IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Start making stuff. You are going to keep bombing technical questions unless you start encountering those problems on the field.

Listen to me. Start by recreating this website.

Do this from scratch.
Create a landing page that has a navigation menu, a login system, the latest posts section.

You have to stop SEEING and start WATCHING.
Totally agree. You need to create something that's more complicated than the typical Todo demo app.

Also, if you're learning a Javascript framework focus on one. Don't hop around trying different ones. Ultimately the concepts are similar across them all, but try to get reasonably competent with one of them. Angualr or React are your best choices IMO.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Was the intent of the Timmy - Mike exercise to use a contains method or to write your own contains algorithm? The latter is probably never necessary, but exactly the type of shit I could see being asked in a coding interview.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Was the intent of the Timmy - Mike exercise to use a contains method or to write your own contains algorithm? The latter is probably never necessary, but exactly the type of shit I could see being asked in a coding interview.
The intent was for MFF to break down the problem and write his own solution to the problem in the language of his choice. or write his thought process.

• 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
The intent was for MFF to break down the problem and write his own solution to the problem in the language of his choice. or write his thought process.
Saturday.

Been assembling the registration component for duping the site in C#. Once I'm done I'll share a link.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I am suck at coding, but have a question. Is there an easy way to take a .NET project written in C# in VS and compile it all as a single .exe file, like a portable executable? Been looking at ilmerge and it isn't working out right, saying it can't find one of the system libraries when I try to run it. Sharing out a zip file full of .DLLs is not ideal.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I am suck at coding, but have a question. Is there an easy way to take a .NET project written in C# in VS and compile it all as a single .exe file, like a portable executable? Been looking at ilmerge and it isn't working out right, saying it can't find one of the system libraries when I try to run it. Sharing out a zip file full of .DLLs is not ideal.
Look for a Nuget package named Cody.Fostura. It will embed assemblies as an application resource. In other words, you'll compile to a single.exe file.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Look for a Nuget package named Cody.Fostura. It will embed assemblies as an application resource. In other words, you'll compile to a single.exe file.
Thanks! Exactly what I wanted. Still going to look into .NET Core 3 but this is good enough for now.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I threw together a small blog/site. I don't want to pay for server space to put it up and would rather not go through all the steps to get it hosted on my own box. Any suggestions for a temporary site host that doesn't shit ads at users?

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I threw together a small blog/site. I don't want to pay for server space to put it up and would rather not go through all the steps to get it hosted on my own box. Any suggestions for a temporary site host that doesn't shit ads at users?

You're doing this to get a job, right? Don't use a shitty freehost. At the very least, go get a shared hosting account somewhere (dreamhost, hostgator, etc.) and a reasonable .com. Or if you want to learn a bit more about the nuts and bolts of things, get a cheap vps (lowendbox has lots of cheap offers) and do everything from scratch. You can do either for like $50/yr. It's such a such a small lift for what you get out of it.

I've seen some of our applicants spend like 20k on web dev codecamps and "graduate" without knowing how to buy a domain or host a site. Don't be that guy.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
You're doing this to get a job, right? Don't use a shitty freehost. At the very least, go get a shared hosting account somewhere (dreamhost, hostgator, etc.) and a reasonable .com. Or if you want to learn a bit more about the nuts and bolts of things, get a cheap vps (lowendbox has lots of cheap offers) and do everything from scratch. You can do either for like $50/yr. It's such a such a small lift for what you get out of it.

I've seen some of our applicants spend like 20k on web dev codecamps and "graduate" without knowing how to buy a domain or host a site. Don't be that guy.
Not just for a temporary portfolio host for a job, also for a personal project (blog with podcast).
I was running things on Dreamhost. I had to cancel for now due to $ constraints and was hoping for a free host in the interim.
Learning how to set up hosting is pretty straight forward, especially if I'm on my Linux box. Yeah, the code camp certainly didn't teach anything like that. Luckily I taught myself to be competent in that aspect.
Thanks for the advice as always!
Lowendbox is awesome. Great plans and prices. Solid link!

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Microsoft winning the Jedi contract is juuuge

The all-hands meeting on Monday was amazing in that soooo many internal people were hopping mad over this and yet the CEO was stiff-arming questions and sliding around complaints like a goddamn figure skater. That's really the only true skill for a CEO.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider

There's like two steps to host it on your own box. Port forward your router and setup dynamic dns.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I don't know where else to put this but this tweet amused me to no end so I have to share. Sorry for useless spam but omegalawl