IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Looking for fundamentals to build sites. WordPress, CSS, JS - it's been a long time since I did any of that seriously.

Like I said, mostly web development, site building stuff.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Looking for fundamentals to build sites. WordPress, CSS, JS - it's been a long time since I did any of that seriously.

Like I said, mostly web development, site building stuff.
Grab a sub at Start Learning at Treehouse for Free. They're front end stuff is solid. Do their front end track. I did it about a year ago. Way more value for your money than buying an individual course on css, then JS, then html, etc etc

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
dot net core 3.1 is OUT

LTS BABY!!!

I don't see the purpose for a github in terms of determining an applicant usefulness. I have one for the shit i did for the board migration, but I would never put anything professional there.

it is also a generational thing. So boomers don't have them, zoomers do.

• 1Cringe

Vinen

God is dead
dot net core 3.1 is OUT

LTS BABY!!!

I don't see the purpose for a github in terms of determining an applicant usefulness. I have one for the shit i did for the board migration, but I would never put anything professional there.

it is also a generational thing. So boomers don't have them, zoomers do.

Github is pretty much just good to have for a Junior engineer. Even then it doesn't prove anything. I'm sure there is a service out there you can pay to generate one for you over the course of a year to make it look more geniuine. Whenever I interview someone I have a grand total of 0 time to review a github. It's just not something I can budget time for. Same goes for the hiring managers usually. They get 10 canidates in and all of them have it? Yeah they arn't spending 2 days reviewing github. I can get a much better sense of how skilled a person is working through a simple problem together.

For more Senior Positions a basic coding test (to prove that you can actually add 1+1) and several rounds of whiteboarding sessions are required.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Well it's been one year since I decided to give programming another chance after quitting my last job that was exclusively in C. Since then my journey has taken me to html, css, JS, jQuery, revisiting Java, spring, thymeleaf, MySQL, hibernate, maven/Gradle, junit, ngtest, cucumber, to name a few languages/frameworks/tools off the top of my head.

Been doing a lot of spring MVC/boot rest api's recently. Kinda cool to finally see everything I've taught myself tied together. At the same time trying to digest Spring/Java and everything that goes into making a (good) web app using it is like trying to swallow an 800lbs gorilla whole. I'm still trying though and it's kinda fun.

Got a new project for a friend who needs some efficient ways to query metrics using info from his customer DB and stripe account. Just got his db schema and nabbed a stripe API key. Gonna see if I can make something cool and useful.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Github is pretty much just good to have for a Junior engineer. Even then it doesn't prove anything. I'm sure there is a service out there you can pay to generate one for you over the course of a year to make it look more geniuine. Whenever I interview someone I have a grand total of 0 time to review a github. It's just not something I can budget time for. Same goes for the hiring managers usually. They get 10 canidates in and all of them have it? Yeah they arn't spending 2 days reviewing github. I can get a much better sense of how skilled a person is working through a simple problem together.

For more Senior Positions a basic coding test (to prove that you can actually add 1+1) and several rounds of whiteboarding sessions are required.
Are you asking them typical CS algo questions? Program a stack, graphs, etc etc?

Vinen

God is dead
Are you asking them typical CS algo questions? Program a stack, graphs, etc etc?

Fuck no. That shit is stupid. We talk about a real world problem that can be solved with pesudo-code. It's more of a pair programming exercise. Nobody works alone anymore. I want people who are B programmers but A+ at being part of a team.

• 1Solidarity

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Anyone using angular on new projects or is the conclusion that vue and react are the weapons of choice?
I consider myself fairly proficient with Angular at this point and I've tinkered around with Vue. React I'm familiar with from a high level perspective.

To answer your question, it really depends on what you're doing. For simple apps Angular is an overkill. Vue is superior for small apps and multi-page apps. It's also easier to work with and understand. But if it's a large, complex app then Angular is quite nice in the respect that it comes with everything you need out of the box -- routing, http, and dependency injection. Angular also forces a particular structure on you plus you get kinda/sorta type safety with Typescript.

My personal opinion is I wouldn't bother with React unless you're trying to get a job.

I think Angular gets a lot of hate because of Typescript. But if you're a .NET or Java developer then Typescript will be very familiar.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I consider myself fairly proficient with Angular at this point and I've tinkered around with Vue. React I'm familiar with from a high level perspective.

To answer your question, it really depends on what you're doing. For simple apps Angular is an overkill. Vue is superior for small apps and multi-page apps. It's also easier to work with and understand. But if it's a large, complex app then Angular is quite nice in the respect that it comes with everything you need out of the box -- routing, http, and dependency injection. Angular also forces a particular structure on you plus you get kinda/sorta type safety with Typescript.

My personal opinion is I wouldn't bother with React unless you're trying to get a job.

I think Angular gets a lot of hate because of Typescript. But if you're a .NET or Java developer then Typescript will be very familiar.
Any suggestions for front end frameworks to pair up with Java/spring? Been serving it up serverside using thymeleaf as my templating engine. Seems spring jobs lean towards angular knowledge.

End goal is to get a job doing more backend architecture for large scale systems. So any other advice on that is appreciated as well. Learning node JS next. Would like to be able to walk into a situation, hear a customer's backend needs then suggest/implement the back end tech that fits their needs versus using a "golden hammer" for everything. Thought Java/spring + node would be a good start.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Any suggestions for front end frameworks to pair up with Java/spring? Been serving it up serverside using thymeleaf as my templating engine. Seems spring jobs lean towards angular knowledge.
First off, I'm a .NET guy so I'm not familiar with Java/Spring. Although it sounds like it's equivalent to ASP.NET MVC.

So, either framework will work. However, Angular needs complete control of the browser so all Spring will be doing is serving up a static index.html page to launch the app -- no need for a template engine. With Vue, however you could embed it within specific pages of a MVC app. That will make things more complicated so I wouldn't go that route unless you have a specific need (usually this approach is good for legacy server-side apps that one wants to enhance).

End goal is to get a job doing more backend architecture for large scale systems. So any other advice on that is appreciated as well. Learning node JS next. Would like to be able to walk into a situation, hear a customer's backend needs then suggest/implement the back end tech that fits their needs versus using a "golden hammer" for everything. Thought Java/spring + node would be a good start.
Well, if all you care about is backend then probably focusing on the web API, authentication, and database services would be best. The client-side framework doesn't really matter in that regard because no matter which you choose they will be consuming those.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of node.js on the backend. For enterprise applications I'd go with Java or ASP.NET or .NET Core. BUT, if you insist then look into ExpressJS or Nest.JS if you opt for Angular.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I hate angular with a passion, you can read my posts on this thread on that subject. React is the winner of the UI Wars, on my opinion.

and now with webhooks, it makes state management event easier.

also learn AWS programming, SQS, SNS, S3, Lambda firing.

• 1Like

Vinen

God is dead
I hate angular with a passion, you can read my posts on this thread on that subject. React is the winner of the UI Wars, on my opinion.

and now with webhooks, it makes state management event easier.

All Web UI development is cancer.
Prove me wrong.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
All Web UI development is cancer.
Prove me wrong.
It requires separate set of skills, for sure.

for example
I just did this nice GraphQL endpoint on dotnet core hosted in a AWS lambda, everything from scratch.

Pretty sweet.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
It requires separate set of skills, for sure.

for example
I just did this nice GraphQL endpoint on dotnet core hosted in a AWS lambda, everything from scratch.

Pretty sweet.
What's your opinion on GraphQL vs REST? We went REST for our Silverlight+WCF to Angular conversion and the number of end points has quickly grown out of control (plus all the authorization around each one). We began development back in '16 so there weren't real alternatives to REST. But it sounds like GraphQL may have been a better fit...but in ways it sounds like you're just moving all those endpoints deeper in, right? Rather, instead of a bajillion exposed endpoints I assume you have to parse this one query coming in to figure out which resource is being requested. Plus any filtering, sorting, blah blah blah.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
What's your opinion on GraphQL vs REST? We went REST for our Silverlight+WCF to Angular conversion and the number of end points has quickly grown out of control (plus all the authorization around each one). We began development back in '16 so there weren't real alternatives to REST. But it sounds like GraphQL may have been a better fit...but in ways it sounds like you're just moving all those endpoints deeper in, right? Rather, instead of a bajillion exposed endpoints I assume you have to parse this one query coming in to figure out which resource is being requested. Plus any filtering, sorting, blah blah blah.
graphql = 1 endpoint and you dont have to configure all the possible query combinations.

the client handles the query and the fields they need.

For example, your server object has 10, fields, but you only need 3, so graphQL lets you receive only those three and reduces the network traffic by a lot.
It is good, and it has its uses. you basically format the data on the client how you want to receive it and boom, you got it. I've only done reading data, not mutating data.