IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Well, can't go into too much detail but gonna jump back on the job hunt...

After all the shit happening this past year I reallyyyy don't want to move. Unfortunately a lot of tech jobs in my area aren't really utilizing any of the tech stacks I want to work in. It's either DoD contractor jobs (no thanks) or gaming (no thanks). Slim pickings. Had a few good looking opportunities pop up but no dice.

I don't wanna do remote. I wanna be around ppl but also don't wanna move. People who work remote, is it isolating?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
So the lead developer on our team wants to start migrating our classic .NET application to .NET Core. Personally, I think this is insane. Our application is very old -- an ASP.NET WebForms app which began its life in the mid 2000s. Now, the WebForms portion of the application can't be migrated and he knows that. But he wants us to start porting the data layer and some services to the .NET Standard framework (Standard allows interoperability between classic .NET and Core code).

The problem is, the way our solution is structured, we have a bajillion projects and from what I gather there's no simple re-targeting a project to the new framework. Seems we'll have to manually re-create all of them and port the code over.

The point of this post, though, is that I'm curious what you guys do when you have newer releases of your platform - be it .NET, Java, Node.Js, whatever. Do you bother upgrading to newer versions just for the hell of it? Or only do so when its necessary (i.e. bug fixes that impact your product, security fixes, etc.)? We've always upgraded to the next minor revision of .NET because people want to feel warm and fuzzy that they're running the latest version. I disagree with this and think its adding risk to our product for zero benefit.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So the lead developer on our team wants to start migrating our classic .NET application to .NET Core. Personally, I think this is insane. Our application is very old -- an ASP.NET WebForms app which began its life in the mid 2000s. Now, the WebForms portion of the application can't be migrated and he knows that. But he wants us to start porting the data layer and some services to the .NET Standard framework (Standard allows interoperability between classic .NET and Core code).

The problem is, the way our solution is structured, we have a bajillion projects and from what I gather there's no simple re-targeting a project to the new framework. Seems we'll have to manually re-create all of them and port the code over.

The point of this post, though, is that I'm curious what you guys do when you have newer releases of your platform - be it .NET, Java, Node.Js, whatever. Do you bother upgrading to newer versions just for the hell of it? Or only do so when its necessary (i.e. bug fixes that impact your product, security fixes, etc.)? We've always upgraded to the next minor revision of .NET because people want to feel warm and fuzzy that they're running the latest version. I disagree with this and think its adding risk to our product for zero benefit.
Wouldn't doing that mean you have less transition once it comes to moving to the newest version?

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well, can't go into too much detail but gonna jump back on the job hunt...

After all the shit happening this past year I reallyyyy don't want to move. Unfortunately a lot of tech jobs in my area aren't really utilizing any of the tech stacks I want to work in. It's either DoD contractor jobs (no thanks) or gaming (no thanks). Slim pickings. Had a few good looking opportunities pop up but no dice.

I don't wanna do remote. I wanna be around ppl but also don't wanna move. People who work remote, is it isolating?
Depends on your work ethic and how much of a self starter you are. Personally, I fucked around a fair amount, but always stayed on top of my work and got way more done when I was fully remote for a while recently. Then you got people who can't help themselves and let shit slide while they play cyberdick77 on their TV. If you are the kind of person who knocks out work before goofing off and are fine using chat to keep in the loop with your team, then yeah its fine. If you hate being micromanaged and just power through shit, you will thrive at it. If you have a goldfish attention span and constantly dick around with work in your bucket, then no I do not think it will go well. Short version, it all comes down to how you manage distraction and prioritize.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Wouldn't doing that mean you have less transition once it comes to moving to the newest version?
Sure. Hypothetically speaking, if one was on .NET 3.5 and suddenly realized you needed to upgrade to 4.8 then you might be in a world of hurt doing regression analysis on all those interim releases. So in that regard, sure, that makes sense.

Personally, I have the mindset of, "If it ain't broke don't fix it." Going through this massive effort to convert our projects to be .NET Core compatible is pointless. Nothing external will ever use the existing data providers and services.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Going through the final loop interview w/ Amazon here in a few days (video engineering). Anybody here had the pleasure (or pain) of working for Amazon on the tech side? Any advice on the loop interview? There is a fuckton of documentation on this, which I can find on my own, but was more looking for anybody's anecdotal thoughts and or advice on the process.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

Great news!
Skip standard and go straight to dotnet core 5. You wont regret it.
Start reading into DI and you'll love it in no time.

You will replace a lot of inheritance for interfaces and that is good. Also your testing will improve exponentially.

I'm full on the dotnet bandwagon and DI.

To start you gain AWS lambda support at a very low cost.
Also if your technology stack is too old, you will run into personnel problems as no one will know your technology. Then you will run into packages being deprecated.

Basically, if you dont improve your system.. you will lose.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
Going through the final loop interview w/ Amazon here in a few days (video engineering). Anybody here had the pleasure (or pain) of working for Amazon on the tech side? Any advice on the loop interview? There is a fuckton of documentation on this, which I can find on my own, but was more looking for anybody's anecdotal thoughts and or advice on the process.

If you get hired you will learn the meaning of churn n burn. They are not known as a great company to work within the same hiring tier.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Got a taste of working with the backend of Jira this week.

That platform is a massive, steaming pile of shit. I had no idea it was so retarded.

You want to add two numbers together on a ticket with some kind of function? That requires 50 lines of code and new custom fields to contain the script, and you have to configure it in like 30 places.

Fucking why. I guess its okay out of the box for sprints and linking to code overall. But fiddling with it is absolute AIDS of the highest order.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah you have to be a global administrator to create custom fields too which is super dogshit design. I don't even think the custom fields table has any ties to projects whatsoever. It's just one big old table that any project can use - which I suppose is why you have to be a global admin.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
People don't understand what they are getting into when they wanna perform all their crazy workflows. 800 hours later they're like hey I finally got it transition from this column to that one when I fill out x field, cool. No thanks.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I don't normally work on this shit but someone wanted to have their proposed hours and whatnot add up into a total hours thing. I foolishly thought this would take 10 seconds to do like it would on any other even remotely similar platform.

12+ hours later of reading documentation, dicking with stuff, coding stuff and I get it to do this. I sit there and think I must truly be retarded and brain damaged. There absolutely MUST be a better and easier way to do this. Why am I too stupid to find it? I hit up the Jira dev discord and they tell me that this is the way. I was fucking floored.

Get to the end and tell the guys who asked for this that in order for your stupid ass ticket types to do this and save you 5 seconds of mental addition we will need to delete the old custom field and replace it with the new scripted version. As not even the field types can be changed (or at least I can't. But I can make custom fields so IDK). Deleting this value from all of your tickets. At this time they said, "hold up. We don't want that, can you just put in a sum function on the ticket like in Salesforce or something?"

Then I explained the retardation I'd discovered and they were also shocked. So we discarded it and canned all work but the most important of changes in Jira forever.

• 1Like

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
I did something similar for subtask hours to roll-up to the main issue due to R&D credit tracking. Had an intern do it as a plug-in and the package/API/SDK thing they gave you was broken. That was the first vote of confidence.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
All of those tools are only as good as the people implementing and using them. They all have their pros and cons and most developers never really learn how to use them properly. Shit gets hacked together and called good enough and 3 years later everyone is standing around blaming the product instead of the users. When the real problem is usually whatever ideological zealots you have in your company pushing for things to be exactly as they specify according to their development religion.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
IDK about Azure DevOps but I always worked well with Team Foundation Server if there's any similarity between those two products.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
IDK about Azure DevOps but I always worked well with Team Foundation Server if there's any similarity between those two products.
spiritual successor? not really sure.

Need something to manage my teams tasks/projects etc... we're learning toward JIRA but also have ADO as an option. It's sort of shit since we're half ops/half projects.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ao- Ao-

Jira is fine out of the box. It sucks dick if you have to make any special weird shit. If youre just doing basic ticket/project management and sprints its totally fine.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Best way to box up u2 and u4 servers for shipping across country when you dont have any of the original packaging?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I watched a couple of hack the box videos ... about manipulating binaries, this guy showed how you could overflow a buffer, cause a segmentation fault, and then have it load up a new function after. Interesting!