IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I survived. I won't give numbers or anything but we lost people in my group. I've been told every department across the company lost people. And there's more next week...

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My company let go probably 60-70% of its employees back in April. We just brought back 12 off furlough.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is the layoff package sweet at least?

My friends at GM had a really lame one. Ford too. During the Rona everyon's salaries cut by 20% for a year (unless you're an executive-level employee of course).

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Is the layoff package sweet at least?

My friends at GM had a really lame one. Ford too. During the Rona everyon's salaries cut by 20% for a year (unless you're an executive-level employee of course).
Jesus guess I should be a bit thankful then? We've cut back on training for my organization, but we haven't done any cuts due to covid. We actually just got a new company holiday (globally) for "mental health" in october, so hell yeah.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
We seem to run lean enough that a two week vacation is the limit, and parental-leave (3mo) is near catastrophic.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
We're so lean right now that no more than 1 person can take a day off on second shift, across all product teams. Yet 29 people can all take the day off on first shift the Friday before Labor Day, because they're all redundant and fucking useless anyway.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Does your company offer pay differential?

IE, work from 5 - 1AM, we'll give you 10% more than we give our 9-5 employees?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Does your company offer pay differential?

IE, work from 5 - 1AM, we'll give you 10% more than we give our 9-5 employees?
Yeah it's 15% for second shift, 25% for third shift, and automatic time and a half on Sunday due to RI law, which makes my 12+ hour Sundays pretty fucking nice.

The shift differential also applies to any managers on shift nights and weekends. Those shift differentials are the only reason people stay here, the base pay for most people on this team is garbage.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Huh, that's amazing that nobody'll come on for that extra 15%. I can see why people wouldn't wanna come in and work 3rd shift. That shit sucks.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Huh, that's amazing that nobody'll come on for that extra 15%. I can see why people wouldn't wanna come in and work 3rd shift. That shit sucks.
Even back when overtime was a complete free-for-all, no one from first shift ever wants to cover for second shift, because all the business processes change for second and third shift. Instead of 1 job you do 6 jobs, cover multiple products instead of just 1, dispatch field resources, emergency parts logistics (upto and including rebuilding a customer's entire environment and putting it on a plane) all sorts of things that entire other departments would handle during the day all has to be done by the NOC engineers, and there's 1 service desk person on tops during second or third shift so all the rest of the calls roll over to the engineers too. Any calls the engineers don't answer rollover to me.

Basically a giant shitshow. People from first shift will try it once and never come back. Managers from first shift would try to cover and go home crying. That's how I got in the situation of working unlimited overtime in the first place.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
When I was at Raytheon my program was on unlimited overtime and like me and one other dude used it and that was it. I didn't understand, I made a fuck load of money