IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Faggotry aside, string literals instead GUIDs is some straight out of community college programming. Good job Google.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Just curious, has anyone here messed around with SwiftUI?

I used to be able to do some basic programming, Turbo Pascal, C, Objective C for Apple, then I got sidetracked for a decade and the language changed so much, then I started playing around with Swift, and really thought it was enjoyable and modern and got rid of a lot of shit. Then SwiftUI came out, I never devoted any real time to it but I felt like it's just so random (whatever) .makeBig, .textBlack, it just seemed like it wasn't intuitive how to modify things. Just curious. I still read the SwiftUI reddit and see the crazy layouts people can pull off with minimal code.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I managed to impress the C-Suite team with my recent application. This is the first time I have got direct exposure to C-Suite leadership for anything. I created a scoring algorithm application that rates accounts for their susceptibility to be upsold on various products we sell. Taking into account 129 datapoints that exist for a given account. This is something that the marketing/operations people theorized and they had a mock they were using with an excel formula. Reading about it I guess it's a common thing sales/operations people do I was pretty unfamiliar with the concept.

When I was tasked with it I added in a ton more factors that I indicated could be used. It was kind of cool but I struggle to call it an algorithm as it's a pretty basic system. The scope of it is just large. It is bearing fruit for the sales and operations people now and they're upselling accounts they did not even think would be receptive to it. Which is pretty cool.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I managed to impress the C-Suite team with my recent application. This is the first time I have got direct exposure to C-Suite leadership for anything. I created a scoring algorithm application that rates accounts for their susceptibility to be upsold on various products we sell. Taking into account 129 datapoints that exist for a given account. This is something that the marketing/operations people theorized and they had a mock they were using with an excel formula. Reading about it I guess it's a common thing sales/operations people do I was pretty unfamiliar with the concept.

When I was tasked with it I added in a ton more factors that I indicated could be used. It was kind of cool but I struggle to call it an algorithm as it's a pretty basic system. The scope of it is just large. It is bearing fruit for the sales and operations people now and they're upselling accounts they did not even think would be receptive to it. Which is pretty cool.
Do you get a cut of any of that extra revenue?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
When we do promotions/raises again in a few months. I already got a promotion and another raise (that I demanded) on top of that in the past like 8 months.

Khane

Got something right about marriage

We're software developers. We make it possible for the sales team to be drooling retards and still "sell" the software. And they get all the money for our hard work.

Come on now. Everyone knows this.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Anyone do API development? Trying to decide when to use an API gateway vs API proxy. Conflicting articles.. Requirement is pretty simple, just need a common API to sit in front of multiple microservices. Will offload authentication to API, maybe not ideal versus passing an auth token around to each service but it works for the requirements.

Don't need load balancing or anything fancy. Just a facade for microservice calls.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I really hate the term "microservices."

Let's make APIs that do exactly one call to do one thing and only one thing and this is somehow an innovation. I don't get it.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>

Let's make APIs that do exactly one call to do one thing and only one thing and this is somehow an innovation. I don't get it.
Prob should grab a book on microservices and learn more.

As with anything programming you have people who see one solution as best over everything else.

Realistically microservices are awesome but not always the solution or necessary. I just happen to be making something that microservices work well for.

Khane

Got something right about marriage

This is just... how everything in the tech world is. It's like pretending Google Stadia and other video game streaming services are new when Sega Channel was a thing in 1994 or calling WiFi networks "mesh networks" and pretending it's new tech.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Anyone do API development? Trying to decide when to use an API gateway vs API proxy. Conflicting articles.. Requirement is pretty simple, just need a common API to sit in front of multiple microservices. Will offload authentication to API, maybe not ideal versus passing an auth token around to each service but it works for the requirements.

Don't need load balancing or anything fancy. Just a facade for microservice calls.
Aws server less api gateway on dotnet core

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
This is just... how everything in the tech world is. It's like pretending Google Stadia and other video game streaming services are new when Sega Channel was a thing in 1994 or calling WiFi networks "mesh networks" and pretending it's new tech.
I mean... true mesh network is really different that plain Wifi (with an extender), unless I'm misunderstanding what you are assuming wifi means?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What's the difference between the CEO and company President? We just hired a new President.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
What's the difference between the CEO and company President? We just hired a new President.
Depends on the company, but at Comcast and my current employer the presidents and VPs report to the CEO. We have various P/VP teams for various functional divisions of the company, and the guy at the top is CEO.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The one place I worked that was structured like that the CEO was top of the entire company, a president for each subsiderary with the VP's under the president. So each smaller company had a president. For some workers the difference won't be noticable it will be just be "boss", for those that have interaction with both it will of course.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Not an MBA type person, so feel free to have someone tell me the real way, but my understanding:
CEO runs the company, the decisions, the reporting, etc
Company President is the same as the president of the board of directors, and is the one running the board (that the CEO reports into).
There are presidents/vice presidents depending on how the business is structured, like individual business units or etc. There will be other 'C' level executives, but (in theory) they should be the top of the line for that specific area, which ultimately falls under the CEO.

Unless you are at a bank, because then every fucker is a VP or AVP of something.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Not an MBA type person, so feel free to have someone tell me the real way, but my understanding:
CEO runs the company, the decisions, the reporting, etc
Company President is the same as the president of the board of directors, and is the one running the board (that the CEO reports into).
There are presidents/vice presidents depending on how the business is structured, like individual business units or etc. There will be other 'C' level executives, but (in theory) they should be the top of the line for that specific area, which ultimately falls under the CEO.

Unless you are at a bank, because then every fucker is a VP or AVP of something.
In our company, as the CEO explained, he hired the President (first we've ever had) to do the day to day for the company. As he feels it is better for him to spend all of his time on Strategy which the day to day was getting in the way of. The President reports to the CEO here.

Not sure how normal this is.

We sell a SaaS product and we have some VPs too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>

I honestly don't know too much about this, but I think a Gateway is useful if you'll have multiple clients talking to your API. I think a proxy is for decoupling the client's API from your backend API.

I assume this is a cloud-based app you're developing?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

I honestly don't know too much about this, but I think a Gateway is useful if you'll have multiple clients talking to your API. I think a proxy is for decoupling the client's API from your backend API.

I assume this is a cloud-based app you're developing?
Both (should) decouple front and back, gateway will usually be heavier and more feature rich. Do you have one in mind? We use Apigee, but I'd look at Zuul and just configure the parts you'd want to use. I'm not a developer so I don't know which of them is easier to use/build for.