IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Curious if anyone here has given this a shot:

It's really good at providing examples of stuff you can then apply. That's how I've been using it.

Its way more efficient than reading a dozen articles, understanding, then trying to write it. It will straight up show you working code that demonstrates whatever principle you're looking for.

Big time saver for sure.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This is why ChatGPT is badass. Zuora has famously dogshit documentation that's always incomplete and out of date. Like lots of enterprise software. However, if you just need an example of a correct payload so you don't have to spend awhile fucking with it to get it right before you complete the automation that you were actually trying to do chad chatGPT just does that for you.

If you contacted Zuora enterprise support you wouldn't have received this clear of an answer.

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 8.06.00 AM.png

• 3Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am finally closing in on firing my shitty report.

The guy isn't a complete idiot but he has to be handheld through just about everything. Without extremely explicit and direct instructions he does nothing. Ever. On top of that when he does do stuff he gets hung up on the stupidest shit and doesn't complete tasks because of it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Doesn't stackoverflow still need to exist to train the AI? I thought stackoverflow, and many other things, was part of the corpus.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Probably so. But that begs the question, what happens when everyone abandons GPT's sources of info for GPT itself?
GPT is an intelligent, interactive filter that presents it's results in a conversational format. It's just a better google. Unless it starts building it's own reservoir of information, it won't work without those sources.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
GPT is an intelligent, interactive filter that presents it's results in a conversational format. It's just a better google. Unless it starts building it's own reservoir of information, it won't work without those sources.
Yeah, right now GPT effectively doesn't learn from the interactions in the chat sessions it has. That will likely change.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I can't wait for the internet to coerce ChatGPT into "learning" that Hitler did nothing wrong.

Or, that Ossoi really loves dog dick.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
As more students realize that ChatGPT can write five-paragraph essays as good as—if not significantly better than—what they’re capable of, teachers are scrambling for tools that can detect whether they’re grading the writing of a young human or a young robot.

I know a lot of us are a bit old but the 2015-2023 period has been a revolution in lazy students. Chegg.com is a site for example where you can outsource your college homework to India on a subscription model. Further advanced by aggregating questions, exams, quizzes, and other answers (like Stackoverflow sortof) across the entire Western university system. Which our champion ChatGPT also uses for increased hilarity.

Crazy to think that back when I was attending in 2010 I felt dirty for using Wolfram Alpha sometimes. How little did I know where it would end up back then.

• 3Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I finally got to fire my report who didn't do shit.

My thoughts on this. My company is aggressively growing from true startup to actual company. I was the 168th hire and we have >1000 now. We went from like $30M annual revenue when I started in 2019 and we are now almost at $500M. During this time most of the work I was doing was solving critical problems as fast as I could. My solutions weren't always the best but I did get it done. Years later looking back I realize how much better I could have done this or that. Now I am doing technical debt refactoring a lot.

Anyway, my point being was that this hire was not an idiot. But without explicit step by step instructions he just couldn't do anything. It became a waste of my time to talk to him because in the time it took me to handhold him through whatever I could have just done it myself without saying anything. When what I expect from people at the company is that you work here you solve problems. I don't know the answer that's why you have a job and I expected this from this guy as well. But he just couldn't cut it. Got hung up on details constantly that just didn't matter.

Like he spent 4 months on a project that I would have finished in a week. Ultimately producing nothing. This was a mid-level developer making $150k mind you.

Last edited:
  • 2WTF
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I finally got to fire my report who didn't do shit.

My thoughts on this. My company is aggressively growing from true startup to actual company. I was the 168th hire and we have >1000 now. We went from like $30M annual revenue when I started in 2019 and we are now almost at $500M. During this time most of the work I was doing was solving critical problems as fast as I could. My solutions weren't always the best but I did get it done. Years later looking back I realize how much better I could have done this or that. Now I am doing technical debt refactoring a lot.

Anyway, my point being was that this hire was not an idiot. But without explicit step by step instructions he just couldn't do anything. It became a waste of my time to talk to him because in the time it took me to handhold him through whatever I could have just done it myself without saying anything. When what I expect from people at the company is that you work here you solve problems. I don't know the answer that's why you have a job and I expected this from this guy as well. But he just couldn't cut it. Got hung up on details constantly that just didn't matter.

Like he spent 4 months on a project that I would have finished in a week. Ultimately producing nothing. This was a mid-level developer making $150k mind you.
Come over to big tech. You’d be shocked at the people they let in (or maybe not 🙃)