machine anyway.
Ya totally. I agree there are some smart engineers in DoD. One of my coworkers was a real sharp dude, of course he left for a wall street firm after our team lead/manager left the company and her boss decided instead of replacing her to just give my coworker all her responsibility with 0 training, title or raise.

Funny thing is I heard management say multiple times they just couldn't figure out why all these new grads would work at our company for 2 years then leave lmao. I'm like, are you blind?

We have two facilities where I live, about 20-25 minutes apart, with a private airport in-between. When the execs flew into the airport, instead of taking a car service like normal people, they had facility paint two helicopter landing pads on the front lawn of our facility outside the main hallway of the facility (which is all glass) so you have to walk by and see it. So these fuckers had to take private fucking helicopters to travel what would take 10 minutes and shove it in our face. All while the majority of us are having to deal with bureaucratic bullshit on our programs and are getting 0 support from upper management.

Gotta let the company pleebs know their place though!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I agree if I was on the right program I might like it more. I even liked the AMDR program but I was put on a software integration team. No one looks at your resume for anyhtjng besides this dude has known c++ for 5 years

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Moving from the place I have been 18 years to be the IT Director at a private high school... exciting but also kind of scary as I have been in one place my entire career climbing the ladder, so now I am "on my own"

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
First day here

I found the gaming lounge outfitted with Alienware PCs, DX Racer Chairs, giant tvs/monitors, giant headsets, controllers, consoles, etc.

Where am I................

• 1Mother of God
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Don't wind up getting arrested for drugs like the Dell dude.

• 1Quality Calories

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
LOL crack. Got to be more hipster oriented with your drugs especially in the tech world.

• 1Truth!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
First day here

I found the gaming lounge outfitted with Alienware PCs, DX Racer Chairs, giant tvs/monitors, giant headsets, controllers, consoles, etc.

Where am I................
Wait? Where are you? Hopkinton?