IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Imagine debating white collar "fraud" with a guy who's persona in ANOTHER PART OF THE FORUM is about abusing welfare.

Keeping track of you faggots and your forum personas is exhausting sometimes.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I take it it's an IP Office Server edition? Throw it away and migrate to Avaya Cloud Office if you're absolutely intent on being stuck with Avaya.

Are you looking for an individual or an MSP? Any decently qualified MSP will take over your Azure/network/security management. A few of them will even manage your telecom shit, though I can certainly recommend one NOT to go with.
Yeah it’s on prem, or more accurate Linux VM’s hosted in azure, and it’s a relatively new system. I pushed for Cloud but he came back saying the entry cost was over like 100k, which sounded like bullshit, but we’re only about 150 users.
And we are already a pseudo-msp. We manage multiple companies/tenants. Doesn’t mean I can’t hire an actual msp to provide key man coverage and use for special projects, I was just thinking along the lines of an independent consultant, but maybe those don’t exist anymore. So if you know of a decent Avaya msp, I’m all ears.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know a good resource for finding smaller tech companies? Not looking for the Amazon’s, googles, drop boxes etc but when I think of applying of course they are the first that come to mind and the easiest to find on LinkedIn etc

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, bullshit.

I finish all of my responsibilities and tasks within the time I am given. I can do whatever the fuck I want with the remaining time.

When I started my current job there was a guy on my team i'll just call "tony". Tony managed some networking equipment, maybe some IDS's I don't really know what Tony did. On meeting calls he would never talk and if asked anything directly he'd always ask for a repeat of the question before throwing out the laziest possible answer. Nobody really seemed to know what he did all day but it wasn't my place to say anything either.

Eventually my boss kept putting pressure on Tony, making everyone do tedious status reports all the time about what they're working on and what they've accomplished. Then it became harder to take days off because Tony kept taking them at the last minute, so rules had to keep changing.

Then one day Tony called the boss for something, and the boss realized that the caller ID wasn't Tony's normal work number. When googling the number, he found it had been published on another company's website. After some basic inquiries, Tony was discovered to have a second job and within a few days was fired or quit.

Poor Tony.

• 1Double Worf

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, bullshit.

I finish all of my responsibilities and tasks within the time I am given. I can do whatever the fuck I want with the remaining time.
he's just made he can't work at two taco bells at the same time.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No. I work for an MSP that has like 60% of the F500 as customers, not SMBs.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I know I've been trying to pick up another part time / full time job on the side, even if the work load drives me crazy for a few years.

But I'm up front about it, and I constantly get "they want this job to be the main focus" bull shit, and yet are so desperate for a DEV

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Doesn’t Mist Mist work for someone like this?
I migrate very large, globe-spanning call centers to the cloud. These aren't turnkey solutions like Ringcentral or InContact because they involve migrating customers' very complex pre-existing custom app-integrations and custom IVRs, so the customer needs a custom-built solution. It's for customers who want to keep all the functionality they had with their old call centers, but future proof their operations and the underlying technology, and move their infrastructure off-premises and have it managed by someone else.

There's also all sorts of new FCC compliance work that has to be done to modernize these systems, regarding preventing caller ID spoofing fraud/spammers and also e911. There's also a huge security component as most of these call centers and IVRs process credit card transactions, and another security aspect with regards to toll fraud being increasingly common with public cloud-facing SIP phone registration.

Shit has been busy as fuck during this pandemic.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
When I started my current job there was a guy on my team i'll just call "tony". Tony managed some networking equipment, maybe some IDS's I don't really know what Tony did. On meeting calls he would never talk and if asked anything directly he'd always ask for a repeat of the question before throwing out the laziest possible answer. Nobody really seemed to know what he did all day but it wasn't my place to say anything either.

Eventually my boss kept putting pressure on Tony, making everyone do tedious status reports all the time about what they're working on and what they've accomplished. Then it became harder to take days off because Tony kept taking them at the last minute, so rules had to keep changing.

Then one day Tony called the boss for something, and the boss realized that the caller ID wasn't Tony's normal work number. When googling the number, he found it had been published on another company's website. After some basic inquiries, Tony was discovered to have a second job and within a few days was fired or quit.

Poor Tony.
I worked at a job, and there was a single guy in the back who ran a Unix box. No one knew what he did or what that box did. I wouldn't doubt if he was a leftover from one of the many mergers and sat back there writing text adventure games while getting paid for doing who knows what.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I worked at a job, and there was a single guy in the back who ran a Unix box. No one knew what he did or what that box did. I wouldn't doubt if he was a leftover from one of the many mergers and sat back there writing text adventure games while getting paid for doing who knows what.
1633501366504.png

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Used to work for a defense contractor. Glad I left… Looks like they’ll be requiring vaccines. At least so far raytheon and L3 Harris have made that clear. Others to follow soon I’m sure.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here work in embedded? Specifically using RTOS’s? Been doing a lot of stuff with stm32 platform recently and starting to play around with FreeRTOS.

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Working my tail off to keep up with classes, enjoying it. A thing I've been afraid to ask: criminal record. Prof and guest speakers keep saying things like a dui at 18yo is enough to disqualify from jobs, that they're so tight if your date ranges aren't exactly right don't even put them on the resume.
I believe it, but surely that's just some jobs at highest level? aren't there a vast swathe of reasonable payout positions that don't care about that shit?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've been hiring in tech for 3 years now for engineering positions. DUIs are meaningless to tech jobs unless you run into some real assholes who are sticklers about it. Anything short of a felony is pretty much completely ignored. Tech companies have enough problems filling seats as is.