IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I quit emc almost immediately after the Dell acquisition was announced. Good thing too because a lot of people with more experience than me were laid off

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I quit emc almost immediately after the Dell acquisition was announced. Good thing too because a lot of people with more experience than me were laid off
You had a new gig lined up though, right? Or were you looking for a bit after?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't leave without an offer in hand. If you mean when you should start looking, I pretty much continually watch what is out there. I'll apply to things here and there that sound really awesome just to see what comes of it even though I am happy with where I am for the moment. In January when the my contract is rebid I may be looking heavily if the company changes and they try to lowball us. Luckily I have always been in the position where I haven't NEEDED a job and it is definitely easier to negotiate for everything what you want when you have leverage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I apply and interview even when I'm happy with where I am, because I want to both practice interviewing (as it's a skill) and evaluate what my worth is in the job market.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Great day at work today, making significant progress on this project and that ex-GE guy offered to take me under his wing in terms of learning design. It's super hard to impress this guy, the owner saw me talking to him in the hallway and did a double take.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks man, the tips super paid off and I have legit street cred at the company now. If you're ever in town, I'm serious, beer AND a steak dinner - no blowjob because I'm not gay or a cuck.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Sounds good, feel free to hit me if you hit a roadblock with anything. I have been doing sales force and apex, so anything different is welcomed.
Ill take a certification on that soon, for shits and giggles.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Any of you tried vs code? I'm at this long-time-coming breaking point where I just can't use my old tools anymore.

They pulled some kind of apple style forced obsolescence with .net > 4.5 that refuses to work with visual studio 2010 just to be dicks. 2010 was snappy (though not as snappy as 2008), but every version gets steadily worse. More bloated and sluggish and post 13 the editor has enraging autoformatting features that are impossible to turn off.

The breaking point was finding a nuget package that does what I was halfway into doing myself. So here I am hand editing csproj files like a savage. This really doesn't feel like progress, but at least it isn't screwing around with my parenthesis and braces.

I had to just gank all platform related stuff from the csproj (all I ever use is x64 anyway), but it still complains about unsafe code.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
I switched from Sublime to VSCode a year or two ago. Its fantastic. I just to javascript though so ymmv. It just does everything right and with a few very well made extensions its great to work with.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Visual Studio 2017 is amazing. VS code is close second, i use both all day. VS when doing C#, Vs-code when doing salesforce/react.

Also they always version lock asp.net with Visual Studio.

Upgrade to 2017, you wont regret it.

PS:Edited to correct version.

Last edited:

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah pycharm was just too damn bulky. I mostly use notebooks but when I need to do something other than scripts i was using sublime. Tried VS Code about a month ago and I see no reason to go back.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
That and start times would trigger me constantly. Its light weight text editors for life now.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Any of you tried vs code? I'm at this long-time-coming breaking point where I just can't use my old tools anymore.

They pulled some kind of apple style forced obsolescence with .net > 4.5 that refuses to work with visual studio 2010 just to be dicks. 2010 was snappy (though not as snappy as 2008), but every version gets steadily worse. More bloated and sluggish and post 13 the editor has enraging autoformatting features that are impossible to turn off.

The breaking point was finding a nuget package that does what I was halfway into doing myself. So here I am hand editing csproj files like a savage. This really doesn't feel like progress, but at least it isn't screwing around with my parenthesis and braces.

I had to just gank all platform related stuff from the csproj (all I ever use is x64 anyway), but it still complains about unsafe code.
I know what you mean...Visual Studio has become a bloated pig. I recently switched to JetBrain's Rider which is an excellent alternative to Visual Studio and definitely feels snappier (and, ironically, is written in Java I believe).

I've heard of people using VS Code for .NET Core projects but not sure about the legacy .NET Frameworks (i.e. 4.8 and earlier).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Visual Studio 2018 is amazing. VS code is close second, i use both all day. VS when doing C#, Vs-code when doing salesforce/react.

Also they always version lock asp.net with Visual Studio.

Upgrade to 2018, you wont regret it.

Do you use ReSharper? Because if you do not. I highly recommend it. If you don't have to do something lame like convince your company why you need it like I did.