IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well I did complain. Multiple people have. At this point it's up to the scrum leader. I wasn't really looking for solutions just wanted to commiserate.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
You guys are wrong. i just dont hit backspace and keep on trucking.
sometimes it comes out good, sometimes it comes out bad.
also the Politics thread is about quantity, not quality

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Well I did complain. Multiple people have. At this point it's up to the scrum leader. I wasn't really looking for solutions just wanted to commiserate.
And you think writing the times on a board is a bridge too far?
Keep raising on every retrospect.
"During this cycle I have spend 2 hours listening to other team members, when 30 minutes would have done".

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think it's totally not my place to do as an individual contributor. You're right though, I'll bring it up at the next retro

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
sorry for tone. this girl at work is being a bitch to me because I go to the same crossfit gym as her ex( guy just cheated on her after 8 years)

Apparently I choosed sides by saying hi to the guy without being mean.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Are you sure she isn't mad because you've been wearing those weird cock pouch pants to work every day ??
I came to work in pijamas twice.

It was too fucking cold (high 30s) and I got dressed and it ws so cold i just put my pijamas over my work pants.

I feel bad for her, she is a 9, but i guess the Same Old Pussy problem hits all us.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I work for the government. Buying stuff to solve all the problems right after you bought a similar thing that solved all the problems last year is all the rage. Except I'm a contractor and my input means fuck all. So now I just make sure that 15 different overlapping products stay running because each has their own little enclave of stakeholders that it is near and dear too.

I think that would be preferable to buying it and never touching it. Then I can at least understand why 3 people felt the need to purchase some enterprise platform and they can defend to some executive their need for a $20k/year tool for the 3 of them.

These gather dust because they don't know how to use them and can't be bothered. It's like, "oh baby you had me at predictive analytics." Like Greenplum. It's literally an overpriced Postgres server that has some kind of AI/ML features. I didn't dig to deep into it before I nuked them because 1. They had no data in these dbs anyway and 2. I don't really care. But sure it does sound cool.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
LinkedIn can be a little spammy with it's own ads and people post a lot of stupid Facebook and virtue signalling shit but it seems to be much less infested with retard headhunters.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I never look at the LinkedIn feed. I just use the job search feature. Indian recruiters do annoy me because you can just search and see they are trying to headhunt outside of the companies direct advertisement job listing.

I had to block the number of one of the Indians because they contacted me 10+ times a day on phone, email and sms for no reason then tell them I didn't want that job because you are so annoying.

For the most part its good though. But I know most HR and Recruiters prefer Indeed as it is much more readable and easier to use for them.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You mean..
Screenshot_20200214-085214.png

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
IDK you just need to learn to navigate it and ignore the noise. Always apply to the company directly. Nearly all of those jobs saying they represent some contractor are just headhunting one abstraction layer from that company and don't represent them at all. I fell for that twice before I realized how common that bullshit was.

Unless you are an independent contractor who knows or has worked with headhunters before to find your contract gigs just don't touch them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I used to like LinkedIn because a lot of the hiring (not in the tech industry by far) was tied to trust in people you had worked with on projects.

I do get some really random "headhunter" emails at times. For a long time my job title was steel detailer and is still listed on my resume. I got an email this last week wanting me to look at a job as a detailer for Frito Lay, stockboy for end displays lol.

I got a headhunter email several years ago and they really revealed too much about who they were working for. Only so many of those companies in the country and they revealed the exact town. I googled them and found out who the company was in seconds. I mailed a resume to the president of the company and was hired for the job outside San Antonio and avoided the headhunter all together.