IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Well, passed on the job at Capital One. Still can't believe how much they offered to more or less do a quasi devops/i.t. job.

Taking a little break from interviews. Still have a few to finish up. Moved to the beach temporarily to continue studying and working on projects.

If these next interviews don't pan out I'm considering looking into classes at Harvard's extension school. Seems like they have a lot of really industry relevant more advanced classes (ML, data etc), I'd move to Boston which I think would put me in a good spot for networking and take a few classes over 7 weeks, still have plenty of free time to study for interviews and work on personal projects. Thankfully I have the financial leeway to do this.

Anyone in Boston know anyone who's done a Harvard extension class?

Vinen Vinen any thoughts on my plan? I know you said Boston, bay area or Seattle, you're definitely right after doing research. I thought this would be a good first step.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Well, passed on the job at Capital One. Still can't believe how much they offered to more or less do a quasi devops/i.t. job.

Taking a little break from interviews. Still have a few to finish up. Moved to the beach temporarily to continue studying and working on projects.

If these next interviews don't pan out I'm considering looking into classes at Harvard's extension school. Seems like they have a lot of really industry relevant more advanced classes (ML, data etc), I'd move to Boston which I think would put me in a good spot for networking and take a few classes over 7 weeks, still have plenty of free time to study for interviews and work on personal projects. Thankfully I have the financial leeway to do this.

Vinen Vinen any thoughts on my plan? I know you said Boston, bay area or Seattle, you're definitely right after doing research. I thought this would be a good first step.
CapOne paying a ton is because it's not great work, but also they're a really profitable bank and need to pull talent from East Coast metros into RVA. Also it's not great work.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's not exciting work, but I think devops can helpful for a typical developer's career. In the same way that knowing assembly or memory management can be helpful even if you only program in Python or C#.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

You basically work for fun, not because you need to. Which must be nice, i have to admit.

You might as well just start looking at teaching and just kicking it back, nail a couple of TAs on the side.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
CapOne paying a ton is because it's not great work, but also they're a really profitable bank and need to pull talent from East Coast metros into RVA. Also it's not great work.
Thank God I didn't take that job. It seemed fucking miserable.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
You basically work for fun, not because you need to. Which must be nice, i have to admit.

You might as well just start looking at teaching and just kicking it back, nail a couple of TAs on the side.
Nah. Disregarding whatever figure I said in screenshots. The reality is I do have plenty of money, that's invested and does well. I would say that it's not enough to retire on by any means at my age, with my current lifestyle and I have 0 interest in retiring. I don't think I could do teaching.. (could bang ta's tho)

I'd really like to be involved in playing a big contribution to a company. I need a fast paced job that really let's me push myself and not settle for mediocrity. Also one that has lots of room for learning. That's why I'm thinking maybe it's best to hit up startup centric geographical locations.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
It's not exciting work, but I think devops can helpful for a typical developer's career. In the same way that knowing assembly or memory management can be helpful even if you only program in Python or C#.
Ya I absolutely agree. I wouldn't mind devops being part of my job. Heck in 10-15 years I wouldn't mind devops only being my job. Just not right now.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
New job is pretty good. I'm on the same team, so I already know everyone. A lot of the stuff is exactly the same, so I was able to get into a server and start mucking around pretty instantly - even remembered the standard debug password after 3-4 years. I even found my name in some commit messages.

It's also pretty intense - 2 week sprints and I have 3 stories for this sprint starting Monday. Feels good to be back on UEFI though. Made the right choice.

Also there's windows here. And I can hold my phone. And people don't take 4 days to respond to emails.

When I said people at Raytheon were dumb, here's an example. We were doing some bit shifting stuff with this struct:

C:
struct something
{
    uint16_t a:1;
    uint16_t b:3;
    uint16_t c:12;
}

Essentially what we wanted to do was swap the endianness around. I'm not even sure if I was doing it right, but the boss told me to swap everything around.. I did something like this

C:
uint16_t temp;

temp = (a << 15) | (b << 12) | c;

c = (0xFFF0 & temp) >> 4;
b = (0x000E & temp) >> 1;
a = (0x0001 & temp);

My brain is fried but I think that's the right logic. It took me over an hour to explain that code snippet to a principal engineer that was an "embedded pro". Guy fought with me forever.

The worst part is I couldn't think of a better way to do it outside maybe a Union? I'm not sure if we were even doing an endian swap correct. I THINK that's how you do it on a bitfield, but everyone there was too retarded to even understand the concept.

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I finished one of my first major tasks at this new job and in so doing discovered a massive, but cool, problem we need to solve. However the people I need to sign off on it before I can push to production have been telling me they're busy all week and we want to close the task out today.

Dumb shit and it pisses me off. Like dudes, you requested that I do this, I completed it and need to close out the sprint. Give me 15 minutes of your fucking time please.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I finished one of my first major tasks at this new job and in so doing discovered a massive, but cool, problem we need to solve. However the people I need to sign off on it before I can push to production have been telling me they're busy all week and we want to close the task out today.

Dumb shit and it pisses me off. Like dudes, you requested that I do this, I completed it and need to close out the sprint. Give me 15 minutes of your fucking time please.
I'm usually that person who's busy all week, but when they come to me and say what you said, I eek out 10 minutes to verify and sign off.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I get pretty lost on those bitwise operators... but why wouldn't you just use htons / ntohs?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Leave a paper trail with management. Nothing gets people motivated like seeing their boss CCed
If you CC my boss, it goes to the end of my todo list. My boss just got involved, if it needs to be my priority, my boss will tell me, otherwise I'm assuming my priorities are right.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I get pretty lost on those bitwise operators... but why wouldn't you just use htons / ntohs?
Can you use htons on a bit field? Was under the assumption you couldn't

Although I guess you could just define the bit field in reverse on the receiving host

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Can you use htons on a bit field? Was under the assumption you couldn't

No you're right, I guess I didn't read your objective close enough. I think though, if I was working with data where endianess mattered I wouldn't want to deal with structs. At the very least I'd have to see how the struct looked when it was compiled on the destination computer with the opposite endianess so I could have some sort of end state to work towards.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Even better, another defense company defined it on their end and we had to convert endianess on our end. So as you can imagine they wouldn't give us their source

Needless

Toe Sucker
Anyone familiar with ReactNative and android studio, know of a good way to emulate or test your app on OnePlus/Samsung devices?
I'm getting a shit load of crashes on these oneplus devices but nfc how to actually test on them unless i get IT to order me some shitty physical devices

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
There are instructions to swap byte order, bswap maybe?

BTW I am sad SharpDX has retired. All my home bsp and mesh / animation stuff is sharpdx.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Anyone familiar with ReactNative and android studio, know of a good way to emulate or test your app on OnePlus/Samsung devices?
I'm getting a shit load of crashes on these oneplus devices but nfc how to actually test on them unless i get IT to order me some shitty physical devices
Cant you just use the Android studio emulator and step through for debugging?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There are instructions to swap byte order, bswap maybe?

BTW I am sad SharpDX has retired. All my home bsp and mesh / animation stuff is sharpdx.
Yeah I used bswap to make 64-bit endianness swaps - but bswap won't understand how to do a bit-field.