IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
My new PC is awesome, i can have a full botting crew in EQ playing while I do Visual Studio work.

Work from home moar nao.

Siliconemelons

What do you need all this gaming power for!!!!

playing a 20 year old game...

it is awesome

hope my new work computer comes in, its a 15" MacBook pro- nothing cray, cray but it has a descreet ATI card with 4GB ram and a 9th gen i7 6 core so that is awesome - I currently use some random HP i5 from 5 years ago with the built in intel shared card.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Just learn a bunch of buzzwords and then when you need to actually get something done ask how to do it on Stack Overflow.

You're now a software developer.

I was trying to teach myself python programming a few months back. I kept hating myself for having to google how to do shit, until I saw a python developer who was master class (at least comparatively) using google like it was his long lost butt buddy.

I really should go back to it.

Vinen

God is dead
I Googled everything early on. You eventually start remembering things you do everyday

Googling well is an important skill. I had to write a hotfix application today using Powershell having not used powershell in years.

Half my time was

Powershell foreach
Powershell read registry
Powershell...

Still managed to do it in a day because instead of jerking around I just googled it to get it figured out in 5 minutes instead of 10.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Early on I'd get hung up on pointers (and still sometimes with double or triple pointers) but usually now it's always some compilation error

I'm unfortunately working on something that isn't really readily available. Every company that writes uefi keeps it under lock and key

Had a great 1:1 today, first one so far. Basically very impressed. Felt pretty good

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I was trying to teach myself python programming a few months back. I kept hating myself for having to google how to do shit, until I saw a python developer who was master class (at least comparatively) using google like it was his long lost butt buddy.

I really should go back to it.
you will always google everything.

this is me literally 5 minutes ago, it is now 4:40

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Code:
            try: 
                print "checking for file: " + file
                f = open(file, "rb")
            except Exception:
                if f is not None:
                    if not f.closed:
                        f.close()
                f = None 
                time.sleep(sleeptime)

Outsourcers are ALWAYS a mistake.

• 1WTF

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Love my job but had a required 14 hour day yesterday

I mean... They did take us out for lunch and dinner. And we did all game in our gaming lounge... But that was rough

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm creating a script in python that lets me pull shit from our warehouse and push it to Salesforce. For now. I've opted to just host this on AWS Lambda because we have a ton of shit there already and Lambda is basically free outside of extremely massive data sets. Where an ETL tool would be a much better option.

Pretty fun little project. I haven't used Salesforce for anything really before but their API is good and the python simple-salesforce one is really easy to get into. Connecting to our, "data lake" platform is a bit interesting though. I've never worked in an environment that used the ELT model over the ETL one but it is pretty cool.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've got a few nagging problems with vs code that are driving me nuts. There might be settings for them but half the stuff under editor are really vague.

The main one is tabbing over from a known type like int or float or even a known struct. Here (if this video works) is what I mean:

Tabbing over from br shouldn't complete anything because BinaryReader is a known type. Constantly having to back up and fix that and hit esc to keep it from being stupid.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What do you need to do TJT TJT ?
I have been doing salesforce apex for 2 years now.

I'm either going to connect to a snowflake database or to our Looker BI platform and move data from there and force it into a field I created in SFDC. The first I presume of many that I will need to do this for. So I thought making a lambda function for this would be best since it is effectively free, we already have a bunch of AWS stuff and I will be able to easily add more shit they want to appear in SFDC when they realize it will be helpful.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
My son wants to learn about C++ this summer as he has a course on it this Fall, any recommendation for free online tutorial to go through? Found a bunch just checking youtube but wandered if there is a more "definitive" this is awesome one out there. I haven't checked Khan academy but someone told me they have something.