IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I've got multiple teams accounts that I never use. One for my company, one for the unit I work for and a big army one. I've never had trouble signing in to any of them though surprisingly. Download - WinAuth. I installed this on my work laptop since we can't have phones on site and it solved the MFA problem.

On the Jira thing, we were doing the watcher thing, but since our reporting sucks it was only giving credit to the assignee. I'm sure we could fix it but I don't care that much. Just need my beans counted.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It seems to be an issue when you need to sign in soon after your session expiring. If you rarely use them, I doubt you run into the problem.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Here's an interesting one from today. I put up a code review and get denied because a junior engineer is writing support for a new device and claims my code doesn't handle his new device without reworking it a little.

So let me get this straight. My code is getting denied because of local code, not even in the review stage, that I had absolutely zero way of knowing existed (outside of the story name, which doesn't indicate an issue)

Just kind of grinded my gears a bit. I think if I were him I would've just updated the code I have in review now. You know... Like normal devs do all the time.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I put up a code review and get denied because a junior engineer is writing support for a new device and claims my code doesn't handle his new device without reworking it a little.
If we weren't all locked up at home office you should've gone to his cubicle and urinated all around it to mark your territory.

Also, concurrent versioning systems exist, it's just that no one wants to merge collisions by hand. Or, more likely with a junior dev, he doesn't know how it works.

The senior devs should band together, and once he asks how merges work, just look puzzled and ask him if he doesn't know about the three seashells.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If we weren't all locked up at home office you should've gone to his cubicle and urinated all around it to mark your territory.

Also, concurrent versioning systems exist, it's just that no one wants to merge collisions by hand. Or, more likely with a junior dev, he doesn't know how it works.

The senior devs should band together, and once he asks how merges work, just look puzzled and ask him if he doesn't know about the three seashells.
He just has an air about him that his code is always the most important. Which is weird, or not weird, because he is a junior

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Teams really shouldn't be giving anyone any problems, I use it all day every day on multiple devices.

If you ever have problems just clear out the appdata folder for it.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Jira is more for development than IT.

You need some ITIL-centric ITSM platform. ServiceNOW with the incidents, tasks, changes and project modules are really all you need. ServiceNOW also has a pretty good IT asset management platform too, if you need that kind of thing.
That's what we use. Integrated with TFS, or Azure DevOps as it was renamed but effectively the same thing. Ties in automated approvals, automation, automated Task creation, and assignments, or flows into Story creation that folds into the development teams. The UI isn't great at displaying multiple tasks, but it gets the job done.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Speaking of software and faggotry: Microsoft Teams. Has anyone been able to solve the signin loop issue?

One of our user's was asking us about this not 5 minutes ago, because you know we're obviously a Help Desk and not a group that cover's a specific set of in-house applications (funny enough we do own an App that's almost identically spelled so that caused additional confusion).

Unrelated, Rustle ... In our 'Sprint' Meeting, we have a guy whose sole position is to record notes, a function our meeting application could handle. He's got the audacity to take up a portion of our meeting to tell us, application owners, that own a combination of systems for one of the most prolific organizations, that we need to send out better weekly notes, so he can record better weekly notes. His job, being completely dependent on us doing it for him, and the fact that he doesn't understand the rhetoric, needs us to do our part, so he can do his part, which is to change a percentage bar on a Word Document.

I don't get paid enough to deal with this stupid shit.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
One of our user's was asking us about this not 5 minutes ago, because you know we're obviously a Help Desk and not a group that cover's a specific set of in-house applications (funny enough we do own an App that's almost identically spelled so that caused additional confusion).

Unrelated, Rustle ... In our 'Sprint' Meeting, we have a guy whose sole position is to record notes, a function our meeting application could handle. He's got the audacity to take up a portion of our meeting to tell us, application owners, that own a combination of systems for one of the most prolific organizations, that we need to send out better weekly notes, so he can record better weekly notes. His job, being completely dependent on us doing it for him, and the fact that he doesn't understand the rhetoric, needs us to do our part, so he can do his part, which is to change a percentage bar on a Word Document.

I don't get paid enough to deal with this stupid shit.
Just so we can get another pointless e-mail in our inbox that goes straight into the trash. IT has so much stupid overhead like this just to give someone a job.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Learning to use Custom Metadata in Salesforce for some stuff. What's their sample use case? Pronouns and genders.

God.

• 3Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know a good job search platform that lets you filter by remote (without being tied to exact location) or advertise yourself remote?

Linkedin lets you search remote but only within up to 100 miles of an exact location which seems like a design flaw heh.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know a good job search platform that lets you filter by remote (without being tied to exact location) or advertise yourself remote?

Linkedin lets you search remote but only within up to 100 miles of an exact location which seems like a design flaw heh.
No, you can do remote anywhere if you use the remote option and location set to America.

I just did this. Check job hunting thread.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Anyone have a ticketing system they like? I have a small 5 person team that's functioned on Facebook messenger, excel, and literal sticky notes slapped on each others monitors. It mostly works, but things slip through the cracks, or someone is out sick for a few days and the rest of us didn't know he told X person he was going to be there to finish Y project at Z time. Basically, it's time we get a little more accountable (even if its just to ourselves, management hasn't ever asked for any kind of reports justifying our time or anything), and it would be nice to have a general gameplan for the day/week/month/year. I'm demoing ServiceNow, Freshservice, and Solarwinds in the next couple of weeks, but thought I would ask here for input.

Ideally, I would like people to be able to log in (most of our work is in the field, so Mobile is a must), see whatever tickets they have personally assigned - but also view and modify all tickets. I can think of other nice things - such as scheduling projects on a shared calendar, users being able to easily create tickets (ideally pulling info from AD so the users basically just get a box to type in and a button that says submit), push notifications to phones.

Things I don't give two fucks about - Any kind of self help/knowledge base functionality (our users WILL NOT ever use this), any kind of inventory system (not our job), or any kind of equipment purchasing shopping cart stuff. All 3 of those seem to be big selling points from providers we just don't need.

So yeah, any "This is great" or even "Do not use this!" comments would be appreciated.

As long as you don't need inventory management capability I'd recommend Zendesk. Really inexpensive, cloud hosted, supports SAML auth, and very customizable. Also has an phone app that is pretty fully functional. It's also one of the best ticketing system to simultaneously manage both internal and external tickets in my experience.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
If any of you homos have rolled out Chrome 87 and use GPO's, be aware that unless you've updated the GPO templated to the latest as well, many settings will no longer work, because of rAcISm. Seems Google doesn't use GUID's, and literal words, and they changed their language to be less offensive, so if you're running 87 with an older GPO template, the syntax doesn't match up. They claim the settings still work, but they don't.

1605810615909.png

• 2Tiresome
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users