IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I use linkedin mainly nowadays. I do use indeed too, but it's heads or tails if it's worth it.

Usually I just kind of browse company websites to see what they have and submit through them

Some insight here. I sit near our recruiters and recruiters seem to universally despise Linkedin and will go out of their way to avoid it if at all possible. When I asked them about this they just told me its less readable and generally more annoying to work with. Indeed is their favorite by far.

They also routinely (like dozens of times a day) get 10+ page resumes in applications. What the fuck?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
I try to keep mine at 1, although I guess now it'll start being 2

I only care about the last 2-3 jobs. I tend to ignore the second page of a resume.

If you have 5+ years of experience I don't care about the following

1.) What you did in High School
2.) What College/University you went to
3.) What clubs you were in in school

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I only care about the last 2-3 jobs. I tend to ignore the second page of a resume.

If you have 5+ years of experience I don't care about the following

1.) What you did in High School
2.) What College/University you went to
3.) What clubs you were in in school
Well I've had 4 professional jobs :p

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Goes without saying that they dumpster 10 page resumes instantly. Mine is always one page and one page only. If there is s second page it is just references because some applications require references. But you wouldn't believe the amount of dumb shit people put on the resume lol. Lendarios Lendarios it is apparently common to list your Trailhead flair on your resume in applications.

As I am a bit later in my career now I will have to be less chronological in my resume and more skill focused from this or that job. I do try to keep my Army time in there just because you'd be surprised how far it gets you even though I think that military service is overrated. Nonetheless if it gets me interviews, whatever.

Vinen

God is dead
Goes without saying that they dumpster 10 page resumes instantly. Mine is always one page and one page only. If there is s second page it is just references because some applications require references. But you wouldn't believe the amount of dumb shit people put on the resume lol. Lendarios Lendarios it is apparently common to list your Trailhead flair on your resume in applications.

As I am a bit later in my career now I will have to be less chronological in my resume and more skill focused from this or that job. I do try to keep my Army time in there just because you'd be surprised how far it gets you even though I think that military service is overrated. Nonetheless if it gets me interviews, whatever.

Military service is a def exception. Should always list that.
At least says the person has some level of discipline. Also I believe there are certain benefits companies can get if they hire ex-military.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah if I saw army listed on a resume id automatically not throw it in the trash. Profound respect for military service.

Mines always been 1 page and I've technically landed every single job I've interviewed for

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Also really loving this job but there's something nagging me a bit. As some might know we do both our own hardware and almost all firmware. I work in UEFI (BIOS) and I wouldn't say we're the most important firmware, but definitely a critical piece. Probably BIOS and BMC (iDRAC) are the most important to booting a server. But my complaint is were definitely treated like second class citizens. We're the first to be blamed for anything - bugs, slips, delays, etc. We are t taken into consideration for anything, just that we will meet the hardware teams demands. The hardware team gets all the praise too, because bios is just expected to o work

You can. See it on people's faces too. The firmware guys are drained by the amount of work we have to do. And it's going to get way worse soon when they launch a shit ton of platforms.

The work is awesome though. I do more dev here in a day than I was doing per month at raytheon. Very interesting stuff too, low level shit that most people hate.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
LinkedIn and Indeed. Change your linkedIn status to not broadcast, then mark yourself as open to offers. You're gonna get spam but c'est la vie. Indeed you can fine tune. You should also find the size of a company you want to work for, then stalk the open positions on their websites. I prefer enterprise because it gives a bit of wiggle room for changing positions internally, and the pay is "usually" better.
When's the last time you used this setting? I couldn't find anything 100% matching as there are no hits for "broadcasting" in the settings pages. I wanted to be sure before I changed the offer setting as my boss and several others at my current employer are connected to me.

I did just notice I miscalculated my raise and bonus, it was 4% and 9% respectively. Makes looking for a new job a bit tougher. I wonder if I ask my boss which part came from my hard work and which part came from us chasing government contract dollars(we did pretty well), that I would get a straight answer.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
When's the last time you used this setting? I couldn't find anything 100% matching as there are no hits for "broadcasting" in the settings pages. I wanted to be sure before I changed the offer setting as my boss and several others at my current employer are connected to me.

I did just notice I miscalculated my raise and bonus, it was 4% and 9% respectively. Makes looking for a new job a bit tougher. I wonder if I ask my boss which part came from my hard work and which part came from us chasing government contract dollars(we did pretty well), that I would get a straight answer.
The only setting I'm aware of is the "Let recruiters know I'm open to new positions" which they have a disclaimer on saying they will try not to let your current employer know, but how they go about that is unclear. You can change your privacy settings to minimize visibility to others, but there's no specific setting (that I was able to find!) that further restricts your current employer's ability to see that. It also doesn't broadcast to the public newsfeed or anything that you're looking, recruiters have a different view.

Just coming off of a year long job hunt, I went from the job I was trying to leave to a job that turned out to be kind of a bait and switch then to my current position. I found each through Indeed, I got a lot of hits through LinkedIn but never worked out. Caveat, not a dev, so there's some specifics there that are different, but in general the recruiting staff I have talked with all recommended Indeed over the other platforms. When I was looking, though, I had a presence on everything. Indeed, Monster, LinkedIn, etc. I will say that Monster is trash.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Being a IT director now...even these past few months, only having a 2 person team...

When you SPELL OUT steps to take... and then they DONT DO IT

rustled

Confirm A as only B or only C and then Z as Y if B and X if C -- THEN test sync with systems 1 and 2

"Hey the sync is on"

"So you tested it?"

"No its all going and its gtg"

"Cool, so how did A turn out?"

"Yes, I confirmed Z"

"And A?"

"Yeah its synced, Z came in fine."

"And A?"

"A matters because if we move forward with integrating more and more systems we need to be sure all accounts have A in field 1 or 2 for all systems, not 1 in some and 2 in another."

"But the sync is working and it didnt duplicate anything and all is well."

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That's not an IT issue, that's a human issue. I try to be sympathetic because I know I make the same mistakes but I also try to improve. A lot of people are dumb AND don't give a fuck.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Some insight here. I sit near our recruiters and recruiters seem to universally despise Linkedin and will go out of their way to avoid it if at all possible. When I asked them about this they just told me its less readable and generally more annoying to work with. Indeed is their favorite by far.

They also routinely (like dozens of times a day) get 10+ page resumes in applications. What the fuck?

I think the normal standard is 1 page per 10 years of experience. Unless your are making a C.V. then it is ok to be long.

Siliconemelons

Yeah, I guess it is just "being on the other side"

As the VDI Coordinator I had a few layers of admin above me - and a few teams to support me and for me to support in parallel - but now its just me direct to our cheif and no other teams aside other than differing departments such as facilities, academics etc.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think the normal standard is 1 page per 10 years of experience. Unless your are making a C.V. then it is ok to be long.
I gutted my resume and redid huge portions of it because I wanted to jump from DoD to private and wanted to stick to 2 pages. I had multiple people tell me either it's still too long, or not long enough, or specific bullets were too long or not long enough etc. You get different answers for all this shit depending on who's doing the talking. I just try and roll with what I've got. After this position, it will be very difficult to stick to 2 pages though.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Oh yeah, forgot about Ninja Jobs, they are actually legit. They are geared towards security, but really helpful guys and they got me several very legit leads. I just happened to find something on my own, but they were great.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So I'm sitting in my cube today. Our manager is remote, so we call in for 1:1s. One of the juniors on my team dials in and he's my cube neighbor so I can hear everything.

He starts droning on about how he'd completed all his stories mid sprint and he's pulling backlog items. He then says that he's the type of guy that likes to figure out how things work and really understand the code. He then says me and the other teammate wait for direction and don't really care about that stuff. We just want to code stuff in as directed and that's it.

Not really sure how to take this. For one, I've been here 4 months. For two, my stories are much more complex. And finally, the other coworker he complained about has been here 20 years and is an expert in a certain function of BIOS. A very important function.

I haven't told the dude yet, but I was highly offended. Feels like he's trying to sand bag me and the other dude because he thinks he does more, quality work. I usually let me work speak for itself, I was just taken aback.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
PMed you Skype info. Not sure about your manager, but I know exactly who the rock stars are on my team and who suck. Don't let it get to you. A lot of people bitch about their coworkers in 1on1's.

That reminds me I need to update their Inspire conversations.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Cool man I'll check in on you tomorrow. I've got boxer installed but last time I logged in some idiot from IT kept trying to call me at 3am

And he is a good engineer, just lacks humbleness and tact. I have thought maybe he's autistic which would explain things.

I just can't imagine saying those things unless my boss asked me "we feel so andnso is struggling, what can we do to help him improve?"

My boss rehired me so I'm not really worried about me

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Being a IT director now...even these past few months, only having a 2 person team...

When you SPELL OUT steps to take... and then they DONT DO IT

rustled

Confirm A as only B or only C and then Z as Y if B and X if C -- THEN test sync with systems 1 and 2

"Hey the sync is on"

"So you tested it?"

"No its all going and its gtg"

"Cool, so how did A turn out?"

"Yes, I confirmed Z"

"And A?"

"Yeah its synced, Z came in fine."

"And A?"

"A matters because if we move forward with integrating more and more systems we need to be sure all accounts have A in field 1 or 2 for all systems, not 1 in some and 2 in another."

"But the sync is working and it didnt duplicate anything and all is well."

lol. This ireminds me when I wrote a ton of complex guides on how to exactly do certain things at GM. Then people bitched at me when they asked me, "TJT how do I do this?" So I just sent them the link. Proceed to not read it at all then ask me to show them how to do it. Not happening.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users