IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
There is a reason why colleges don’t touch assembly until 2-3 year and some don’t mention it at all. No one needs to start with that shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Just learn a bunch of buzzwords and then when you need to actually get something done ask how to do it on Stack Overflow.

You're now a software developer.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We just had an intern start today and at our daily standup he was asking questions "so jim are you the scrum master today?" "did you guys vote on these points with playing cards?" "what's the burndown chart look like?"

This is what they're teaching the youth.

• 2Worf

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So working on making a smart skydiving altimeter. Dunno where the project will go but I have two engineering friends in on it, one's an aerospace embedded software engineer and another who's an EE. Doing a PRD and trying to pick parts like our MCU, sensors, etc.. Makes me realize how far removed I've been from EE/embedded since graduating college (was EE, CS minor but ended up doing software).. I have a lot to learn/relearn about embedded/EE.

We're going to give TI's MSP432 a shot, looked at the 129 and thought it was overkill although having parallel would be realll nice our display. Considering running RTOS but think it's probably overkill. Have our eye on a few Bosch barometric pressure sensors, NXP gyro's/accel. Trying to pick a bluetooth module that fits our requirements, nordic always seems to have had a good reputation, TI has some options.

Picking an LCD seems like a real bitch... Ideal world would be 2-2.6 inches diagonal, graphic TFT, color, sunlight readable (transreflective maybe?)... More complicated than I thought heh. LCD manufacturers are super segmented, can't find a good website for picking/comparing them (buydisplay.com, digikey, etc don't offer enough options). I think getting what I want in color is going to either cost too much or require such high NIT for sunlight readability that it'll drain battery life too fast.

Anyone here have LCD experience or played around with bluetooth modules from different manufacturers?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
There is a reason why colleges don’t touch assembly until 2-3 year and some don’t mention it at all. No one needs to start with that shit.
Lol, they taught us intel 8080 and MIPS for assembly. Of course the year after I graduate they adopted using TI's MSP430 for teaching assembly...

Vinen

God is dead
And unlike retard, you always go full stack.

Ahh Full Stack. Also know as people who can do everything and nothing. Mostly nothing because they haven't gone deep enough to actually learn something.

• 2Like

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
One of my techs today....Discovered the insert key.

And not in a "huh, wonder why I never used that key before" way, more of a "holy fuck what is happening to my computer!?!?!?!" kinda way.

I want to fire him.

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Shit, was it 3 years? It doesn't seem like it was that long. I feel like i just found out i was in a coma for 12+ months or something.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It was about 2.5 I think. I felt like I was in a coma working there.

They've got me doing pretty intense dev work right out the gate

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Am I wrong to think it's stupid to do a DevOps job without root on the machines that are your responsibility?

Vinen

God is dead
Am I wrong to think it's stupid to do a DevOps job without root on the machines that are your responsibility?

It depends. What does DevOps mean in this context. It's a rather overloaded term and isn't really a job description. DevOps Engineer reads to me like a Process Engineer (True QA) at a Defense Contractor. DevOps is not a career.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It depends. What does DevOps mean in this context. It's a rather overloaded term and isn't really a job description. DevOps Engineer reads to me like a Process Engineer (True QA) at a Defense Contractor. DevOps is not a career.
I was trying to setup a sandbox on one of our OSX test machine. After a couple hours, I found it impossible to delete what I'm guessing are Apple's stupid version of symbolic links without sudo.

The frustration is that I can take the time learn these systems and their nuances and I'll still be hamstrung by having to ask IT to do 5 minute trivial tasks that will instead take them a month.

The above is what I frequently end up doing instead of coding, it's depressing.