IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
12 hour outage bridge, troubleshooting a customer's Java app that's been running unmaintained for 13 years, which is totally cool because the last time I wrote a single line of java was 2006.

Best part? Customer is a company that makes spam calls.

• 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Idiot friend of mine who started at General Motors the same day I did got offered a sweet ass voluntary termination severance. He's a senior mobile developer and probably one of the most employable tech dudes I know. Voluntary term is a 9 month salary lump cash payout and you retain benefits the entire way through. You even get a prorated bonus on top of that for the term.

He refuses to take it. I am like dude, go fuck off for a 2 month vacation then get another job in a month or less. What are you fucking doing?

Because he has hated working there for like the last 3 years.

• 1WTF
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Idiot friend of mine who started at General Motors the same day I did got offered a sweet ass voluntary termination severance. He's a senior mobile developer and probably one of the most employable tech dudes I know. Voluntary term is a 9 month salary lump cash payout and you retain benefits the entire way through. You even get a prorated bonus on top of that for the term.

He refuses to take it. I am like dude, go fuck off for a 2 month vacation then get another job in a month or less. What are you fucking doing?

Because he has hated working there for like the last 3 years.
Wild. I’d definitely take it and do exactly what you said. Tech is keeled over with layoffs but there’s still jobs to be had.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Yeah my company is sniffing around on this for the fourth time in a year. I told them the day they hired me there was zero fucking way I was going to drive 90 minutes across town to sit in a shitty cube with an eye bleeder monitor while users come fuck with me all day. I was going to turn down the gig entirely, before they buckled. And since I hurt my back, I am even less interested in this bullshit. I don't need the stress, so I am actively looking. Good fucking luck finding someone who does what I do fully unsupervised, let alone at the modest pay rate I get. My manager better be really ready to do his fucking job again leading the team, because I am already set to pull the trigger if he pushes this shit again.

And its entirely so he can feel like a big swinging dick when he comes into the office, not for any logistical reason. You want a physical presence at the office with you to gargle your balls, fine you have two year one techs and all the ass kissers you hired to keep stroking your ego who collectively get less done than I do. Leave me the fuck alone to do my job. Austin is doing it because its mostly Cali style millenial shitheels with no work ethic in the tech workforce there, who have to be watched like the children they are. Plus middle managers are getting really nervous and need RTO to obfuscate how worthless they are.

I had played this game of using recruiters I know he uses to send a message to him about this shit, but he won't fucking learn. Inertia and QoL are the only reasons I stay at this gig. I got five interview requests the day I changed my status on Linked In from white recruiters, not pajeets. Fuck it I will jump ship for more pay. Probably less work, too. Then my boss can explain how he ran out the 25+ year IT vet who was doing all the training, workflow, bridge calls, and mentoring because he wanted to see my fucking face daily to his CTO who is already pissed at his inability to keep the place staffed. I bet that convo will go well.

Place I worked at 3 jobs ago magically found the money to hire 5+ people and a CEO to run the business for the guy who owns it after I dropped out and the director followed me shortly after. Then he got sued for all kinds of labor stuff with his "100$ for an on call weekend" , "pizza parties to close tickets" etc stuff to the tune of 200 grand by several people.

Stepping over dropping dimes to drop dollars... something like that. These shit bags think they're so clever till reality hits them lmao.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wild. I’d definitely take it and do exactly what you said. Tech is keeled over with layoffs but there’s still jobs to be had.
Tech is only keeled over for the useless people. Anyone who puts actual experience on their resume instead of pronouns is having a field day in the job market right now. Those Amazon tech bubble web designers and DEI people? Yeah they are getting cut out en masse. People who know how to make shit work are having no problem finding work.

• 4Truth!
  • 1Like
  • 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 5 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Tech is only keeled over for the useless people. Anyone who puts actual experience on their resume instead of pronouns is having a field day in the job market right now. Those Amazon tech bubble web designers and DEI people? Yeah they are getting cut out en masse. People who know how to make shit work are having no problem finding work.
Useless DEI people, recruiters etc etc are a good portion of it but good engineers are also getting laid off to trim fat on products that aren’t really profitable (hello amazon Alexa). I don’t disagree with this. All I’m saying is there’s a lot of “fat trimming” going on right now in tech and it definitely does affect us software engineers.

• 1Solidarity

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I know you are LARPing as someone you are not (wrong forum for that shit btw), but if you were actually working in the tech field especially in FLA right now you would know this is patently false. The latest round of tech layoffs is just purging oxygen thieves or shit projects made by them (Meta being the big one) from the payrolls. That's mostly DEI and Millennials, but really anyone who does not add to the bottom line. The cultists may not know whats coming, but the sheckle counters do and are preparing for it.

• 7Like
  • 1Slow
Reactions: 7 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I know you are LARPing as someone you are not (wrong forum for that shit btw), but if you were actually working in the tech field especially in FLA right now you would know this is patently false. The latest round of tech layoffs is just purging oxygen thieves or shit projects made by them (Meta being the big one) from the payrolls. That's mostly DEI and Millennials, but really anyone who does not add to the bottom line. The cultists may not know whats coming, but the sheckle counters do and are preparing for it.
I literally work as a software engineer for big tech you inept IT retard. You literally just said what I said - DEI/recruiter/HR and trimming fat on unprofitable products/pet projects.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I got promoted and more bonuses. Folder is so pathetic I could see him being a worthless millennial being fired.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I literally work as a software engineer for big tech you inept IT retard. You literally just said what I said - DEI/recruiter/HR and trimming fat on unprofitable products/pet projects.
You said engineers are getting canned and cannot find work. I know for a fact that this is false, as would you if you were anything that you claimed to be. Plus you have even less credibility than you have chill, so I in no way ever believe your statements about yourself. You are like an over the top gayer version of Sadre Spinegnawer Sadre Spinegnawer who made plainly ridiculous claims about his life. You have your moments, but the Grownup Forum is not the place to peddle your routine.

• 1Like

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I got promoted and more bonuses. Folder is so pathetic I could see him being a worthless millennial being fired.
This is possible, given his obsession with materialism but with odd preferences. All I know is that he is never genuine.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
You said engineers are getting canned and cannot find work. I know for a fact that this is false, as would you if you were anything that you claimed to be. Plus you have even less credibility than you have chill, so I in no way ever believe your statements about yourself. You are like an over the top gayer version of Sadre Spinegnawer Sadre Spinegnawer who made plainly ridiculous claims about his life. You have your moments, but the Grownup Forum is not the place to peddle your routine.
Quote the part where I said they can’t find work.. There’s still a ton of software engineer jobs out there.

Go on, I’m waiting.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Nope. I’m a team for a brand new B2B product that’s actually super successful, so far. Only downside is we run a skeleton crew and product keeps doing the typical “give us more new features at lightning speed” bullshit.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Useless DEI people, recruiters etc etc are a good portion of it but good engineers are also getting laid off to trim fat on products that aren’t really profitable (hello amazon Alexa). I don’t disagree with this. All I’m saying is there’s a lot of “fat trimming” going on right now in tech and it definitely does affect us software engineers.
If you are laid off because you are skilled but on a project the company wants to cut you would still have no problem finding a job. What are you talking about?

Companies are pretty bad at this but it makes sense when your company is massive. Have a division that makes an unprofitable and expensive X? Just cut the whole division, go over who to pick up from the division later as cutting the division frees up cashflow immediately.

• 3Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
If you are laid off because you are skilled but on a project the company wants to cut you would still have no problem finding a job. What are you talking about?

Companies are pretty bad at this but it makes sense when your company is massive. Have a division that makes an unprofitable and expensive X? Just cut the whole division, go over who to pick up from the division later as cutting the division frees up cashflow immediately.
I don’t understand the question. I feel like you guys are trolling me. We are literally saying the same thing.

• 1Picard

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don’t understand the question. I feel like you guys are trolling me. We are literally saying the same thing.
Because its at best a minor inconvenience if you are actually decent at the job and want to work...

If I got fired today I'd take a vacation for a month then find another job in a month or less.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Because its at best a minor inconvenience if you are actually decent at the job and want to work...

If I got fired today I'd take a vacation for a month then find another job in a month or less.
I agree with you. What are we arguing about again?

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You claimed the tech field was having issues for software engineers. We pointed out how retarded that was and now you are doing a Wormie style pivot and claiming thats not what you said at all. Mainly for me, though, I just don't want your false persona trolling in the Grownup Forum area. You have literally 95 percent of the site where you can LARP to your heart's content. This area is for actual serious discussions without that kind of bullshit.

• 2Like
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
You claimed the tech field was having issues for software engineers. We pointed out how retarded that was and now you are doing a Wormie style pivot and claiming thats not what you said at all. Mainly for me, though, I just don't want your false persona trolling in the Grownup Forum area. You have literally 95 percent of the site where you can LARP to your heart's content. This area is for actual serious discussions without that kind of bullshit.
Why won’t you quote what I said? Quote what I said.

I said tech layoffs are affecting engineers. Engineers are being laid off, thus this affects them. Now to what extent it affects them outside that I never made any claim to. I simply stated an observation which unless you’ve had your head in the sand the past 1.5 years, you would know..

I even said there’s still jobs to be had for software engineers which somehow this entire thing has evolved into a straw man that I said the opposite and made some other claims.

No idea where your straw man trolling comes from. Quote what I said and break it down for me.

Get fucked. Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule can look me up on LinkedIn and verify. Actually there exists someone posting in this thread who already has the ability to verify that I do work for big tech.

• 1Picard