IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I've been looking for a new job since the company's founder has sold it to private venture capital. New CEO tried to spin it as growing the company, but he pretty much spelled out that he flipped his last company in ~5 years, so I expect he's going to do the same here.

I've found many jobs are asking for code sample or github links. When I'm on the other side of the table, I've never given much consideration for such a thing. And I'm pretty sure our recruiters don't ask for it. What kind of thing do people usually put here?

I don't really code much outside of work. Can use code from work, assuming it's not proprietary and not covered by an NDA? I work in QA, so most of my code work is an in-house test system. As in, we don't sell it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've been looking for a new job since the company's founder has sold it to private venture capital. New CEO tried to spin it as growing the company, but he pretty much spelled out that he flipped his last company in ~5 years, so I expect he's going to do the same here.

I've found many jobs are asking for code sample or github links. When I'm on the other side of the table, I've never given much consideration for such a thing. And I'm pretty sure our recruiters don't ask for it. What kind of thing do people usually put here?

I don't really code much outside of work. Can use code from work, assuming it's not proprietary and not covered by an NDA? I work in QA, so most of my code work is an in-house test system. As in, we don't sell it.

Depends on the context of what you're applying for. I personally have never seen an application here in Austin that required or requested a link to your github. If you're going for some hard Principle Software Engineer type job they might want one. Or a startup. But best bet is to slap together a website/app for some shit or just find some people online to collab with and get credit for I guess. Not a situation I've been in before though. All the shit I coded to practice I just put locally because it never really had any particular use other than teaching myself concepts.

Most of the jobs I applied for were like this, and I did hundreds last year. Your mileage may vary of course.

1. Apply
2. Hackerrank exam or some shit. Almost always array question and something else.
3. Phone call interview
4. In person w/Whiteboard sometimes no whiteboard.
5. Decision.

Possibly two phone call interviews in there. Just depends. That's also whether or not you get ghosted by faggot recruiters at any point in the process. Which happens fucking constantly and is retarded.

I bitched about this shit a lot in the job hunting thread I made so I guess it might not belong here. I had an interview for a performance lead engineer position where the workflow is entirely in C/Loadrunner and some other tools. Only to have a coding interview in fucking python. I asked why they did this and what the purpose of it was. I was told that the application is in python so it's good for you to be proficient in it.

Still don't understand that because the odds of a performance engineer going in and refactoring dev code to fix performance issues is just about zero. It would be insane for a company to work that way. Nonetheless that is what they expected I guess. That was for Duo Security.

TL;DR: Expect retardation in hiring. There's a lot of it.

ShakyJake

<Donor>

I thought this was a decent video on the subject. I followed this guy's advice on how to set up a Github repo for portfolio purposes.

I put up some of my more interesting CSC school projects as well as a couple of utility apps I've developed for work. It show cases a variety of concepts, programming languages, and desktop and web frameworks.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Have you had explicit confirmation that it helped?
No, since I haven't applied for any job recently. But it was rather effortless to put together since I already had code lying around.

HOWEVER, for my current job I often assist with interviews. Some candidates give us their Github link where we then take a look at their projects. It no doubt helps in our decision making.

khorum

Murder Apologist
khorum khorum is this that TAPAS test you were talking about?
I'm sure some form of personality screening is used in low-level HR, even if only as part of a third-party background service. We used it for vetting senior positions as part of broader risk intelligence assessments.

They'd pair it with some kinda basic aptitude testing, kinda like how TAPAS was paired with the basic ASVAB battery.

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

Those HR tests referenced in that twitter feed are not aptitude they are personality - aka SJW filters to only bring on fellow SJW bros. Most company's will steer clear of any aptitude test because "its racist" suit can always pop up etc.

I was in HR when this shift happened- before the process would be:

Post Job, Assign reviewers
Get applications
Reviewers form a pool
Pool is once-overed by HR for generic "You got an inventor and dyke in there? okay"
1st round interviews are done
HR reviews notes aka "Why are you not 2nd interviewing the inventor and dyke and just natzis?"
2nd round of interviews are done with a courtesy interview for one or two of the noted special needs candidates
HR gets more notes on how the dyke and inventor suck and that this natzi white guy is the best
Ntazi is hired OR HR purshes for a "Give them a chance, again..." and you have a final 1v1 interview and hire the natzi with even more supporting documents.

How it works NOW:

Post Job, Assign reviewers
Get applications
HR only gives reviewers the applications they think are good and meet their internal rules/reviews etc.
Reviewers ponder WTF these applicants suck.

And note... this IS HOW HR USED TO WORK back in the 50's and 60's and the process was intentionally changed to NOT give HR power because of a huge litinay of reasons... and now modern SJWism as just turned the ship around.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is this how it happens only in government and other massive corporations? I've no idea how GM did it really. But at our company the recruiters go directly to the hiring manager with whoever meets the criteria, applies, and passes that retarded test I linked.

HR isn't involved until the person is actually given an offer.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, at my company the hiring manager works directly with recruiters. HR sets guidelines for how the hiring process has to go and I think reviews the job posting. But the hiring and interfacing with candidates is all outside of their control.

They did tell us we couldnt set a technical challenge as a requirement for getting hired. We can use it to gauge the skill level of the applicant but we cant say "you cant have this job unless you can hack this thing". Not too unreasonable, imo.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Gov contractors usually hire the same way. Apply online, recruiters pass resumes to hiring manager and HR isn't involved until they sign paperwork. It's way too tough to hire people just based on paper alone so most of the time we wind up calling almost everyone who applies.

Vinen

God is dead
Gov contractors usually hire the same way. Apply online, recruiters pass resumes to hiring manager and HR isn't involved until they sign paperwork. It's way too tough to hire people just based on paper alone so most of the time we wind up calling almost everyone who applies.

And then offer salaries so low you only get garbage.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
And then offer salaries so low you only get garbage.

We aren't even getting garbage, we're just getting no one. My lead and I even pushed for our unfilled positions to get raises (which they did) and we still barely get any applicants. If I had to speculate, I'd say the clearance back log debacle of the last 5 years is part of the problem along with AWS, MS and every other cloud hiring up cleared people for their dive into gov cloud.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Hiring market is real tight for tech even in places like Austin right now. Can't imagine how it is out in the boonies.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Im looking to brush up on some coding skills. Do you guys know of any deal sites that advertise class bundles from Stack Skills, Udemy, and other sites?

Just want to get a feel for whats being offered there and if theres anything worth picking up. Im looking basically at web dev packages

Vinen

God is dead
We aren't even getting garbage, we're just getting no one. My lead and I even pushed for our unfilled positions to get raises (which they did) and we still barely get any applicants. If I had to speculate, I'd say the clearance back log debacle of the last 5 years is part of the problem along with AWS, MS and every other cloud hiring up cleared people for their dive into gov cloud.

Raise them further then. You're still paying too little.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Anyone using angular on new projects or is the conclusion that vue and react are the weapons of choice?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Im looking to brush up on some coding skills. Do you guys know of any deal sites that advertise class bundles from Stack Skills, Udemy, and other sites?

Just want to get a feel for whats being offered there and if theres anything worth picking up. Im looking basically at web dev packages
Hey araysar. I've been using multiple platforms over the past year such as udemy, teamtreehouse, Udacity, etc.

Can you be more specific on what languages/frameworks/tools you want to learn? I think teamtreehouse is hands down the highest quality content and best for learning but because they put so much effort into content, some of their stuff can be outdated (think frameworks that change often, mobile development especially). I'm a huge teamtreehouse fan. You just can't beat quality of instructors+content+integrated dev environment.

Udemy is really hit or miss. I've done some Udacity courses that Google made and was surprised about how terrible they were at purveying concepts/teaching.

Give me specifics and I can try to point you in the right direction.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users