IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think its too late if you already accepted the offer. Not saying you can't back out of course, but once you've let your current employer know you would jump ship it's only a matter of time where they start looking for your replacement.

I think this depends on a lot of other factors. If you've been around for a long time at some company, especially smaller ones, working as a developer or something you often, "know too much." At a smaller company your work can be quite critical to operations and just replacing you will be a complete mess for them.

Even at GM I had the guy who replaced me when I left trying to contact me on LinkedIn to meet with him and explain how a bunch of the code/tools I created worked and how to maintain them. I even DID comment my code and write some documentation for them before I left. Not that I would have stayed at GM for another second though.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well that's always tricky since there is a possibility you'll find all the same problems at the new company.
This happened to me a while back, without getting into the details I got hired on at a spot that was supposed to be awesome and it sucked, bailed into a place that may have sucked worse.

The second place involved people misrepresenting some stuff so I don't really know, looking back, how I could have avoided it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The second place involved people misrepresenting some stuff so I don't really know, looking back, how I could have avoided it.

Every job I've ever taken had the problem of the interviewer misrepresenting stuff. And usually it isn't even their fault. They recommend projects or system upgrades and then ask for resources to handle the new responsibilities. And then you go there and realize the people who interviewed you are handcuffed and were lied to as well. Sometimes it's egregious, sometimes it's just kind of "well, whatever".

I don't think the responsibilities and work load I was promised were ever what I actually ended up with.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I agree, always something is misrepresented - either it's their fault or just misinformation to them. Usually they're things you can overlook, but sometimes not.

When I interviewed for Akamai they wanted me to start writing their BIOS and there would be team members coming on to support it. It was quickly evident that they had a hardware dude writing it before and I was taking over his mess - and after a year and no real movement hiring people that's when I left. They very clearly wanted me doing the work of 3 people, but I couldn't.

Interview process here was extremely streamlined, almost like they laid out the red carpet for me. I had interviews with people I already worked with before and they were just us talking and nothing about my qualifications or coding. Because of that, I was able to get a better picture of the company after we were acquired and was able to make a decision based on that. They were pretty honest thankfully. They had a lot to say about the cafeteria.......

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Most of my interviews have been huge misrepresentations of actual work performed. Usually its a couple of senior dudes looking to confirm their bias's on tech/work ethic and a distracted manager. This job was mostly cultural fit interview, with most details being off the table due to classification, so I pretty much walked in with little expectations.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yep, that is true. I'm fine with that as making the right choice for my career is worth more than bridge.

Khane

Well, in the future if you are willing to entertain a counter you should talk to your boss before you accept the new offer.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well, in the future if you are willing to entertain a counter you should talk to your boss before you accept the new offer.
Tough call honestly, what if you tell your boss and he walks you out and then the new job rescinds for some reason. Not saying it's a bad idea, just that was always my thought

Vinen

God is dead
Tough call honestly, what if you tell your boss and he walks you out and then the new job rescinds for some reason. Not saying it's a bad idea, just that was always my thought

Nothing stops them from rescinding after hes accepted it either.

Khane

Have you ever heard of this happening in a technical, skilled position? And if it's that kind of a work environment why would you be interested in hearing a counter anyway?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Nothing stops them from rescinding after hes accepted it either.
Good point. Make sure you have something official in writing before you commit to staying. I've definitely seen dudes get promised promotions and raises to stay that either never materialize or take months to years.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You're correct. I wasn't expecting the response I got, otherwise I would have done as you suggest.

Getting it in writing is a good idea.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
If a company rescinds a job offer you made after you accepted and gave notice, then is fair game to trash them on LinkedIn.