IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Aren't hash tables(hash maps or dictionaries in other languages) one of the fundamental data structures? I'm curious how you've avoided using them for so long.

I've spent most of my career in automotive, some medical/iot/automation. Python/Ruby for testing/data processing. A little C#/C++ here and there. 95%+ in C.

I've used Dictionaries in Python a few times so I am familiar with the concepts; it just seemed a bit much and a bit open-ended to implement a Hash object and its API in C in like 30 minutes with someone fucking yapping in your ear the whole time. Also weird to say no arrays.

I'm probably just getting old and cranky.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If you work in tech get ready for obese, angry, less than qualified females backed
by the tech lead types simping for them, and letting them behave like psychos. Expect softballs and learning opportunities for them while you do the heavy lifting, often disguised as things that will be routine or simple (or something comparable to other taskables, you're gonna get the hideous outlier they can't figure out that's been in the backlog). If you're reading this, you're probably a big EQ brain so you will figure it out burning the midnight oil and be desirable to other places hiring based on it.

They'll be sent to get paid certifications that they almost magically pass by 1 point or go to cushy conferences where they bring nothing of value back, but talk about their trip.

HR got covered.

Big red flags to look for are people who all worked for the same place previously, coming in and filling out a department somewhere else. Typically it's because they get caught out by one company, and promotion/salary frozen so they go infest another place. The action point here is try to research who is on the team and if they've all come from the same previous place.

The government job I did for 6 months was this to a T. All of them were from General Dynamics originally and on the same team and in the same positions.
By the time I got in, they had already pulled this kind of crap and scape goated/run off 5 developers (I found this out seeing the Jetbrains licenses and who used them/when and it was 5 within 1.5yrs) by the time I got there. I nailed the project I started for them then got the hell out. They wanted to dump all their support on me and make me the only guy working there on Friday while they all worked this 4 day week they managed to negotiate for themselves. Thank god I can pass certs and interview well, they looked the part and I smelled it comin from the getgo.
This has sort of always been the case in Tech, but its gotten a lot worse in the last five years or so for sure.

The place I am working now has exactly one woman on our entire tech team. She has decent people skills and seems to be a decently friendly person, but technically well she was hired as a hardware person (like image shit and ship it out for the most part). I have Project Management experience, SCRUM certs, a bunch of core tech certs, and even some management experience. Two other guys in our department have most of those same qualifications. Guess who is getting sent to train up and cert up with none of that background and not even an A+ Hardware cert? Guess who also gets tons of special work accommodations for being a single parent, despite two other dudes being single parents as well? I am sure that my boss is a single Indian guy (though pretty Americanized) is a total coincidence.

Now to be fair, backfilling what I do would be a fucking nightmare for them at the moment due to them not being willing to pay what people are worth. Luckily for them I am not greedy and just want a little extra time off and perm WAH. They keep trying to hem and haw on the WAH with "well we would prefer if you came in" and my answer is always the same on that; fuck you I will be hired by another place for more with WAH before the day is over if you force my hand. Meanwhile the woman in question just sort of started working from home all the time (her job specifically required her to be on site because hardware) without asking anyone for permission and not only did no one say shit, but they actually hired a green newb to do the grunt work her role was supposed to be doing. Nothing against her, but its obvious the pussy pass is out in force on this one.

And yeah, my boss came into the company as part of a crew of managers and leadership people who have migrated from two prior work sites. Sometimes that is good, because it avoids a lot of the bickering shit. But usually, it's just a bunch of people milking stock options until they get found out, like you said. Right now I am in their in crowd and they cannot function without me there, so its working out. Long term, we will see.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
A website after my own heart.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Interesting shakeup at the office yesterday.

Currently I am lead engineer on two teams as our organization matures. This will probably change eventually. My company is steamrolling ahead to IPO. So, on my original team we have a number of analysts and admins for various platforms (NetSuite, Salesforce, etc). Of the three business analysts one has been there for 2.5 years and really set the structure for dealing with each major business lifecycle. Typical small team where you wear a lot of hats. She was looking to get a promotion to Senior Business Analyst and was flat told no because she lacked extensive experience in any one lifecycle despite being tasked with making such a thing possible.

About 8 months ago we hired another business analyst to deal with the billing lifecycle. He's cool enough but he got promoted straight to team leader (skipping Senior) in how our org is structured. This signals to me that the team manager is likely moving on to Senior Manager shortly and the Director to an executive position or something like that.

This caused a lot of salt because it quite egregiously showed the buddy buddy promotion bullshit going on compared to something merit based. I have personally seen a certain person at this company go from team member to senior manager in under 1.5 years then split when the former VP of sales did and went along with him to his next company. As they do.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I’m at the stage of my life where I’m going to start yelling at people who wear their ignorance as a badge of honor. This isn’t fucking public highschool, you don’t get a medal for being a fucking retard. To think I directed this project with the specific intent to make it as easy for these fucking imbeciles to use as humanely possible, but they spout off, like their incompetence is an admirable trait, being computer illiterate, or just illiterate in general, being ignorant, being incompetent, is not something you should be ever want to flaunt—it should fucking embarrass you, why wasn’t your shit pushed in when you were young for being so fucking garbage

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I’m at the stage of my life where I’m going to start yelling at people who wear their ignorance as a badge of honor. This isn’t fucking public highschool, you don’t get a medal for being a fucking retard. To think I directed this project with the specific intent to make it as easy for these fucking imbeciles to use as humanely possible, but they spout off, like their incompetence is an admirable trait, being computer illiterate, or just illiterate in general, being ignorant, being incompetent, is not something you should be ever want to flaunt—it should fucking embarrass you, why wasn’t your shit pushed in when you were young for being so fucking garbage
Add it to you email signature.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Kicking today off with the big grouchy lady getting the code "she wrote" explained by a manlet simp.

"So what she did here and why she did it..."

Holy shit is this real life?

Beyond cringe.

This is for something I already did a proof of concept for which was basically doing it for her. She ignored it, had a meltdown had someone else copy my work for her and didn't bother to listen to any of it.

She's now laughing and bragging about how "pissed off" she was by it. I can fucking imagine myself trying to get away with pulling a stunt like this.

• 1Slow

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Kicking today off with the big grouchy lady getting the code "she wrote" explained by a manlet simp.

"So what she did here and why she did it..."

Holy shit is this real life?

Beyond cringe.
Did you ask him to stop mansplaning?

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Did you ask him to stop mansplaning?

I added some to it as this is going on.

The reason she didn't just copy mine is basically something like the whole mansplaining thing. But as I'm seeing, it's CERTAIN kinds of men ...'splaining' that's the problem.

I've made zero political comments to anyone at this work place. They can just tell youre not one of them the same as you can.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The breakdown of people at your average corporation:

20% of people who wear 6 hats and know how everything works. Half of these people are so critical that their loss sets departments back for years.
50% of people who can do their one job passably well but are completely ignorant of how anything outside of their day-to-day tasks actually works.
30% of people who are just totally fucking useless, it doesn't make any sense how they got hired, let alone how they weren't fired 10 weeks in when it was obvious that they aren't even capable of filling a chair.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
can you give more context to the big grouchy lady?

She's like 5'3, 180, blown hip, always mad and it's fine, pops off to managers about shit she made up but is never reeled in. Loads of her work done for her by (literally) giggling cucks.

I've seen it before. It's always the hoagie. I can't get away from this shit.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
The breakdown of people at your average corporation:

20% of people who wear 6 hats and know how everything works. Half of these people are so critical that their loss sets departments back for years.
50% of people who can do their one job passably well but are completely ignorant of how anything outside of their day-to-day tasks actually works.
30% of people who are just totally fucking useless, it doesn't make any sense how they got hired, let alone how they weren't fired 10 weeks in when it was obvious that they aren't even capable of filling a chair.
My experience has that 50 and 30 flipped in all but one of my jobs.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I have an idea for an app that I think would help out a very specific sector. I'd like to create it and just play around and re-learn programming. I am an Apple person, so I have xcode, I've done Objective C, and know the general aspect of Swift. I wanted to build this app to make myself learn SwiftUI, because it's a whole new way to do UI design/layout. .. but, the software it would compliment is almost always windows based, and only sometimes web based, and never mac based. So it seems kind of stupid to do it in swift, even though it's a great language and all that.

I know most web apps are written in javascript, css, and html. I looked into the basics of this, I don't know 1 line of javascript, and it all looks like a mess, managing so many files, stylesheets, etc. I have zero sense of design, and css is like a mystery to me. I also considered Electron for a cross platform app, but its basically those same three things + chromium.

How the fuck do you do a web app?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I have an idea for an app that I think would help out a very specific sector. I'd like to create it and just play around and re-learn programming. I am an Apple person, so I have xcode, I've done Objective C, and know the general aspect of Swift. I wanted to build this app to make myself learn SwiftUI, because it's a whole new way to do UI design/layout. .. but, the software it would compliment is almost always windows based, and only sometimes web based, and never mac based. So it seems kind of stupid to do it in swift, even though it's a great language and all that.

I know most web apps are written in javascript, css, and html. I looked into the basics of this, I don't know 1 line of javascript, and it all looks like a mess, managing so many files, stylesheets, etc. I have zero sense of design, and css is like a mystery to me. I also considered Electron for a cross platform app, but its basically those same three things + chromium.

Do an electron.js app. It let's you run js as a windows app.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>

Most people use a CSS framework like Bootstrap, Material, Bulma, etc. Unless you're an artist I highly doubt you'll want to be styling your own stuff anyway. I dunno, if you don't know any of this then you're in for a lot of learning.

Is Swift really all that great? I always heard it was kind of a pain in the ass to work with. Maybe I misunderstood.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Most people use a CSS framework like Bootstrap, Material, Bulma, etc. Unless you're an artist I highly doubt you'll want to be styling your own stuff anyway. I dunno, if you don't know any of this then you're in for a lot of learning.

Is Swift really all that great? I always heard it was kind of a pain in the ass to work with. Maybe I misunderstood.
I tried it, and I did not like it. Also it wasn't my job, it was a side thing I was not motivated to pick it up.
I also personally hate the apple ecosystem and how restrictive it is.