IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
How do you know they don't know shit until you know shit too?
Because when I show them the little bits of chicken shit I've been able to put together, they tell me it looks like more than they know how to do.

One coworker really did know python well and he's the one that got me going with using Survey123. He could actually code, but he left to go work for another company 2 years ago because he hated his project manager.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Most of what I want to do revolves around this - ArcGIS Pro Python reference—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation
If I really knew how to use this, I could automate even more of my workflow than what I've done so far. I want to aim for automating a lot of my work first because I know the whole Drone mapping process inside and out, so I'll just be focused on learning the programming side. After I get that dialed in, I want to tackle a lot of the tasks from the other groups at work. (For instance, input a project boundary and compile all of the records research that our surveyors pr traffic engineers normally spend a few hours doing on every new project). Then I'd like to work on Javascript and start deploying custom apps with python scripts running in the background to give people a little more manual control over what they're doing.

I've been obsessed with this for years at this point and my shitty programming skills is really the only thing in the way. Whatever the hell it takes to get there quickly, I'll consider. If a programming boot camp is the way to go, I know work would be willing to pay for it.
You’re problem is the idea of getting there quickly. Programming is something you continuously hammer away at. There’s so single point you can just jump to really quick. You just gotta put in the time actually doing it. Boot camps are a waste of money. $25 a month teamtreehouse.com

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Maybe you can give me some feedback… Have a web app similar to GIPHY. Users can log in and add gifs to their personal favorites list and do other things that are specific to their account. Ideally the web application will eventually have mobile apps associated with it.

Ive implemented basic user login using auth0. Im wondering if oauth 2 is the right tool to even use for my use case. Right now I’m working on loading user specific content after they log in (like loading their list of favorite gifs). Wondering if the best approach is to pull their user_id from auth0 and have it cross references in my own database with all user specific info (their favorite gifs, other user profile info, etc).

Should I continue down the oauth2 route as it may come in handy if I’m using multiple clients (web app, mobile app, etc) to access resources or is there a better solution?

Haven’t played with okta but I’ll check it out today.

This is a spring boot stack using thymeleaf for templating (probably will ditch thymeleaf eventually).
You got way further down the dev-stack than I'm familiar with, so I asked a friend.

His short answer was your method should work (userid on your side) you just need to make sure the userid isn't changed/set outside of login, and I lost the rest of his reply and then we started talking about thots.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
You got way further down the dev-stack than I'm familiar with, so I asked a friend.

His short answer was your method should work (userid on your side) you just need to make sure the userid isn't changed/set outside of login, and I lost the rest of his reply and then we started talking about thots.
Good enough response. Thanks!

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Chuck Severance has a "Python for Everybody" set of courses on Coursera that are really good. If you've already learned languages, it would probably be faster to just jump in and Stack Overflow your way through your first project but if you have less programming experience it's a great start.

I've been working remotely (Embedded Software) for a fairly stable startup for a little over a year. It's been okay but I am seeing lots of companies willing to pay high west coast salaries for remote workers regardless of location so I turned on my "open to work" flag on LinkedIn only to find it has been infested with spamming Indians. I knew Monster had gone to the shitter but this is annoying. I'd say about 1 in 10 seem to be a legit recruiter and/or work directly for the company.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Anybody know a good online source for finding consultants/contractors for infrastructure and systems' management work? I can find a *ton* of websites for Development work, but can't seem to find shit for actual system admins.

Basically I've got too many clients/environments to manage with my existing team and can't find jack shit locally in terms of a qualified full time hire, and in all honesty I need more key-man loss coverage for certain systems, and project/burstable style work that is better suited to a few external consultants on retainer + hourly. Physical location doesn't matter.

To give you an idea, I'm ideally looking for:

- An Avaya IP office admin, preferably with RHEL knowledge to manage the full stack
- An AWS/Azure admin, with a focus on VM management, networking, and security

Anybody with these specific skillsets for special projects:
- Network diagramming and documentation
- Information Security/BCP documentation
- Windows Defender ATP guru

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Starting a second consultant gig working for big tech as a contractor in addition to my other consulting job at a healthcare company and my primary salaried position at another smaller tech company.

All fully remote and I am getting $100 an hour at the healthcare one and $150 an hour at big tech. Doing basically the same shit (backend/data engineering) at all 3 places except at my primary full-time place it's only half my job and the other half is developing shit for Salesforce. Estimating I spend actually around 40 hours working for all of them combined. But bill for 20+ at the consulting places regardless.

I've only been consulting for 1.5 years. It really picks up steam quickly.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Starting a second consultant gig working for big tech as a contractor in addition to my other consulting job at a healthcare company and my primary salaried position at another smaller tech company.

All fully remote and I am getting $100 an hour at the healthcare one and $150 an hour at big tech. Doing basically the same shit (backend/data engineering) at all 3 places except at my primary full-time place it's only half my job and the other half is developing shit for Salesforce. Estimating I spend actually around 40 hours working for all of them combined. But bill for 20+ at the consulting places regardless.

I've only been consulting for 1.5 years. It really picks up steam quickly.
On one hand I'm glad you are doing good.

In another you are clearly defrauding these companies. Welcome to white collar crimes I guess.

• 1Salty

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
20+ was for both consulting places combine and around 20 at my salaried position. Not sure how it can be fraud as I have no set hours and have to defend the work I did each time. Didn't hear any complaints from them.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
20+ was for both consulting places combine and around 20 at my salaried position. Not sure how it can be fraud as I have no set hours and have to defend the work I did each time. Didn't hear any complaints from them.

I thought you meant 40 full time and 20 on each consultant(x2), meaning a total of 80 hours per week.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Even if I was doing 80 hours a week how is that illegal?
It is illegal for you to take the same hour and bill it two separate companies. If you are salaried, your expectation of work is exclusive with that company during the allocated time. They are paying you for that time, they are paying you benefits based on the expectation of work /time committed.

If you work half a day on the fulltime company, stop working on it, then fire up the consulting gig, and work on it, then you are defrauding the full time company.

No one is going to get you, because it is impossible to show you were doing it. But it is still not kosher to do it.

There is also a bunch of complications with copyright law and the code you are creating.

Who does the code you are creating belong to when you are full time, but during regular work hours, you are doing your gig job?

It is not illegal for you to have no sleep and work non stop, but that is not what you are describing here. You are describing packing 3 jobs into a regular work week schedule, while still having one full time job.

Last edited:
  • 2Moron
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anybody know a good online source for finding consultants/contractors for infrastructure and systems' management work? I can find a *ton* of websites for Development work, but can't seem to find shit for actual system admins.

Basically I've got too many clients/environments to manage with my existing team and can't find jack shit locally in terms of a qualified full time hire, and in all honesty I need more key-man loss coverage for certain systems, and project/burstable style work that is better suited to a few external consultants on retainer + hourly. Physical location doesn't matter.

To give you an idea, I'm ideally looking for:

- An Avaya IP office admin, preferably with RHEL knowledge to manage the full stack
- An AWS/Azure admin, with a focus on VM management, networking, and security

Anybody with these specific skillsets for special projects:
- Network diagramming and documentation
- Information Security/BCP documentation
- Windows Defender ATP guru
I take it it's an IP Office Server edition? Throw it away and migrate to Avaya Cloud Office if you're absolutely intent on being stuck with Avaya.

Are you looking for an individual or an MSP? Any decently qualified MSP will take over your Azure/network/security management. A few of them will even manage your telecom shit, though I can certainly recommend one NOT to go with.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
It is illegal for you to take the same hour and bill it two separate companies. If you are salaried, your expectation of work is exclusive with that company during the allocated time. They are paying you for that time, they are paying you benefits based on the expectation of work /time committed.

If you work half a day on the fulltime company, stop working on it, then fire up the consulting gig, and work on it, then you are defrauding the full time company.

No one is going to get you, because it is impossible to show you were doing it. But it is still not kosher to do it.

There is also a bunch of complications with copyright law and the code you are creating.

Who does the code you are creating belong to when you are full time, but during regular work hours, you are doing your gig job?

It is not illegal for you to have no sleep and work non stop, but that is not what you are describing here. You are describing packing 3 jobs into a regular work week schedule, while still having one full time job.
Lend "Law & Order" arios

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, bullshit.

I finish all of my responsibilities and tasks within the time I am given. I can do whatever the fuck I want with the remaining time.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, bullshit.

I finish all of my responsibilities and tasks within the time I am given. I can do whatever the fuck I want with the remaining time.
You're just giving Uncle Sam more opportunities to take his cut and ship it off to the Lebanese Tranny Lemonade Aids Aid Fund.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, bullshit.

I'm positive that is not how it works.

Let me ask you a question, the code you create during the second part of the day, who does it belong to?

Anyways, you are not alone, tons of people are doing that today.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm positive that is not how it works.

Let me ask you a question, the code you create during the second part of the day, who does it belong to?

Anyways, you are not alone, tons of people are doing that today.
I use a different PC for each job. Pretty easy.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I use a different PC for each job. Pretty easy.
It doesn't matter if you do it on your home PC, it is still your fulltime job's intellectual property, anything that you do programming wise during the time you are hired. I don't get why is this hard. They pay you for 35-40 hours a week, you collect a check that is directly tied to that.

I guess you are rationalizing this pretty hard.

• 1Moron