IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The most lucrative software eng jobs usually have extensive interviews. Leetcode + behavioral + system design.

Dunno though, it seems like a lot of people are IT folks and not software engineers. I can’t really speak to the IT interview experience.
I've only ever worked at 3 companies since graduating university. Some required a little whiteboarding but I never had to do leetcode faggotry or anything.

Of the hundreds of interviews I have done very few actually pressed you on leetcode or similar.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Pay is a bit on the low end which is probably why they try to get you in the door with the theme park..

• 1Moron

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I've only ever worked at 3 companies since graduating university. Some required a little whiteboarding but I never had to do leetcode faggotry or anything.

Of the hundreds of interviews I have done very few actually pressed you on leetcode or similar.
What’s your total comp for each of your two jobs?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Pay is a bit on the low end which is probably why they try to get you in the door with the theme park..

Look bro you can lie about whatever, I don't really care.

A $150k job at wherever is still good shit to the average person. Most people don't expect FAANG salaries ever.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Its Foler....

• 1Truth!

Khane

Job 1: $195
Job 2: ~$190 (bigger bonuses though)

I should have done what you're doing, and I actually started looking about 4 years ago to do exactly that, but this job has sucked all the life out of me and killed all my ambition in the process.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Jesus, and here I felt good about finally breaking $100k a while back. Though, I think I'm generally younger and less experienced than most folks here. And, well, also just less ambitious. A thing I do worry about, though, is I'm stuck in a pretty stagnant spot at my current job, and have basically become the keeper of some very niche and very dirty POCs my brother wrote that turned into shit we sold and is basically the backbone of an entire business unit. Most of my time here has been learning and working with stuff specific to maintaining this thing that's not really useful elsewhere in the company, much less at any other company out there.

For anyone else who's been in this spot, what do you do to make sure you still stay relevant and keep your skills up to date?

Khane

Jesus, and here I felt good about finally breaking $100k a while back. Though, I think I'm generally younger and less experienced than most folks here. And, well, also just less ambitious. A thing I do worry about, though, is I'm stuck in a pretty stagnant spot at my current job, and have basically become the keeper of some very niche and very dirty POCs my brother wrote that turned into shit we sold and is basically the backbone of an entire business unit. Most of my time here has been learning and working with stuff specific to maintaining this thing that's not really useful elsewhere in the company, much less at any other company out there.

For anyone else who's been in this spot, what do you do to make sure you still stay relevant and keep your skills up to date?

You just keep teaching yourself new tech. I used to do that religiously and got completely disinterested and turned off by the move to managed services and cloud development suites. It's easier than ever to learn and more annoying than ever to be able to practice.

Once upon a time you could buy (lol) or download IDEs and SDKs and just do whatever the fuck you wanted on your local machine while learning. Can't really do that anymore with things like Azure and AWS.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
just got an email from HR at a large medical records company after a first round interview asking me to schedule a battery of 3 exams before proceeding to the next interview? And these are like fully proctored shit like you have to take for vendor certs etc:
If this is icanotes please tell them their software is garbage.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Job 1: $195
Job 2: ~$190 (bigger bonuses though)
Not bad. I’d rather just have the same/higher combined TC at one job than split between two jobs personally. Good for you though. Sounds like you’re crushing it.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Its Foler....
You can lash out all you want but it doesn’t change the reality that retard Folgers is in the 99% percentile of tech absolutely crushing it with the big dogs. 🤷‍♂️

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
My first (real post college) job was 80k, as I went up I did notice my life getting much more comfortable and pleasant. I’m now 42 and I can say anything over about 150k doesn’t lure me much unless it is an insane RSU or other ownership deal. I broke whatever barrier that makes my life pleasant with good savings and retirement and now I care about time and QoL more than money……but I earned that luxury over 20ish years of doing 3 startups 1 after another that all happened to exit well.

im on my 4th now and I will 100% be done after this. I may still work but only If golden opportunity hit. The people above are right though, outside of hardworking bright people and big cities, that kind of money is unheard of. I dated n amazing girl who was a tax assessor in some small town, maybe made 40k. Tech and the like industries have everyone believing we all deserve 500k and a company car. It’s fucked up.

as Always, depends on age and life factors, etc, but my general rule would be suck it up in 20’s unless you have a family and after about 120k or so stop caring about money and focus more on life and where you live. sure we all want yachts but the next couple thousand after that don’t matter unless you are a degenerate.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

Relax first. Second - figure out your goals. Some people are cool with a steady lifer career that pays pretty decent, some will work poverty pay in defense so they only work 10 hours a week, some will play the game and grind their way up to 500k++++ TC. All these things come with trader-offs - lifestyle, money, WLB, location, etc. Figure that out and then work backwards from there.

You need to know where you want to go first and then figure out how to get there, you know?

Khane

You try too hard Foler "pay is a bit on the low end". You're oblivious and sound almost as dumb as that other dipshit who stopped posting here long ago... what was his name? Vinen?

• 1Like
  • 1Salty

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
My first (real post college) job was 80k, as I went up I did notice my life getting much more comfortable and pleasant. I’m now 42 and I can say anything over about 150k doesn’t lure me much insane it is an insane RSU or other ownership deal. I broke whatever barrier that makes my life pleasant with good savings and retirement and now I care about time and QoL more than money……but I earned that luxury over 20ish years of doing 3 startups 1 after another that all happened to exit well.

im on my 4th now and I will 100% be done after this. I may still work but only If golden opportunity hit. The people above are right though, outside of hardworking bright people and big cities, that kind of money is unheard of. I dated n amazing girl who was a tax assessor in some small town, maybe made 40k. Tech and the like industries have everyone believing we all deserve 500k and a company car. It’s fucked up.

as Always, depends on age and life factors, etc, but my general rule would be suck it up in 20’s unless you have a family and after about 120k or so stop caring about money and focus more on life and where you live. sure we all want yachts but the next couple thousand after that don’t matter unless you are a degenerate.
Totally agree in the aspect I think it’s best to grind in the 20s and early 30s then taper off. I’d probably up that number to around 500k TC instead of 120k though and save/invest like crazy. Then start to taper down/be more flexible with pay in 30s and definitely in 40s

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
You try too hard Foler "pay is a bit on the low end". You're oblivious and sound almost as dumb as that other dipshit who stopped posting here long ago... what was his name? Vinen?
I mean for a software engineer it’s on the lower end. It’s higher than defense/aerospace so I’ll give it that. Do note I say for a software engineer. I think a lot of you are IT(?) which it may be higher end for you.

Khane

It is absolutely not the lower end for a developer/engineer. I've been a developer since 2005.

Are you not aware that every single company needs software and that not every single company is based in Silicon Valley or Austin TX?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Not bad. I’d rather just have the same/higher combined TC at one job than split between two jobs personally. Good for you though. Sounds like you’re crushing it.
I don't believe for a single second that you have a $400k developer job as an IC at a FAANG company. But more power to you bro.

• 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I should have done what you're doing, and I actually started looking about 4 years ago to do exactly that, but this job has sucked all the life out of me and killed all my ambition in the process.
Lets not pretend like I am some genius because really Im a retard and fell into this. It wasn't some grand design.

How this happend?
  1. Rona happened, I kept the job I had.
  2. I was so bored I started interviewing for other jobs. Being at home all day really killed any dead time in my tasks and I was absolutely killing it.
  3. Found another job but I did really like my current job and they threw money at me to stay. I stayed.
  4. Got bored again and found a consulting job doing almost the exactly the same shit I was already doing but on a slightly different tech stack.
  5. Billed the shit out of them and they never complained.
  6. 1.5 years later they asked me to come full time. I told the director I had another job and he said he didn't care.
  7. That was 2 years ago now lol.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users