IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I forget when I read it but the estimate I recall is that for companies that shelled out for their own datacenters only 30-40% of the hardware was actually used in their operations.
Yeah, and if you're doing it right that metric is ok. Because you can't just optimize everything for utilization, you have to account for things like latency and redundancy. You design acceptable service for peak times, and when shit hits the fan.

I'll ELI5: If you have a query to a database that takes up to 1 second (say, to look something up), but then the data center has been "optimized" for utilization, and suddenly some queries takes 2 to 5 seconds, then you are basically making everyone's life miserable that has to work with it.

This has happened to the WoW servers: everything's fine when only a few players roam about, but with rare bosses suddenly loads of players converge into one areay, and the servers suddenly take a shit.

• 1Slow
Reactions: 1 user

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Regarding the cloud/local. We are very happy with our AWS cloud solution. We use extensively the AWS suite of products, and probably we pay around 100-200k a year for it.

But it is a lot cheaper than in housing all of that, plus we really cant decouple from the SNS/SQS/S3 as we use those as part of our application design.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Need some advice from the big brains here. I have been given an offer for a 100% WFH position that is a bit less than what I am making now. At first glance this is a no brainer, but there are a few issues.

1) During the interview the manager said they were planning to bring people back to the office and asked if that was a deal breaker. I said no, but didn't say that it would depend on it being a raise instead of a pay cut since that would be putting it in competition with my current job.
2) I needed to talk to the recruiters about this, and they are all H1B, so I am not sure they were able to make things clear to the hiring client. So I am trying to bypass them to talk to the client again to make sure we are on the same page, as this would likely be a contract to hire possibly.
3) They want to move hella fast, with a starting date of 8/8, so I need to get this all done within the next day or two.
4) Should I give my current boss a chance to make my current job 100% WFH or no? We just had a pretty big shake up in management, and I am getting the feeling the group is about to get the die from 1000 cuts treatment since all our SMEs have bailed already.
5) I am also in the middle of talking to a different company that would be a direct hire for a job that would be a pay raise. I know not to talk to anyone about that, since I would dump the 100% WFH job for it in a heartbeat, but I don't want to fuck the contract client like that on a professional level.

Basically my options are A) Do nothing and continue with my current job until the ship is sunk of job C comes through. B) Take job B which may turn shitty in a hurry if my contract company didn't smooth the waters properly.

I guess there's also C) Quit my current job and tell B no and work my mojo seriously instead of dicking around with recruiters. I work graves, and doing that would let me go back to a normal bankers' hours lifestyle to get some certs plowed through and start getting my resume out there. I have been getting a lot of interest from recruiters just by passively putting y current resume up on dice/linkedin.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Need some advice from the big brains here. I have been given an offer for a 100% WFH position that is a bit less than what I am making now. At first glance this is a no brainer, but there are a few issues.

1) During the interview the manager said they were planning to bring people back to the office and asked if that was a deal breaker. I said no, but didn't say that it would depend on it being a raise instead of a pay cut since that would be putting it in competition with my current job.
2) I needed to talk to the recruiters about this, and they are all H1B, so I am not sure they were able to make things clear to the hiring client. So I am trying to bypass them to talk to the client again to make sure we are on the same page, as this would likely be a contract to hire possibly.
3) They want to move hella fast, with a starting date of 8/8, so I need to get this all done within the next day or two.
4) Should I give my current boss a chance to make my current job 100% WFH or no? We just had a pretty big shake up in management, and I am getting the feeling the group is about to get the die from 1000 cuts treatment since all our SMEs have bailed already.
5) I am also in the middle of talking to a different company that would be a direct hire for a job that would be a pay raise. I know not to talk to anyone about that, since I would dump the 100% WFH job for it in a heartbeat, but I don't want to fuck the contract client like that on a professional level.

Basically my options are A) Do nothing and continue with my current job until the ship is sunk of job C comes through. B) Take job B which may turn shitty in a hurry if my contract company didn't smooth the waters properly.

I guess there's also C) Quit my current job and tell B no and work my mojo seriously instead of dicking around with recruiters. I work graves, and doing that would let me go back to a normal bankers' hours lifestyle to get some certs plowed through and start getting my resume out there. I have been getting a lot of interest from recruiters just by passively putting y current resume up on dice/linkedin.
This is telecom? Wanna message me directly with more specifics of the companies and numbers involved? It's not a big industry.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
This is so weird. Apparently, our client has mandated that our application be "MFE compliant". I've read a little about MFEs, but it's a relatively new concept and there's no real standards in place. Looking at how poorly constructed the current monolithic app is, I shudder to think what the result of refactoring this thing into an MFE will be.

But I find it odd that our client would insist on this. This is like me special ordering a vehicle from Ford and demanding they build it a certain way.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What's MFE?

Probably a requirement originating from a C-level officer and/or the government. Have fun effectively doing nothing at best. Our customers ask for useless ISO certifications quite frequently. Luckily, they're not nearly as onerous this MFE sounds.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
MFE stands for "micro front end". It's where the client UI is split into vertical slices of functionality. I think the idea behind it is that it allows for greater flexibility for development. One team could be working on feature A, another on feature B independently and are able to deploy those features without having to deploy the entire application.

My feeling, though, is that surely this isn't a new problem and has been solved by some other fashion prior to this MFE fad.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
MFE stands for "micro front end". It's where the client UI is split into vertical slices of functionality. I think the idea behind it is that it allows for greater flexibility for development. One team could be working on feature A, another on feature B independently and are able to deploy those features without having to deploy the entire application.

My feeling, though, is that surely this isn't a new problem and has been solved by some other fashion prior to this MFE fad.
We do this in our company. It is basically separate react apps that all share a common banner on the top for navigation. Or separate portions of your layout into independent apps, or separate react components.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
This is telecom? Wanna message me directly with more specifics of the companies and numbers involved? It's not a big industry.
Yes to telecomm. No real need to go into the companies. All are national. All are likely to be around until long after I am dead and gone.

I went with 2 and 4. I let my boss know what's going on and let him run it up the flagpole to see if more WFH at my current job would be a possibility. That was a quick and hard no. Not unexpected. I am also not the sort of person who keeps secrets for long, because it's tiresome. Same reason I don't lie. I am going to call the hiring manage at job B in about 15 minutes and will see if we are on the same wavelength. If so? Great. If not? I haven't resigned from my current job yet, and will just walk away from job B and wait to see how job C works out. I am leaning pretty hard towards job C at this point. I have been with my current company for 5 years now. They are extremely short sighted, and we have lost a lot of good people as a result. The current reorg has been a good reminder that complacency is a stupid way to live.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I cannot overstate what a value for QOL that Work From Home is, if you are good at it. My own gear, no driving, no packing a lunch, no distractions from retards in the building, and saving hours of my life each day. I do not think I could put a price on what they would have to pay me to go back. And they have zero leverage because a lot of places want to hire me and I am super productive as a WFH. I even dress up to be live on camera for meetings every day, which my boss does not even do. I would demand nothing less, because there is zero reason aside from appeasing some worthless midlevel manager.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vinen

God is dead
Regarding the cloud/local. We are very happy with our AWS cloud solution. We use extensively the AWS suite of products, and probably we pay around 100-200k a year for it.

But it is a lot cheaper than in housing all of that, plus we really cant decouple from the SNS/SQS/S3 as we use those as part of our application design.

This will fuck you down the line. Imagine getting vendor locked into AWS.

• 1Truth!

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
This will fuck you down the line. Imagine getting vendor locked into AWS.
It is not bad. We are already vendor locked with them.

The fear is overstated.

Everything has tradeoffs. The cost of doing a truly standalone system are way too much comparing it to doing it ourselves or paying licenses for our stuff.