IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Just 13 minutes ago, one(of 3) of our git pipeline machines failed due to 3 damaged disks from the AC going out. There were people here and still damage was not prevented. I really don't see why they wouldn't use an automated shutdown routine once temperature passes a certain point.

My performance review is today. I'm looking for a new job if I don't get an "Excellent" for putting up with this bullshit.

Kiki

Log Wizard
I had a guy build a super micro server for storage once. He put in like 2TB x 12 disks at the time. The CPU fan exploded somehow (no idea just pieces of plastic everywhere). The server didn't shutdown, fried half the disks, and all the data was lost. Couldn't trust the rest of the drives at that point so had to replace them all. I'm surprised the thing didn't light on fire, maybe with more load it would have.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Damnit, got a 3.5/5 when I wanted a 4. My boss says he rarely gives out 4s. Also said my predecessor, who'd worked this job for 8 years and at least 50h/week usually got a 3. It's probably 1% difference on my yearly bonus and raise, maybe it's not worth the monumental effort? And maybe I should find a new job anyway.

Just for reference, 3 is "you're doing what we expect you to" and 4 is "above and beyond".

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
In defense land we always get 3/5 too. There is no .5's either. I was one of like 10 people out of our 80ish person contract to get a 4 last year and got the exact same 3% to my salary as I did with a 3, but got a whole $1000 bucks more as a cash bonus. I mean, it's better than nothing, but they definitely don't incentivize busting your ass - but I guess that's no secret either.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Damnit, got a 3.5/5 when I wanted a 4. My boss says he rarely gives out 4s. Also said my predecessor, who'd worked this job for 8 years and at least 50h/week usually got a 3. It's probably 1% difference on my yearly bonus and raise, maybe it's not worth the monumental effort? And maybe I should find a new job anyway.

Just for reference, 3 is "you're doing what we expect you to" and 4 is "above and beyond".
Get 20% finding a new job

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Bet they offer you a lot more than 1% when you put in your 2 weeks.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I've been at this place a bit over 5 years, but I was promoted ~2 years into a managerial position. I feel like I still have a lot to learn in that respect. But, I think it's time to start casually looking.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Just 13 minutes ago, one(of 3) of our git pipeline machines failed due to 3 damaged disks from the AC going out. There were people here and still damage was not prevented. I really don't see why they wouldn't use an automated shutdown routine once temperature passes a certain point.

My performance review is today. I'm looking for a new job if I don't get an "Excellent" for putting up with this bullshit.

Saw one of my old coworkers at GM down at the bar yesterday. He's in one of GM's other departments now as a Performance Manager (but didn't get boosted to the actual pay rate a manager gets). Which he is salty about. He also has a similar situation to you. He's had no environment to work on for this fairly massive project for like 5 weeks and no resolution in sight. He got pissed off at this and just leaves the office at noon to go do whatever and work on his house lol.

His manager is getting pissed at this but I think my coworker has just had it. Just find another job dude. He was trying when I was still there but got annoyed at the hiring process and stopped.

The guy they assigned to my old job is also apparently an idiot I learned. Part of my requirements on a project were to zip up and document all of the performance scripting I created (Loadrunner mostly and other stuff). The guy in my old position has been struggling to get them to work for 4 months and keeps talking to my coworker for help. Which is lol. Dude expected them to always work for whatever project they were for and has no understanding of things like parameters and test data... nor apparently the skill to fix them for whatever new environments/data those projects have moved to. What a shit show.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So you're saying your replacement can't read documentation? I wish it was easy to fire people. I just spent an hour explaining to one of my subordinates that since he gets sick often, maybe he should save more vacation time for sick time so he doesn't run out of sick time half way through the year. He's had bronchitis for the past three weeks and we've had to listen to his fucking coughing the whole damn time.

It sucks that he gets sick more often than the normal person, but it really bothers me that he does nothing to improve or compensate for that hardship yet complains about not being given enough sick time. I ended up giving him a bad review. The long road to getting rid of this problem is finally started.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Beyond being unable to read documentation he doesn't understand how to reconfigure any of my code for new data or endpoints. He was supposedly a performance engineer for SAP which means he did absolutely nothing in my experience at GM. That and the protocol used to capture traffic on SAP is built for retards who don't understand anything about coding.

Since all of my shit is written in C and uses a lot more than what he is used to he probably just has no idea what to do with it and is getting pressured by his new bosses to figure it out... without any guidance of any kind.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've been that guy, and it sucked ass. Trying to decipher stuff some engineer left behind and no one int he office thought to learn it before they left.

I mean, I can read documentation, and I'm mostly not retarded.. but you get my drift.

Autistic kid I notice picks his ears and eats them during meetings. The whole time..

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
In all honestly he would be better off starting from scratch. But I know those project managers are telling him something like, "why can't you use all the code that TJT left from the last 4 releases to do this? He finished it all on time with that." Meanwhile they don't have a clue what they're talking about.

I imagine my workarounds for GM's stupid infrastructure are supremely confusing though! So looking back on it I can see how that would be terrible to deal with if you don't even know the reason for it. Even with my comments and documentation.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
He created a variable, initialized and never used it.

And he is complaining about you pointing that out.

Tell him he is flat out wrong about that one. That is not nitpicking. Tell him he writes code so other people can read it, and having extra unused variables reduces that.

If he still doesn't get it as him if this is fine.

C:
id = other_id = other_id1 = other_id2 = other_id3 = v other_id4 =other_id6 =other_id5 =other_id =other_id = v other_id = other_id = other_id = other_id = other_id = other_id = other_id = other_id =other_id1 = other_id21 = other_id5 =other_id8 =other_id =other_id7 =other_id = 1;

and see his reaction.

Also you don't have to explain to him. Reject the code review if he keeps doing this.

Solution: code standard. If that isn't already illegal in the code standard then add it.