IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I'd be more interested in hiring someone based off their capacity to learn than their pre-existing knowledge unless it is contracting work
My opinion doesn't count for much (yet) but this would be my approach. Actual knowledge is useful but the ability to work on a problem you know nothing about and find a solution for is a skill that is sorely undervalued in my opinion. Granted, out and out lying about capabilities is a no-no, but I'd still give them credit for finding a solution. That's dedication a good manager could put to use.

That said, it's useless for a short term need, i.e. contracts, as you said. That's trash can material.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
On my old job, we asked 3 questions.
1) please reverse a string.
2) if a tv model can be purchased by several customers, and a customer can purchase several tvs; What type of relationship is this, and what is the minimal number of tables to support it.
3) provided a simple table of name and salary, i want a sql query that gives you the second highest salary on the company.

Number 3 we didn't held against the candidate, number 1 and 2, yes. If he didn't answer 1 and 2 we had no need for them.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You had no need for people who never learned how to manually reverse a string? Or people who didn't know SQL's REVERSE() function off the top of their head? Both cases are stupid criteria for dismissing a candidate.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We typically only dismiss people that are lacking in serious skills or can't really expand on what they did at X or Y job that they were at for a couple years.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You had no need for people who never learned how to manually reverse a string? Or people who didn't know SQL's REVERSE() function off the top of their head? Both cases are stupid criteria for dismissing a candidate.
He works for the industry leader in web-scale string reversal

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Only if you're a rockstar dev working for a silicon valley startup synergizing with scrum development models writing artesian code on your macbook in a starbucks

Tenks

What's artesian code?
ar?te?sian
?r'teZH?n/Submit
adjective
relating to or denoting a well bored perpendicularly into water-bearing strata lying at an angle, so that natural pressure produces a constant supply of water with little or no pumping.

Everyone knows this shit Deathwing. Consider your resume rejected.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Oh, a natural code pump, I knew that. The real problem is what do you do when your syntactical aquifer runs dry?

Tenks

You need to get a better keyboard installed if it ever thinks you want to use the word artesian

Aorin

Molten Core Raider
So I am a retard who hasn't changed jobs in 10 years. I have been working on a product that was originally written in VB6 and classic asp/asp.net. About 7 years ago or so we created a new version of the product using C#, WCF, WPF,WWF etc. I am getting more and more depressed working at this job. It is easy and I get paid well, but it is mind numbingly boring.

So my question is what technologies do you see as worthwhile to learn for now and in the future? I have a company provided pluralsight account that I play around with but there are so many different frameworks/languages/"dumb ass named" things these days that it is hard to know where to begin.

I love Visual Studio and compiled languages/forced case/intellisense..but I guess I have to go hipster and code in fucking TextEdit on my Mac for some of this shit(I realize there are tools and editors...but they seem to really blow...)?

I see tons of job postings for web related shit but they are all using a mish-mash of different frameworks..

Yes I am stupid. I should have made a switch many years ago...but I was able to get huge pay raises staying put...

Enlighten me please!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Big data, cloud computing, open compute, converged infrastructure. Just throwing out as many tech buzzwords as I can

WhatsAmmataU_sl

shitlord
So I am a retard who hasn't changed jobs in 10 years. I have been working on a product that was originally written in VB6 and classic asp/asp.net. About 7 years ago or so we created a new version of the product using C#, WCF, WPF,WWF etc. I am getting more and more depressed working at this job. It is easy and I get paid well, but it is mind numbingly boring.

So my question is what technologies do you see as worthwhile to learn for now and in the future? I have a company provided pluralsight account that I play around with but there are so many different frameworks/languages/"dumb ass named" things these days that it is hard to know where to begin.

I love Visual Studio and compiled languages/forced case/intellisense..but I guess I have to go hipster and code in fucking TextEdit on my Mac for some of this shit(I realize there are tools and editors...but they seem to really blow...)?

I see tons of job postings for web related shit but they are all using a mish-mash of different frameworks..

Yes I am stupid. I should have made a switch many years ago...but I was able to get huge pay raises staying put...

Enlighten me please!
On a job hunt myself in the general computer-sciencey area . I see a LOT of ASP.NET, so that would definitely be right up your wheel house. Don't let the 20 languages/frameworks/databases listed as requirements for these jobs keep you from applying. No one knows all of that shit.

If you know C# and visual studio then you are really well positioned, in my humble opinion.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
If you don't know how to reverse a string, by using .Reverse() or a backward loop, I don't want you near anyone's code. It is a trivial question. I might as well asked him how to do a for loop.

I dont know if you guys are joking, but you have to establish some base level on a technical question, and reversing a string is as trivial as it can be. Any programmer should be able to do it, if you cant do it, you should feel bad.

Aorin. C# and sql. Instant hire.

Wait... can you reverse a string?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I guess I'd be a little off-put if I had several years in the industry and walked in and the guy said "ok, reverse this string"

I don't know how prevalent doing that is in your field, but I'd probably thing "I woke up for this?"

Probably is a question I'd ask a potential intern.