IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
We had our interns present their projects today. 75% of them were, "developers" who spent the first 5+ minutes of their 15 minute presentation virtue signaling about whatever and then 10 minutes on their project that required zero coding.

There were two aspy nerds who were actual coders who made some cool shit though. We had 12 interns this summer.

• 1Picard
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
We had our interns present their projects today. 75% of them were, "developers" who spent the first 5+ minutes of their 15 minute presentation virtue signaling about whatever and then 10 minutes on their project that required zero coding.

There were two aspy nerds who were actual coders who made some cool shit though. We had 12 interns this summer.
IMG_20200814_150419.gif

• 1Like
  • 1Cringe

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
spent the first 5+ minutes of their 15 minute presentation virtue signaling about whatever
Not surprising. That is exactly how it worked in school/college for them to get good grades.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I mean... I must be confused or something... Then what were their projects?

Ahem. There was a cute LatinX girl, I forget her name, but she said she was LatinX in her presentation. This impacted her perspective on software engineering and getting things done which she also said. Additionally she grew up poor in Los Angeles or something. Anyway, she made something in Jira (maybe? IDK what she used) that helps womyn in tech at the company plan coffee dates.

Lawrence the Asian student shuffled around while staring at his feet. But he created an application that worked with our product to make some things more efficient for our sales engineers. It was pretty cool actually. Had a nice interface.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Ahem. There was a cute LatinX girl, I forget her name, but she said she was LatinX in her presentation. This impacted her perspective on software engineering and getting things done which she also said. Additionally she grew up poor in Los Angeles or something. Anyway, she made something in Jira (maybe? IDK what she used) that helps womyn in tech at the company plan coffee dates.

Lawrence the Asian student shuffled around while staring at his feet. But he created an application that worked with our product to make some things more efficient for our sales engineers. It was pretty cool actually. Had a nice interface.
Lawrence sounds like a white supremacist.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Srsly? Hopefully they weren't paid interns? I mean, WTF?

When I think of an intern, I think of somebody who helps the company maybe 5% of the time. You know, 'cause they don't know shit about software development. I never in my life thought that somebody would be coming up with a dating app (for women only, no less) and then presenting that.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
No no, they were paid. And interns usually get the pet projects your devs haven't' had time to do or the scut work that is time-consuming, but necessary, and the devs don't want to do it.

Not that ours did I guess. But I don't work with the interns so whatever.

Last edited:

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
but she said she was LatinX in her presentation. This impacted her perspective on software engineering and getting things done which she also said
There is fishing for compliments, and then there is fishing for pity.
no.jpg

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Pretty sure if I ever hear a professional presentation outside of HR bullshit that includes any virtue signaling whatsoever my first question to them will be why the fuck that matters to Project X?

• 2Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Pretty sure if I ever hear a professional presentation outside of HR bullshit that includes any virtue signaling whatsoever my first question to them will be why the fuck that matters to Project X?

But they'll call you racist or sexist or start to cry or something like that

• 1Truth!

ransomvik

Trakanon Raider
LatinX. Another made up woke word to keep track of. I miss the old days of calling them wet back coders.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Barf

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
  • 1Tiresome

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Actual ticket story from a few months ago, just prior to COVID:

Intermittent one-way audio/no dialtone on IP phones.

2 days troubleshooting remotely, can't find anything wrong other than the customer's network engineers having no idea what they're doing.

Customer blames the voice gateways, wants all new hardware sent to site, even though the customer (a Fortune ranked premium retailer) is currently in bankruptcy proceedings and on credit-hold.

Send tech to site, first thing he does when he gets there is shoot me a pic:

actualrack.png

• 1WTF
  • 1Seriously?