IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
My question is why are these encryption keys statically tied to release versions? That seems anathema to the idea of an encryption key.

And what is downstream? Out of the customer's site? Or is this encryption all applied within the customer's network?

Typically these are medical devices within the customer's network. In one particular instance we need to send user passwords to the device encrypted with the key that is supplied to us by the vendor.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not a security guru if that wasn't already obvious. But this basically sounds like something you can't "solve" and only mitigate. You're violating the basic security principle of having a key and a lock because you have to deliver both at the same time via some guy.

How often does the key need to be accessed? Maybe you could do something where you hide it behind a bunch of mathematical computations, lowering the chance of brute force if someone gets it.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Need some ideas from a security guru on something:

Our software is installed on a customer's server by delivering installation files to it and running the setup executable -- you know, like any old fashion Windows application. This also applies to updates to the application as well -- install files are copied over and setup ran which then updates the existing app.

There are parts of our application that need encryption keys in order to send sensitive information to something downstream. These encryption keys may need to be changed or added to the application over time. The problem is, how do we deliver these updates in a secure manner? Up to this point they are embedded as part of a database update script, which of course is not good since they are sitting there in plain text. This isn't so much of a problem if the installation files are deleted afterwards, but there's no guarantee that some doofus won't forget to do this.

So we're trying to think of some (simple) way to get this data into an existing instance of the application without having it exposed along the way -- this includes as plain text in a db update script (which is the way it is now) or even a .dll file which could be disassembled.

The three options proposed are:
1) Include an encrypted+password protected .zip archive that contains the data, then the installation guy supplies a password so the install program can extract it
2) Ship a SQlite encrypted database with the install program that has the data which, like #1, requires a password in order to be accessed.
3) Just use some method to obfuscate the keys making them difficult to discern if the dll is disassembled. This wouldn't be as secure as the above options obviously, but good enough(?).

Is there anything I might be overlooking?

PS. our setup program cannot reach out to an external resource for data. It all has to be local.
option 1 or 2 are your best bet, but neither are "great"... doesn't matter as long as the password isn't static on every delivery of the zip/sqlite.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Of those options, 1 seems best, 2 is not great not terrible, just kidding it's terrible, but it isnt 3. This seems like the kind of problem SSL was built to solve. Even assuming you cant reach out to an external CA for certificate validation.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Of those options, 1 seems best, 2 is not great not terrible, just kidding it's terrible, but it isnt 3. This seems like the kind of problem SSL was built to solve. Even assuming you cant reach out to an external CA for certificate validation.
The CAs are included in most distros, what the servers that can't get to the internet wouldn't be able to do is check a CRL (revocation list) to find out if your cert got stolen. Or hell just create your own CA, send the root public to clients.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, every "disconnected" environment I've worked in has just used an internal CA for that. But it seems like the obvious solution so I'm thinking there must be some reason it wont work.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Need some ideas from a security guru on something:

Our software is installed on a customer's server by delivering installation files to it and running the setup executable -- you know, like any old fashion Windows application. This also applies to updates to the application as well -- install files are copied over and setup ran which then updates the existing app.

There are parts of our application that need encryption keys in order to send sensitive information to something downstream. These encryption keys may need to be changed or added to the application over time. The problem is, how do we deliver these updates in a secure manner? Up to this point they are embedded as part of a database update script, which of course is not good since they are sitting there in plain text. This isn't so much of a problem if the installation files are deleted afterwards, but there's no guarantee that some doofus won't forget to do this.

So we're trying to think of some (simple) way to get this data into an existing instance of the application without having it exposed along the way -- this includes as plain text in a db update script (which is the way it is now) or even a .dll file which could be disassembled.

The three options proposed are:
1) Include an encrypted+password protected .zip archive that contains the data, then the installation guy supplies a password so the install program can extract it
2) Ship a SQlite encrypted database with the install program that has the data which, like #1, requires a password in order to be accessed.
3) Just use some method to obfuscate the keys making them difficult to discern if the dll is disassembled. This wouldn't be as secure as the above options obviously, but good enough(?).

Is there anything I might be overlooking?

PS. our setup program cannot reach out to an external resource for data. It all has to be local.

I would think that you could include a public key in your DLL that then generates the "encryption" key at install time. As long as it is signed by the public key then your downstream application should trust it for encryption.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Not directly job related, but I have some leeway at my company to attend training and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good Las Vegas based training, seminars, or conventions that cover topics related to IT Security, Process Management, Change Management, IT Risk, or Risk Management. I can't find a good resource to search for upcoming events related to those things.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Little late, but there's always Blackhat. Some pretty badass training this year, I'm looking to get out there next year.

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
As chaos chaos said, Hacker Summercamp is next week...
BSides LasVegas is Tues/Wed (InfoSec Community driven, talks and networking and fun stuff
Black Hat is Wed/Thur with some training starting before that (InfoSec conf w/ tons of vendors and parties and dinners and shit)
DefCon is Thurs-Sun (Hacker Conf, tons of talks, villages, parties, and meetups)

BSides is sold out unless your company sponsors for a badge (don't do that)
BlackHat is like $2000-$5000 a ticket, but you might be able to find a security vendor to give you a pass if you deal with them. I got one from a vendor, and another for a coworker from a different vendor. I do have to go to their dinner/party, but c'est la vie.
DefCon is $300 (cash, at the door), and is pretty amazing. There is no cap, so do it up. PM me if you decide to go.

OTHERWISE, if you have the money: SANS is having an event in Vegas in September Cyber Security Training in Las Vegas | SANS Network Security 2019 If you want the Platinum-Standard technical security training, this is it. I'll be sending one employee to it,, and possibly two. It's fucking expensive, but I believe it has the value proposition to be worthwhile. Skip 301... just don't do it. Also the 401 test is hard. It's a ton of technical information, but it's awesome to see people pass it.
Recommended courses:
SEC401 - GSEC Certification, good class, base level tech knowledge
SEC504 - GCIH, Incident Handling and Hacking tool. This is one of the instructor's last courses he'll be teaching, and he wrote the textbook and course work for this course. John Strand is amazing and I wish I could take this class from him.
FOR578 - Cyber Threat Intelligence. Robert M Lee runs one of the coolest security companies working to secure industrial controls. He also wrote the book and sort of started the CTI business for private companies.
And there are ton of forensics classes and PenTesting/Red Teaming classes taught by the industry best, the list of instructors and classes is pretty amazing.

The SANS classes are like $6600 each, the exam is $775, and then there is food and lodging. A big part is the after-class stuff, as they have CTFs, NetWars, and competitions along with networking and other events (and a summit like this sometimes has ad-hocs presentations also, but not like SANSFire in DC does).

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
My office moved north, closer to my new house, so my hour commute is now a 45 minute one.

They went all out and we all got adjustable desks with super nice Haworth chairs

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I have yet to respond to my plea for help last month, obviously. Will post tmrw.

I do have a quick question.
Pros and cons of an aggregator website.
Also, is paywall/subscription based curation actually viable in the building up of the cpm growth stage or should I skip that and possibly not use it even in the future?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Kind of a fucking hail mary here but I don't suppose any of you have ever successfully configured Guacamole in such a way that there's no hardcoded passwords and you don't have to disable NLA on your Windows boxes?

edit: got it. You'd figure this would be well documented but I guess most admins just YOLO it and shut off NLA or hardcode user passwords because this world is a hellscape of pain.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is there a way I could "test drive" being a developer? I'm currently a QA manager and while I do a fair bit of programming, mostly in Python, I don't feel like I'm a "real" developer. Is there a way I could see if the grass really is greener without actually hopping the fence? This is a good paying job, I get a 4-5% raise and bonus reliably each year, I don't think there's a risk of layoff outside of the whole company tanking. But I'm also the sole source of income for our family, so rolling the dice on a new job feels a bit reckless. Is there something short of that I could do?

Vinen

God is dead
Is there a way I could "test drive" being a developer? I'm currently a QA manager and while I do a fair bit of programming, mostly in Python, I don't feel like I'm a "real" developer. Is there a way I could see if the grass really is greener without actually hopping the fence? This is a good paying job, I get a 4-5% raise and bonus reliably each year, I don't think there's a risk of layoff outside of the whole company tanking. But I'm also the sole source of income for our family, so rolling the dice on a new job feels a bit reckless. Is there something short of that I could do?

The best option I'd say is to speak with your Managerment team to see if you can work your way in that direction.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The best option I'd say is to speak with your Managerment team to see if you can work your way in that direction.
The company is relatively small, a bit over 100 employees, there's not a whole lot of flexibility in that regard.

One of my minions tried to do that a few times, he's still stuck in QA. It could be he didn't "put in his time" or he just didn't have the skills they wanted, but I know my boss took offense to the request. Kinda like "we hired you to do this, you're doing this".

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think the greener grass just depends on what kind of stuff you want to code. I imagine you're giving your minions tasks to automate testing in Selenium or something? When I was an SDET I enjoyed the selenium development tasks most of the time. It was the other aspects of QA I disliked. So I moved into performance engineering when the opportunity presented itself. Which was a lot more fun until I just got fed the fuck up with General Motors.

If you just want to code, solve problems and be more involved with the design process then yeah the grass will definitely be greener.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well, you could do a couple things I think.

Look up small contracting jobs - there was some app that's eluding me right now that let you take on very small projects for some agreed upon pay. It's kind of hit or miss, but you could try to land some small time stuff and do that in your free time.

You could also just look on indeed or wherever for part time freelancing/contracting work. Yeah, you'd be working a lot more but it would give you an idea if you liked it.

Money aside, you could start working on personal projects and just treat them like a real product. Do source control, document everything, code and test, etc.

I don't think many people here would actively want to be in QA, so I would think you'd be happier doing dev work.

As far as rolling the dice on a new job - I've done it 3 times. It's a little weird and sometimes the transition is rocky, but in the end every move was worth it.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think the greener grass just depends on what kind of stuff you want to code. I imagine you're giving your minions tasks to automate testing in Selenium or something? When I was an SDET I enjoyed the selenium development tasks most of the time. It was the other aspects of QA I disliked. So I moved into performance engineering when the opportunity presented itself. Which was a lot more fun until I just got fed the fuck up with General Motors.

If you just want to code, solve problems and be more involved with the design process then yeah the grass will definitely be greener.
We use Selenium as a browser driver, but we don't actually do any coding for it in terms of tasks and complex browser control/clicking. Coding up the class that acted as the interface between our test system and Selenium python code was actually one of more fun things I did over the last year. I essentially want more of that. But I also feel like that was kinda routine for a typical developer. Like even if I can get more tasks like that, I'd still be essentially limiting myself.

Monitoring 15+ email lists, nagging developers about shitty commits breaking the build because they ignore their own emails, triaging test results, I could do without that. I know most jobs have their bullshit quota, but essentially being the developers' janitor is really demoralizing. I will say instituting git's pipeline has helped a ton in this regard.

Oh god, release testing, fuuuuuuuck that shit. They want to move to a 6-month release cycle too :(

• 1Like