IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I only charge to a single project, so aside from being nagged to do it every single day it's not all that painful.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oh I forgot the worst part. Any training under 1 hour was not paid. Anything over an hour only half was paid

• 1WTF

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like every training you ever did was 2 hours or more if you know what I mean.

• 1Truth!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I currently have a timesheet that I simply just need to enter total hours. Previous job I had to actually give an accounting of everything I was doing every day, which was a major nuisance and a lesson in storytelling.

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone actually charge to 6 minutes? Never met anyone who did. More like 30-15 minutes. No way I could keep track of 6 minutes

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I just don't get it if you're doing dev tasks in Jira or some shit. What did you do for the previous 12 hours Sir? Oh IDK, maybe that dev task that took me 3 days to fucking finish. Which you can see in Jira. Nah put it in PPM too.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I of course took my training hours very seriously and followed them them to the letter and also had a stop watch at my desk for every 6 minutes

I don't know what most people did, but there were for sure people that stuck to the 6 minute rule. I had a guy that would hand out charge numbers if he needed you to answer a question and it took more than 6 minutes

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I of course took my training hours very seriously and followed them them to the letter and also had a stop watch at my desk for every 6 minutes

I don't know what most people did, but there were for sure people that stuck to the 6 minute rule. I had a guy that would hand out charge numbers if he needed you to answer a question and it took more than 6 minutes
That's nuts. At my last big dod job no one kept track. Fuck I saw people abuse the shit out of it. Just charge product improvement!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I have to enter time I work on incidents, time I work on projects, any time worked that gets billed to customers is also tracked with its own time codes that get shoved into our old accounting system so finance can bill them, and I also have to fill out my time sheet.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I think I would lose my shit if I had to keep a timesheet... I can't even be bothered to track vacation/sick time, but still add it in like once a quarter.

• 1Truth!

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Not only do I have to track my own time, but as a "project manager" I have to check all the entries on the timesheets of those projects I am responsible for. The time it takes to check those timesheets I bill back onto the projects. Timesheetception.

Vinen

God is dead
I think I would lose my shit if I had to keep a timesheet... I can't even be bothered to track vacation/sick time, but still add it in like once a quarter.

Same. My time is also split up. Its like 5hours in office 2 hours at home 2hours late evening a day. Fuck tracking that.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Lol I used to have a co-worker who would never submit his time. It would take him like a month to (supposed to do it daily). Way higher up management constantly railed my team lead about it but lead couldn't do shit. Can't force him to do it. Was clown town. /Honk /honk

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I guess. At EMC we just did it weekly and it was fine.. but this is it.. my last couple days.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They made it so hard to leave I almost just dumped my shit on the security ladies desk and bounced. I needed to fill out forms that no one told me avout, took me 30 minutes to find my boss to sign them. Then security needed to debrief me, but it took them 30 minutes because she was new.

Vinen Vinen I made it out. You should be proud.

Later I can post my thoughts about working in defense.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
They made it so hard to leave I almost just dumped my shit on the security ladies desk and bounced. I needed to fill out forms that no one told me avout, took me 30 minutes to find my boss to sign them. Then security needed to debrief me, but it took them 30 minutes because she was new.

Vinen Vinen I made it out. You should be proud.

Later I can post my thoughts about working in defense.
I had a similar scenario. Just ended up dropping my shit off at the security checkpoint lol.