IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
What languages do you know?

Do you want to take the plunge?

Scrape FoH. using python.

scrape it, separate the html components and save it in a database,

have a table for users, another for posts and another for threads.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm not really sure, we have a full QA team that's pretty massive in Shanghai that has a giant automated test suite with thousands of tests. We don't get into the nitty-gritty with them unless they catch something.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What languages do you know?

Do you want to take the plunge?

Scrape FoH. using python.

scrape it, separate the html components and save it in a database,

have a table for users, another for posts and another for threads.
Python I would say is my expertise. I'm decent at C/C++, Java, and shell. There's a smattering of other languages that I'm competent at but would need to refer to documentation heavily to do even basic stuff.

Scraping a website would be actually pretty easy. We have a web crawler as part of our test system for testing the browser component of our product. I've also written scripts to scrape code examples off cppreference.com and make tests out of them to ensure we're exercising modern C and C++ language features.

The database part, I probably wouldn't know how to do initially.

I'm guessing this is what you did for a_skeleton_03?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Yes.

It is a good exercise for a novice programmer. You have an idea how to do it. It is the first step.

Now comes the implementation part. Make it work.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I enjoy developing my own tools and solving my own problems, but I don't think I could code on a team and have people pick apart my code because it doesn't follow some standard or guideline or whatever. I see the developer dudes at work arguing all the time about stupid shit and know for certain I'd hate working with them.

On another note, even though it may be a bad decision (I'm already a defense contractor so my decision making process is flawed anyway) I think I might take this RedHat gig. 125k annually, substantially cheaper health care and other perks are pretty good. That's about a 20% raise (25% if you count the almost 5k per year I save in health care costs) and I get to keep my clearance since it's public sector consulting.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
You could also just look on indeed or wherever for part time freelancing/contracting work. Yeah, you'd be working a lot more but it would give you an idea if you liked it.
Has anyone tried this? Something I am sorely lacking is experience with other code bases. I've worked on two applications for my current job (one is an old ass ASP.NET WebForms application, the other is a newer Angular 2+ / WebAPI contraption), but that's all my experience involves. I'd love to see what architecture and patterns other enterprise level applications have used.

So I had considered looking for part-time work just to see what other stuff out there looks like.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I enjoy developing my own tools and solving my own problems, but I don't think I could code on a team and have people pick apart my code because it doesn't follow some standard or guideline or whatever. I see the developer dudes at work arguing all the time about stupid shit and know for certain I'd hate working with them.

On another note, even though it may be a bad decision (I'm already a defense contractor so my decision making process is flawed anyway) I think I might take this RedHat gig. 125k annually, substantially cheaper health care and other perks are pretty good. That's about a 20% raise (25% if you count the almost 5k per year I save in health care costs) and I get to keep my clearance since it's public sector consulting.
It isn't really picking apart, and adhering to a coding standard keeps things looking clean and consistent. Yeah sometimes you get the autistic guy that complains your spacing doesn't look right, but in general I've found it much better than that.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I would think that you could include a public key in your DLL that then generates the "encryption" key at install time. As long as it is signed by the public key then your downstream application should trust it for encryption.
So if anyone gives a shit, this is what I decided to do:

Our application's installer is now passphrase protected. This passphrase was used to encrypt the symmetric key used in our application. The encrypted symmetric key is what exists in the installer program. During installation the symmetric key is decrypted using the passphrase that was entered at the start, then immediately re-encrypted using the .NET DataProtection class (basically Windows takes care of it auto-magically) and is locked to the installation machine. The resulting cipher is then stored in the database. So, if anyone actually gets access to the database this cipher-key is useless as it can only be decrypted on the installation system.

I like this solution because it has the least amount of moving parts and allows Windows to manage the real symmetric key storage.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone tried this? Something I am sorely lacking is experience with other code bases. I've worked on two applications for my current job (one is an old ass ASP.NET WebForms application, the other is a newer Angular 2+ / WebAPI contraption), but that's all my experience involves. I'd love to see what architecture and patterns other enterprise level applications have used.

So I had considered looking for part-time work just to see what other stuff out there looks like.
move to react.

Both those technologies are dead.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
It isn't really picking apart, and adhering to a coding standard keeps things looking clean and consistent. Yeah sometimes you get the autistic guy that complains your spacing doesn't look right, but in general I've found it much better than that.

I'm all for having internal standards and style guides and stuff. To clarify, I more meant that I hear dudes arguing about external standards (that I'm not even sure exist) by like Google, or Microsoft. If you ever want to kick off a small scale civil war, ask .NET devs about Entity Framework and watch the room divide.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
If you ever want to kick off a small scale civil war, ask .NET devs about Entity Framework and watch the room divide.
Right tool for the job and all of that, but I can't imagine why anyone would rather use ADO.NET or write SQL strings over EntityFramework. I guess I can see it if you're primarily a database guy and want absolute control. But, my God, that shit is awful. AWFUL.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I manage two applications, among several. One is written with ado and sql, and the other with ef. Both have their pros and cons.

Overall, ef wins.
But also the ado is written beautifully and it is very easy to manipulate the data on it.

I also seen bad ado implementation that are not reusable.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So I polished up my resume(it really helps to get stuff done with the family out of town) and I realize I'm not sure what the site du jour for finding jobs is. Last time I use linkedin and I think monster? It's been over 5 years at this point. I've seen indeed mentioned. Any other sites I should be using?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I use linkedin mainly nowadays. I do use indeed too, but it's heads or tails if it's worth it.

Usually I just kind of browse company websites to see what they have and submit through them

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So I polished up my resume(it really helps to get stuff done with the family out of town) and I realize I'm not sure what the site du jour for finding jobs is. Last time I use linkedin and I think monster? It's been over 5 years at this point. I've seen indeed mentioned. Any other sites I should be using?
LinkedIn and Indeed. Change your linkedIn status to not broadcast, then mark yourself as open to offers. You're gonna get spam but c'est la vie. Indeed you can fine tune. You should also find the size of a company you want to work for, then stalk the open positions on their websites. I prefer enterprise because it gives a bit of wiggle room for changing positions internally, and the pay is "usually" better.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
It will depend on your location and what skills/certs you have, but all I did to get my current job is post my resume on linkedin and clicked the button saying I would be interested in offers. Took all of a week before I had the folks reach out to me who got me my current job. Been here for 2.5 years. Pay is decent. If I get the urge to move on I will cert up and do the same most likely.