IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Right, for me it was looking like an idiot asking what I deemed stupid questions. For him it's wasting apparently even 1 minute of time.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'm going to try convincing my company to hire a full time ReactNative dev, i cant stand this shit anymore. If i'm stuck with it i'm going to end up quitting this job

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
So tired of traveling. San Fransisco last week... Cork Ireland this week. Least I get a few week cooldown before I'm off to another location. Had to give an hour presentation today to some customers and DELL.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have never talked to HR so much in my life. I had to contact them again today because my time off accruals showed zero. Again a remnant of my emc address. They fixed that then single sign on didn't work. They had to contact adp. That's fixed, but now my accruals are wrong (shows me with the wrong start date). Said check again next week. I don't know if these people are incompetent or just underpaid..

On the plus side I got a major story working finally. It definitely makes me realize how far I've come. Something of this magnitude would've taken software engineer 1 me a long time.

Other junior engineer on our team is majorly autistic or asperbergers for sure. Very difficult to talk to, he talks over everyone if he has something to say, won't look you in the eye, very awkward the way he talks, loud and no social cues. Nice guy just hard to talk to. Pretty smart though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I need a new chair for my home office. I write code throughout most of the day. I use the same desk for gaming. Currently have a shitty leather chair that my wife bought for me years ago and I have always hated it.

I've used Aeron and Aeron clones and like them but I'm also looking at Killabee gamers chairs. The Kilabees look pretty comfy and I see a lot of streamers using them but I am wondering if anyone can comment on the advantages of one or the other.
Herman Miller embody will change your life, for 1.4k.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So my buddy is an embedded engineer at a cutting edge autonomous aero company. Dude has a solid track record as far as employers...

Anyways, he applied for a embedded job on that new Amazon satellite thing. Amz of course is hush hush about it but he interviewed with the head guy of software who's putting the whole team together, a former SpaceX guy apparently. Dude really liked my friend. They tried to get him on site for an interview but oops, they forgot he needed to do their fucking automated code challenge!

Awesome, so embedded engineer who works in C has to do a fucking code challenge with graphs, and all sorts of CS algorithms.

Seriously what the fuck tech? He also has an interview with Google in 2 weeks. If you guys saw what Google expects him to know you'd shit your pants... Pretty much expect you to know everything an embedded engineer would know and a software engineer - so like they expect him to know algorithms he'll never use.. As someone who has devoted to studying full time for 3 months for these interviews it looked fucking impossible to me.

Daily rant. I just think this is ridiculous. I've seen this guy passed up on my big names like blue horizon, Tesla, Uber just because of bullshit coding interviews. Sigh

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
So my buddy is an embedded engineer at a cutting edge autonomous aero company. Dude has a solid track record as far as employers...

Anyways, he applied for a embedded job on that new Amazon satellite thing. Amz of course is hush hush about it but he interviewed with the head guy of software who's putting the whole team together, a former SpaceX guy apparently. Dude really liked my friend. They tried to get him on site for an interview but oops, they forgot he needed to do their fucking automated code challenge!

Awesome, so embedded engineer who works in C has to do a fucking code challenge with graphs, and all sorts of CS algorithms.

Seriously what the fuck tech? He also has an interview with Google in 2 weeks. If you guys saw what Google expects him to know you'd shit your pants... Pretty much expect you to know everything an embedded engineer would know and a software engineer - so like they expect him to know algorithms he'll never use.. As someone who has devoted to studying full time for 3 months for these interviews it looked fucking impossible to me.

Daily rant. I just think this is ridiculous. I've seen this guy passed up on my big names like blue horizon, Tesla, Uber just because of bullshit coding interviews. Sigh
Those companies do hire people though so there must be programmers that can do both the algorithm challenges and their jobs. So why would a company, with such hiring expectations, hire anyone else?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Those companies do hire people though so there must be programmers that can do both the algorithm challenges and their jobs. So why would a company, with such hiring expectations, hire anyone else?
I guess allegedly they do. I'd love to meet one of their embedded engineers..

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I guess allegedly they do. I'd love to meet one of their embedded engineers..
Google around and find the graduating classes from Cmu, Stanford, mit and Berkeley and email the graduates.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My friend who worked on BIOS with me here got a job at google. He said he was interviewing for over 3 months. I never really asked what kind of questions they were, but I mean Google is pretty well known for their interview standards.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
UEFI BIOS for Intel chips. He worked here with me awhile back. Not sure what he went on to do at Google though.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The automated coding interviews I've gotten pretty good at. A lot of companies just use private Hackerrank stuff. The issue I DO have with them is that you often get 90 minutes (or even as low as 45 minutes) to do them and you get like 2-4 problems to code out. That by itself sucks but made even worse is the absolutely retarded unit testing system in Hackerrank and similar garbage that does not show you what the unit tests are testing for at all.

So, you're in a rush torque out some Java to do whatever and you're getting consistent output correctly. Maybe you test a few edge cases you can think of but you also have a ticking clock so you power on to the next one the moment you have it right.

But the absolute worst part is that its never the hiring team looking at your shit. It's some HR/Talent Acquisition fucker who just looks at it and sees, "this guy got it 72% right via this automated grading scale thing, dumpster his resume."

Even whiteboarding is way better than that shit because you usually have to whiteboard with some engineers. Not some dude with the teacher's edition/solution in his lap saying, "uhhh yeah sure looks decent I guess."

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
The automated coding interviews I've gotten pretty good at. A lot of companies just use private Hackerrank stuff. The issue I DO have with them is that you often get 90 minutes (or even as low as 45 minutes) to do them and you get like 2-4 problems to code out. That by itself sucks but made even worse is the absolutely retarded unit testing system in Hackerrank and similar garbage that does not show you what the unit tests are testing for at all.

So, you're in a rush torque out some Java to do whatever and you're getting consistent output correctly. Maybe you test a few edge cases you can think of but you also have a ticking clock so you power on to the next one the moment you have it right.

But the absolute worst part is that its never the hiring team looking at your shit. It's some HR/Talent Acquisition fucker who just looks at it and sees, "this guy got it 72% right via this automated grading scale thing, dumpster his resume."

Even whiteboarding is way better than that shit because you usually have to whiteboard with some engineers. Not some dude with the teacher's edition/solution in his lap saying, "uhhh yeah sure looks decent I guess."
Ya, I'd feel better about it if I had engineers looking over my code but you're right. It's usually some HR person.. I'd love the opportunity to whiteboard a problem in front of actual engineers. TJT TJT did you spend a shit ton of time studying for coding interviews?

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
My friend who worked on BIOS with me here got a job at google. He said he was interviewing for over 3 months. I never really asked what kind of questions they were, but I mean Google is pretty well known for their interview standards.

In the last month I've gone through onsite interviews with Microsoft,Amazon and Google. They all had plenty of Leetcode questions but I thought Amazon had the best balance with coding and their leadership principle questions for each interview. Sometimes I wonder about the system design questions asked though... Last week Amazon releases a new enhancement to Prime and one of my design questions was how to improve the exact system they are now just starting to implement. The MS/Google system design questions weren't like that but it's definitely not a bad way to pick up some ideas while interviewing people even when the true intent is still to hire people.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
For the 4 of us that cared about this. Judge Koh just fucking REKT Qualcom.

The shit that qualcom was doing was fucked up.
Good news.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just wrote a huge feature. Bigger than I've seen these guys deliver since being here. My boss reviewed it and said "I hope the bios menu pages you referenced dont have hidden bugs, but this looks good". I mean isn't that the point of a code review.... Kind of weird phrasing to me.

basically a feature existed in bios and I made an EFI utility that did the same and more but I had to borrow a bit from Intel's code. Should mention that I debug printed tons of variables and structs as I developed in. You know . Like a competent dev

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Dude your boss just used typical CYA on your ass. He approved it and all but any hidden bugs are on you. I hate that shit.

• 1Like