IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So funny story today... we had our Global Town Hall at GM with the CEO Mary Barra present and everything.

At the Q&A portion people asked some really really dumb questions. But the crown jewel was some guy getting up in front of GM and all of our employees/contractors/etc and getting the microphone to ask a question and instead tells her that he thinks her leather jacket is ugly and that wearing that in Texas is a lulzy dumb idea.

That dude is going to have a bad time. i was pretty shocked he said that lol. I mean she took it well in the public setting there but his managers are going to take him aside immediately. So cringey and dumb.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I got informed yesterday I'm being moved off onto a very high priority task, pretty important shit I guess. That leaves my boss with one programmer on his program - someone hired 3 weeks ago.

Company is so goddamn weird sometimes.

Siliconemelons

Lol Microsoft is always fun and full of wasted time

And yeah did u have O365 down and up and down all day?

Best reply "why can't we just use OpenOffice" like wtf

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Lol Microsoft is always fun and full of wasted time

And yeah did u have O365 down and up and down all day?

Best reply "why can't we just use OpenOffice" like wtf
Outlook was/is the only thing affected for us - the webapp works fine though, mobile app too.

Siliconemelons

Yeah we are o365 for SharePoint, onedrive and email - so we had all sorts of fun... mostly around SharePoint files being inaccessible for presentations etc.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I got informed yesterday I'm being moved off onto a very high priority task, pretty important shit I guess. That leaves my boss with one programmer on his program - someone hired 3 weeks ago.

Company is so goddamn weird sometimes.
It means they need to fill a spot on another contract so they keep getting money for it or so their CPARS isn't bad on it for not filling spots. Client is probably insufferable. Congrats

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Okay, I need guidance.
I've been graduated from that coding bootcamp for 9 months.
Still haven't been able to land a full time job doing this.

I have 4 freelancer site revitalization gigs currently, but they are just attempts to build some cred.

Since I last posted I have taught myself a tiny bit of vue.js, node.js, mariadb, mongodb, Drupal 8, jumped from windows to linux, learned css grid front to back, taught myself how to use GIMP properly.

I've more or less forgotten C# already, tho I am sure I could pick it back up if needed.
I haven't touched python at all.
Nor php.

Any suggestions on what to learn next that will make me more appealing to a potential employer given my, more or less, super noobie status?

It's a little stressful paying all that money, going through all of that course, then having to go back to 12hours a day, 6 days a week of heavy labor just to keep the roof over my head.

And yes, I'm aware I could have done it for free online.

Help?

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Yikes. Pick something and stick to it. If front end learn js in and out and pick either react or vue. If backend learn one backend language and one db query language (probably sql...). Make things, put them on github, make a portfolio site. You're all over the place. Especially fuck drupal lol..

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Finish up those freelance gigs and then focus on looking for jobs that involve those front end frameworks/languages. I mean assuming that is what you want to do. Check with your local government institutions (if you live in a decent sized city or close to the capital) as they usually have a hard time retaining developers and will often hire as long as you show potential to learn.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
MusicForFish MusicForFish continue learning, make a portfolio on github so you can show what you know.

Remember that exersice me and powa did with showing data? Try duplicating on the technology of your choice. Continue sending resumes for entry level positions on the tech of your choice.

Regarding the outage, all our code was unreachable all day

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Need a customer table
A backup alert table
A monitor alert table

Thats all I really need right now

Customer Table needs to have name and ID
Backup Alert Needs to have a tie to customer table, needs to have a datetime field, and a status (which will be one of 3; Fail, Success, In Progress)
Monitor Alert needs to have tie to customer table, Alert Type, Alert Description, Machine Name, Datetime, and a T/F for Resolved

I will be adding Anti-Virus alerts later when our email-parser guy figures out how to tie our anti-virus alerts to a client (too generic of emails currently)

Emails will be parsed, enter data into these fields and shit (being done by a guy on my team who has experience with that SPECIFIC item). Web app needs to query database and grab, color code, and re-arrange the results of the queries.

Am I doing it right?

This is for the basic internal dashboard I am building right now. I eventually want to expand it but this is what needs to be done ASAP according to my VP.
MusicForFish MusicForFish
go to this post and scroll down for the next 4 pages.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So uh, who's in Austin and what's the cost of living like down there? Single person, no cats.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
MusicForFish MusicForFish
go to this post and scroll down for the next 4 pages.
SHIT WAS USEFUL!

THANKS LENDARIOS. You should see where its come now!

Conditional showing, conditional ordering, self-creation of clients, self clearing alerts, querying the monitored devices for serial numbers and querying dell for warranty info. Tie into our ticketing system API to auto-create tickets for the need for warranty renewals and alerts not autocleared within an hour, one button report building, and conditional audio cues for active alerts

MAN you got me going

Also I am glad it could help people.

That said;

I'm getting real tired of some of the bullshit politics that I've become aware of since my meteoric rise into the ranks of management at this company.

I also find I dont like management. I am too hands on, to be able to be hands off.

So I'm looking for jobs...

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Question for the JavaScript wizards in here, I know we have a least a couple. We're transitioning a part of our product from Java to JavaScript(TypeScript, specifically) and we'd like some end-to-end testing. The developers are going to handle writing unit tests, while I, the QA manager, has been tasked with coming up with the end-to-end part.

I'm not well versed in JavaScript but I do know a decent bit about browser testing. Most of my experience has been with Selenium and that doesn't seem to be an option here. A fair portion of the TypeScript is going to draw on a few <canvas> tags and that's it. I don't know how the hell Selenium is going to tell when it's clicked on something since the <canvas> tags won't be changing. Basically, Selenium won't have any feedback.

This seems to rule Protractor and possibly Karma, but I'm not sure on the latter. Anyone have some suggestions for testing JavaScript code in a browser environment?