IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm willing to bet most software developers don't make $260k a year even in the Bay Area. I know they sure don't on the east coast. Those are Vinen numbers.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm willing to bet most software developers don't make $260k a year even in the Bay Area. I know they sure don't on the east coast. Those are Vinen numbers.

It takes a lot to get to or above the $150k mark as a salaried developer in some company in the Austin area. Obviously this doesn't apply to consulting or in a lot of cases Salesforce Developers who routinely get that much or more around here.

Vinen

God is dead

The amount I state is Comp all-inclusive. That is Salary + Target Bonus + Stock Grants (Only viable if RSUs)
I had a friend move from Boston making ~90K to SF making 200K+. Both all inclusive #s. Went from working at Accenture to Slack.

Note: Accenture underpays their employees no matter where you live.

All I'm saying is know your worth and look around.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm up to 130k/yr now with GD. Bonuses still suck big time, but they beat the offer Red Hat made me salary wise. They are even reducing the cost of health care next year and matching an extra percent on our 401k. We'll be up to 4.5% match (on the first 6%) which is very good in defense and seems competitive with high tech industry as well.

Factor in 2-4 months hazard pay I get each year for going to a middle eastern shit hole - which is 6-10k more per month depending on OT hours - and I'm doing quite all right in the often shat upon defense industry.

I have been with GD for ~17 years now. 401k is 100% match on the first 6%.. I thought this was standard? GD pay varies massively for gov contracts. Some are hot garbage, others are flush with cash. It honestly just depends on the specific contract that you are on. I was on about $200k doing Mid East work.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Do we have any IT people here that live in Canada?

My sister just started working for a company that sources IT workers for big companies. Canada is her "area".

Right now for one position, they are really looking for people with Apex and Lightning experience. Also, experience with Salesforce development.

But I know she has many other jobs that need to be filled also. so if anyone in Canada works in IT is interested they can always PM me.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
130k is a very very comfortable living where I am at in NC. The house I bought for 190k would cost me a million in the bay.

In the 3 years I've been with GDIT, they've always only matched 3.5% on your 6%. I'd say the average across all industries is 3%. High techs are probably higher, I've heard rumor that some match all the way up to 10%.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
It's been months since I last posted in this thread. Fuckin RL can die in a fire sometime.

Even though I'm not totally confident due to never having worked in a work environment coding, this is what I've learned and can muddle my way through.
This isn't a complete list but you get the idea.

Intermediate knowledge of JavaScript, jQuery, HTML5, CSS3, the HTML DOM
Beginner Experience using REST APIs and JSON
Beginner Experience using PHP and Drupal
Experience with SQL (MySQL, MsSQL, etc)
Intermediate Experience with small UX & UI tweaks
Intermediate Experience with Git and modern software development workflows (Agile, SCRUM)
Beginner to Intermediate Experience with C#

Here is what I suck at.
Interviewing.
I've been able to talk myself into jobs for 2 decades no matter the field.
However, my soft skills in this field suck. I can use analogies quite well, but it's tough to do that when I'm not sure about it. I have a rather shitty memory at times, so repetition and being around devs all the time would help immensely.
I've looked into local web dev meetups but they are so few and far between here. Fucked up since this is Portland and all.
I have bombed repeatedly at the technical interview. I tend to blank when the data structures and algorithms questions come up. I've read much on these 2 concepts yet often I get confused or can't bring the answers forward.
***edit
Have a bunch of SEO experience. Shit's easy as hell with the right scripts.

Last edited:

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's been months

That sounds like a lot of progress! Do you have a portfolio of projects that you can demonstrate and talk through? If not, you may be getting treated extra harshly to make sure that you know what you're talking about. Put together a couple of really great examples of what you can do and be able to talk about any part of them in great detail.

If interviewing is the problem, you can study and improve just like anything else. Look up lists of shitty interview questions and have great answers for all of them. If you're serious about improving, practice them outloud and answer just like you would in an interview. Practicing answers in your head isn't the same. You need to develop the muscle memory of actually talking through the answer. Video yourself and review. Do mock interviews, preferably with people you don't know.

If SEO is easy for you, you don't need a job.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It's been months since I last posted in this thread. Fuckin RL can die in a fire sometime.

Even though I'm not totally confident due to never having worked in a work environment coding, this is what I've learned and can muddle my way through.
This isn't a complete list but you get the idea.

Intermediate knowledge of JavaScript, jQuery, HTML5, CSS3, the HTML DOM
Beginner Experience using REST APIs and JSON
Beginner Experience using PHP and Drupal
Experience with SQL (MySQL, MsSQL, etc)
Intermediate Experience with small UX & UI tweaks
Intermediate Experience with Git and modern software development workflows (Agile, SCRUM)
Beginner to Intermediate Experience with C#

Here is what I suck at.
Interviewing.
However, my soft skills in this field suck. I can use analogies quite well, but it's tough to do that when I'm not sure about it. I have a rather shitty memory at times, so repetition and being around devs all the time would help immensely.
I've looked into local web dev meetups but they are so few and far between here. Fucked up since this is Portland and all.
I have bombed repeatedly at the technical interview. I tend to blank when the data structures and algorithms questions come up. I've read much on these 2 concepts yet often I get confused or can't bring the answers forward.
***edit

So, as I have bombed plenty of technical interviews despite being a developer don't be too hard on yourself. If they aren't a bunch of fags about it they use fairly generic questions most of the time. The problem is aspy tech nerds being bitches about syntax and other shit or only wanting specific answers.

Like anything repetition is all you really need. Go to hackerrang/leetcode whatever and just crank out problems until you get them right. Just do data structure/algorithm/array problems in whatever language you're targeting and keep doing em.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Here is what I suck at.
Interviewing.
I'm not a dev, so my experience may be different or not applicable in some ways. But I take notes into interviews now. My memory gets weird when under stress like in an interview, I forget super obvious things. The interview that made me start doing this was with a major company that does penetration testing and risk assessments, I was walking through a pretty basic methodology, the guy asks me one question, and I turned into a retard, literally forgot dns exists, it was ugly. So, I take notes. I have some that walk through major accomplishments/milestones/operations i was on, some that detail processes, some that detail tools, etc. It isn't like I read off the notes, it's just a prompt to jar my memory and get the conversation back on track. Shit's been game changing for me.

For web dev meetups, there's always Portland - OWASP

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

Start making stuff. You are going to keep bombing technical questions unless you start encountering those problems on the field.

Listen to me. Start by recreating this website.

Do this from scratch.
Create a landing page that has a navigation menu, a login system, the latest posts section.

You have to stop SEEING and start WATCHING.

1571235766142.png

Split those into its core html components, and assemble them in a different order. put the posts first, then the thread list.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I just had this small problem to solve.

A dictionary is a data structure, where you have a key is tied to a value. Keys are unique, values can be duplicated.

I have a dictionary Named timmy of <string, string>, and dictionary named Michael of <string, string>
I need all the elements of Timmy that do NOT exists on Michael.

write the pseudo code.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You know that's "Timmy - Michael" in most languages?

Also, ambiguous question is ambiguous. You want the difference in keys, value, or (key, value) tuples?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm a terrible coder but I would do for item in timmy.keys if item in michael.keys then fuckoff else dostuff

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'd do like:

List<string> notMike = new List<string>();

foreach(keyvaluepair<string, string> bleh in timmy)
{
if(michael.containsKey(bleh.key))
{
continue;
}
notMike.Add(bleh.key);
}

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
That sounds like a lot of progress! Do you have a portfolio of projects that you can demonstrate and talk through? If not, you may be getting treated extra harshly to make sure that you know what you're talking about. Put together a couple of really great examples of what you can do and be able to talk about any part of them in great detail.

If interviewing is the problem, you can study and improve just like anything else. Look up lists of shitty interview questions and have great answers for all of them. If you're serious about improving, practice them outloud and answer just like you would in an interview. Practicing answers in your head isn't the same. You need to develop the muscle memory of actually talking through the answer. Video yourself and review. Do mock interviews, preferably with people you don't know.

If SEO is easy for you, you don't need a job.
I have a GitLab account full of my projects. They are all basic and I wrote them over a year ago. I think Lends idea about replicating this site could work to give me newer material. At the least I'll be able to get much more comfortable with the process, syntax, etc.

Thanks for the advice, go all into learning to up my game.

I thought about doing the Soe consultant gig but I want to be exposed to the business learning environment for a while. It's been hard to get past the feeling that I have no idea what I'm doing half the time.
So, as I have bombed plenty of technical interviews despite being a developer don't be too hard on yourself. If they aren't a bunch of fags about it they use fairly generic questions most of the time. The problem is aspy tech nerds being bitches about syntax and other shit or only wanting specific answers.

Like anything repetition is all you really need. Go to hackerrang/leetcode whatever and just crank out problems until you get them right. Just do data structure/algorithm/array problems in whatever language you're targeting and keep doing em.
Yessir, keep drilling them like I drill these twitter girls. Thanks bro!
I'm not a dev, so my experience may be different or not applicable in some ways. But I take notes into interviews now. My memory gets weird when under stress like in an interview, I forget super obvious things. The interview that made me start doing this was with a major company that does penetration testing and risk assessments, I was walking through a pretty basic methodology, the guy asks me one question, and I turned into a retard, literally forgot dns exists, it was ugly. So, I take notes. I have some that walk through major accomplishments/milestones/operations i was on, some that detail processes, some that detail tools, etc. It isn't like I read off the notes, it's just a prompt to jar my memory and get the conversation back on track. Shit's been game changing for me.

For web dev meetups, there's always Portland - OWASP
That's a great link. Thanks so much!
Start making stuff. You are going to keep bombing technical questions unless you start encountering those problems on the field.

Listen to me. Start by recreating this website.

Do this from scratch.
Create a landing page that has a navigation menu, a login system, the latest posts section.

You have to stop SEEING and start WATCHING.

View attachment 226823

Split those into its core html components, and assemble them in a different order. put the posts first, then the thread list.
Okay, I'm going to give this a tryhard and do this. Between completing each component and following the other suggestions I should be able to kickstart my career.

Thanks for giving me some direction folks! Deeply appreciated.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Here is what I suck at.
Interviewing.

Out of curiosity, what specific questions have you been asked?