IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
If you don't care / need to make they $$$ you command / should / would - EDU is always needed non-retards in IT.
Not sure I get ya here. I think i kinda understand. Not really interested in IT and can afford to be picky at the moment thankfully. We'll see if it works out!

Siliconemelons

Not sure I get ya here. I think i kinda understand. Not really interested in IT and can afford to be picky at the moment thankfully. We'll see if it works out!

I am saying higher ed has lots of opportunities for careers in various IT fields - but your not going to make corporate $$$$.

It however can be rewarding if you buy into the EDU mission and vision- or - plush comfy job where you collect a check and retirement, have tons of vacation and honestly- as they often lack /real/ IT - once you establish yourself, you do what you want as they want to keep you.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I am saying higher ed has lots of opportunities for careers in various IT fields - but your not going to make corporate $$$$.

It however can be rewarding if you buy into the EDU mission and vision- or - plush comfy job where you collect a check and retirement, have tons of vacation and honestly- as they often lack /real/ IT - once you establish yourself, you do what you want as they want to keep you.
Gotcha. I dont think it would be a great fit. Don't really but into the mission and vision in higher education. Last job i had was good money, tons of vacation, shitty work environment with boring work. I'd this point id rather do something i enjoy for less and work a lot. I just want to make things.

Siliconemelons

Gotcha. I dont think it would be a great fit. Don't really but into the mission and vision in higher education. Last job i had was good money, tons of vacation, shitty work environment with boring work. I'd this point id rather do something i enjoy for less and work a lot. I just want to make things.

The dude that took over my job when I left was like that- he was a virtualization dude for his entire career in manufacturing end points / robots etc.

He retired and moved to FL and said retirement was dumb- worked for local government branch of public health and fixed all their endpoint virtualization stuff and wanted a challenge... well... he got one :) not that I left him a shit situation- but I just started an endpoint virtualization department and got it out of POC and beta into real time production cross 1/3 our campuses - there have been 3 failed endpoint virtualization initiatives during my 20 years at the place- so getting it out of beta/poc into a real production setting was a big thing, esp politically.

So he had the job of taking what there was and getting it all ready for that other 2/3rds etc. I am friends with him on FB and he's loving it, he gets to do what he wants, is challenged and can f-off and fly helicopters whenever he wants lol.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I need a new fucking job.

This place is garbage now that they don't pay me overtime but expect me to work my tickets and plan major patch implementations and fill out change requests and get approvals signed by my managers and the customers' IT managers for things happening on the other side of the fucking planet on my days off anyway.

They haven't actually made me salary yet so this is just illegal as fuck.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
The dude that took over my job when I left was like that- he was a virtualization dude for his entire career in manufacturing end points / robots etc.

He retired and moved to FL and said retirement was dumb- worked for local government branch of public health and fixed all their endpoint virtualization stuff and wanted a challenge... well... he got one :) not that I left him a shit situation- but I just started an endpoint virtualization department and got it out of POC and beta into real time production cross 1/3 our campuses - there have been 3 failed endpoint virtualization initiatives during my 20 years at the place- so getting it out of beta/poc into a real production setting was a big thing, esp politically.

So he had the job of taking what there was and getting it all ready for that other 2/3rds etc. I am friends with him on FB and he's loving it, he gets to do what he wants, is challenged and can f-off and fly helicopters whenever he wants lol.
Yeah, I'd like something challenging. Unlike my previous co-workers, i don't aspire to watch netflix on company time.

Are you still working IT in higher edu?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I need a new fucking job.

This place is garbage now that they don't pay me overtime but expect me to work my tickets and plan major patch implementations and fill out change requests and get approvals signed by my managers and the customers' IT managers for things happening on the other side of the fucking planet on my days off anyway.

They haven't actually made me salary yet so this is just illegal as fuck.
Is this the same place you worked at years ago and were complaining about? Why in the fuck would you still work there?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Is this the same place you worked at years ago and were complaining about? Why in the fuck would you still work there?

Is this your first time talking to Mist? She loves being miserable. Its kind of her thing.

As for people suggesting EDU, as someone who got out after 17 years, just no. Not anymore. Even ignoring the politics at such places driving you insane, there are a ton of negatives. Teachers unions basically get to shit on you directly with zero pushback. You are ALWAYS strapped for resources. They ALWAYS want you to work holiday periods for refreshes and changeovers. And now, with coronachan, you are forced to support a bunch of retards for online teaching who can barely click a mouse. Also, the complete flagrant disregard for security standards will drive you fucking insane in education. Its steady work, but not good for your mental well being.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Some combination of stupidity and the fact that they doubled my pay and let me work infinite hours. Working 80-90 hours a week was fun when they were paying me for 80-90 hours a week. Now they're giving me 60 hours a week worth of work and paying me for 40.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Some combination of stupidity and the fact that they doubled my pay and let me work infinite hours. Working 80-90 hours a week was fun when they were paying me for 80-90 hours a week. Now they're giving me 60 hours a week worth of work and paying me for 40.
idk, telecom isn't down like other sectors, you could make a fortune if you moved with your skillsets.Be miserable somewhere else for more money.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Is this your first time talking to Mist? She loves being miserable. Its kind of her thing.

As for people suggesting EDU, as someone who got out after 17 years, just no. Not anymore. Even ignoring the politics at such places driving you insane, there are a ton of negatives. Teachers unions basically get to shit on you directly with zero pushback. You are ALWAYS strapped for resources. They ALWAYS want you to work holiday periods for refreshes and changeovers. And now, with coronachan, you are forced to support a bunch of retards for online teaching who can barely click a mouse. Also, the complete flagrant disregard for security standards will drive you fucking insane in education. Its steady work, but not good for your mental well being.
Working for the school district was fun when we were getting grants to buy new shit all the time and totally fucking boring when we weren't doing projects.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I guess I could see K-12 being sort of ok, if you can stand the wokathon. But college level was just ludicrous game of thrones shit in RL to get anything done.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
idk, telecom isn't down like other sectors, you could make a fortune if you moved with your skillsets.Be miserable somewhere else for more money.
Yeah I'm just burning through 2 years of PTO they owe me from not taking any days off and working every holiday and waiting for the right offer letter.

Even though there are jobs in telecom/infrastructure/datacenter, the whole hiring process for every company that's reached out to me just moves so slowly right now.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I guess I could see K-12 being sort of ok, if you can stand the wokathon. But college level was just ludicrous game of thrones shit in RL to get anything done.
Yeah college IT sucks. I did that for 18 months. Trying to run an enterprise scale network when you need to find a union guy to open closets with your switches in them is a joke.

The thing I hated most about K-12 IT is that every department was starved for funds while the SPEDs could buy top end laptops every year that they didn't need for anything.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I've got two questions for all of you Python programmers out there.

1. Have any of you heard of TinyDB? It's a small database application that allows you move data in and out of database, without having the MySQL/Mongo/NoSQL/ etc overhead. Of course, when it comes to sharing info among distributed networks it gets roflstomped. Or stuff where you'd need ACID.

2. How good is TinyDB for learning how to move data in to and out of a database? Not the exact specifics of it, I realize there are gonna be significant differences. But just generally?

I asked this on discord some hours ago and got ignored.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've got two questions for all of you Python programmers out there.

1. Have any of you heard of TinyDB? It's a small database application that allows you move data in and out of database, without having the MySQL/Mongo/NoSQL/ etc overhead. Of course, when it comes to sharing info among distributed networks it gets roflstomped. Or stuff where you'd need ACID.

2. How good is TinyDB for learning how to move data in to and out of a database? Not the exact specifics of it, I realize there are gonna be significant differences. But just generally?

I asked this on discord some hours ago and got ignored.

What's your use case? I've never used this but it appears that you're just storing your DB in a size-limit document? If it's just for practice you'd be better served practicing on something that uses SQL or handling JSON a la Mongo.

From what their documentation says it appears that you'd only really learn ho to use TinyDB by using it. Or sandboxing some very specific data.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm not a dev like some of these guys but I've had to build my own tools and mostly use python or go. For our purposes, we use mongo mostly, json is easy and mongo outperformed sqlite and mysql for the dbs we were building and for integrating into elk. I might give that tinydb a shot, we had one tool that was using mongo to incoorporate data on targets from shodan, maxmind, and a few other sources and when you get into the millions of hosts range the db performance gets pretty awful. But I'm betting my time (and possibly yours) would be better spent finding out how to get better performance out of more mainstream db products like mongo.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
It's just a simple GUI address book for now. I thought I had to use regex to solve how to search. Boy was I wrong.

EDIT : Also, what tools are you talking about? About the only tool that I can really find that will be helpful to me, really, is a GUI for youtube-dl.